Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

34 minutes ago, useless said:

Morgan Rogers is a good player and someone I wondered if we might go for because of his connection to the Albion academy but I wouldn't expect him to be part of any deal for Grealish, and not sure he's a £10m player, at first team level he's had one decent season in League One; a couple of weeks ago he was being linked to Palace for £6m that seems like a fairer valuation to me.

His comment on Iroegbunam's instagram yesterday made me wonder, can't remember what it was exactly but seemed very positive about Iroegbunam signing for us almost as if he was going to join him, but I'm sure that was me reading too much into it.

He's clearly available, even if we dont sell Jack he's looks a talent worth buying.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Cantwell?, r u ok m8?, Grealish > Cantwell is like Kate Beckinsale to Jabba the Hut.

I'm just using the reported interest in Cantwell. Of course Grealish is better, but that will be the case with all of our signings for the next couple of windows anyway.

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

What we need now is the club to unequivocally come out and say he's not for sale.

Even if that is the case, and we all hope it is, they'll want to show Jack the respect of consulting him first to establish his wishes - assuming they don't already know he wants to go. 

So Monday, hopefully.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

I'm just using the reported interest in Cantwell. Of course Grealish is better, but that will be the case with all of our signings for the next couple of windows anyway.

Ye, lets just hope the Cantwell stuff isnt true, he really isnt what we need.

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's true. Ornstein reported it. He is 'Tier 1'.

The £25m bit is daft. I think it would need to be £40m+. 

These are the opening shot bids, to unsettle the player and start the ball rolling. No good going in at £40m, you want the player doing your bidding too.

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

These are the opening shot bids, to unsettle the player and start the ball rolling. No good going in at £40m, you want the player doing your bidding too.

Exactly. If you also know clubs are going to add £10 million to a price because of Grealish's potential move, why start budding at £35 million plus, you're just costing yourself more in the long run.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we can do better if we're still looking for a CAM, which I hope we are.

If I can spell his name without looking... de Arrascaeta, who we were linked with early in the window - about the same time as that Tier 1 legend at the Guardian got the scoop on our JWP interest. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Cantwell?, r u ok m8?, Grealish > Cantwell is like Kate Beckinsale to Jabba the Hut.

I think we will be looking at Buendia stepping up to try and fill Jack's creative output.  The thing about Cantwell is that he would already be on Buendia's wavelength and by the sounds of things would be available at a decent price.  If Jack does leave then the club will probably have to play the percentages with signings and this kind of thing may come into the equation, as well as improving set pieces through JWP,  maybe having to go 3 at the back, 2 up top and get Tammy in etc.

Love our owners and more than happy to be patient with our build, see my posts in the Dean Smith for evidence of that. 

However, I really hope we stop hearing about these huge plans for the club until we start acting like it. 

So far, we've done nothing really to say we should be finishing top half next year. And potentially losing Jack puts another blow towards that. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Love our owners and more than happy to be patient with our build, see my posts in the Dean Smith for evidence of that. 

However, I really hope we stop hearing about these huge plans for the club until we start acting like it. 

So far, we've done nothing really to say we should be finishing top half next year. And potentially losing Jack puts another blow towards that. 

There is no "build" when at any point the best players will be cherry picked away and sold as they won't stay once a sky 6 wankfest team come calling..

We can't build by constantly selling the better players. We won't attract better players because we just sold the best one. We will forever be nothing but a stepping stone.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It’s a process. We came up and had players worth £2-15m in most positions. Then it’s £15-30m, now £30-£50m etc. 

We’re making that progression remarkably quickly and it bodes well for the future. 

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

There is no "build" when at any point the best players will be cherry picked away and sold as they won't stay once a sky 6 wankfest team come calling..

We can't build by constantly selling the better players. We won't attract better players because we just sold the best one. We will forever be nothing but a stepping stone.

Leicester have been successful following this model. Mahrez, Kante and Maguire all sold, just to name a few.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Leicester have been successful following this model. Mahrez, Kante and Maguire all sold, just to name a few.

Don’t forget Drinkwater, great business by Leicester, they are a very well run football club I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Lot of people are looking at emulating Leicester and their success, but selling their top players for big money is very much part of their modus operandi. It's part of the life for smaller economy clubs sadly.

Losing Grealish would suck so much, but it also can not be that surprising that the top clubs come looking when we have such a player.

Brentford, Leicester and to some extent Southampton (when they were following this model) and Tottenham (post Bale) progressed by doing this. The key is having a great recruitment strategy and department to improve the squad with the revenue.

We are improving our recruitment team behind the scenes and have got the majority of  our transfers right in the last 3 years. I'm reasonably confident we would use any money from player sales wisely to enhance the squad. 

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s a process. We came up and had players worth £2-15m in most positions. Then it’s £15-30m, now £30-£50m etc. 

We’re making that progression remarkably quickly and it bodes well for the future. 

Absolutely and the progress has been great. But realistically we aren't getting Europe next season, I think top half will be a challenge. But I think a lot of our fans will expect it because all we hear is about how ambitious they are. 

Our actions so far are not matching a club with aspirations of challenging the big 4/6 clubs in the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wes said:

Including this here in this thread because it involves a link to a potential incoming player in Morgan Rogers. Former West Brom youth player, primarily a winger, who moved to City for quite a large fee for a youth player. Has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace this summer.

I don’t want any of their players. We tried that before when we sold Milner and got Ireland. He was rubbish and no where near good enough. 

• Like 1