Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I am trying to stay away from the hysteria in the JG thread, but as it is now creeping into every other thread, here is my (non-ITK) view.  JG will not be sold this summer.

He has four years left on his contract, we do not need the money and it sends the wrong message from the owners.  This club is on the up and to maintain that momentum, you keep your best players unless the bid is so significant you cannot walk away from it.  That is not £100m for me, it is far more.

If you want to keep going into the JG thread or getting wound up by the numerous (non) experts on twitter or talk sport that is up to you, personally, I would give it a miss as its not worth the angst.

Trust the owners.

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

Including this here in this thread because it involves a link to a potential incoming player in Morgan Rogers. Former West Brom youth player, primarily a winger, who moved to City for quite a large fee for a youth player. Has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace this summer.

Notwithstanding the fact that you just explained who he is:

Who TF is Morgan Rogers???

And why on earth would we be interested in him as part of any part exchange for our best ever academy product and club captain?

Mental.

5 minutes ago, Wes said:

Including this here in this thread because it involves a link to a potential incoming player in Morgan Rogers. Former West Brom youth player, primarily a winger, who moved to City for quite a large fee for a youth player. Has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace this summer.

no idea who Rogers is....but lol im getting Ireland ptsd.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

One thing I am having trouble understanding is.

The owners say they want AVFC to be challenging for the Champions league or at least the Europa league,but then they put in a bid for Bayley of 25m.If you look at the clubs that already qualify for europe season after season,their mininum transfer fee is 30m or thereabouts.So, do we want to challenge for europe or not ? and if we do then the owners have to realise that players costing 15m to 25m wont get us there.

It's business sense.

Why would we go in with a bid of £30-35 million for Bailey straight off the bat? The majority of transfers are rejected at the first bid, it then becomes a negotiation. However there is a possibility that they accept and we save ourselves £5-10 million.

NSWE want to challenge for Europe, but as savvy businessmen they aren't going to do it by overspending their way there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

So here is the question that we don't want to think about but may have to next week...

How do we spend the money if Grealish actually leaves?

Say he ends up leaving for £120 million minimum, and we have around £50 million minimum left in our transfer budget; how do we spend?

We've seen Spurs mess it up with the Bale money; and we've seen Liverpool get it right with the Coutinho money.

Question number one who replaces Grealish? Impossible to directly replace but we will need someone to fill the void and we have a huge budget to do so.

Obviously I hope he stay's, and think he will... but interesting nonetheless.

Thats why for us, I think it will be win/win.....we could improve our balance.

its all down to the prowess of the recruitment team....IF he indeed leaves.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

no idea who Rogers is....but lol im getting Ireland ptsd.....

The crazy thing about this is that Rogers is clearly valued at £10 million in that deal. They signed him for £3 million from West Brom and he's played 25 games on loan in League One, scoring 6 and assisting 4.

Yes he's young and English, but to think he'd cost the same as some people want to sell El Ghazy for. Whatv has happened to football?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wilko154 said:

It's business sense.

Why would we go in with a bid of £30-35 million for Bailey straight off the bat? The majority of transfers are rejected at the first bid, it then becomes a negotiation. However there is a possibility that they accept and we save ourselves £5-10 million.

NSWE want to challenge for Europe, but as savvy businessmen they aren't going to do it by overspending their way there.

I understant what you are saying but its a fine line because while we bid 25m Liverpool could come in and bid 30m and streight away we are on the back foot.

20 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Notwithstanding the fact that you just explained who he is:

Who TF is Morgan Rogers???

And why on earth would we be interested in him as part of any part exchange for our best ever academy product and club captain?

Mental.

Ex WBA youth player. would be known to our coaching staff.

Morgan Rogers is an attacking player, only just turned 19. Capped at England U-15,16,17 and 18 level. Can really play on either wing or centrally behind a striker. Came through West Brom academy (so there's a link there to our current academy staff) then was purchased by City for £4m when he was just 16 - a high price for someone so young.

He is a very-highly regarded youth prospect. There was talk of Palace buying him this summer for their Vieira revolution. I'm not sure about £10m... but his value would certainly have increased from that £4m level from a few years ago.

Still got a lot of room for development. Given how the recruiting staff have aggressively been targetting youth players to join the youth setups recently, with a keen look at the pathway through to the first-team, he would be someone of interest for us. Especially with the ex-West Brom link meaning staff will know him already.

I guess the only issue would be the manner of which he might be joining us...

1 minute ago, Wes said:

Morgan Rogers is an attacking player, only just turned 19. Capped at England U-15,16,17 and 18 level. Can really play on either wing or centrally behind a striker. Came through West Brom academy (so there's a link there to our current academy staff) then was purchased by City for £4m when he was just 16 - a high price for someone so young.

He is a very-highly regarded youth prospect. There was talk of Palace buying him this summer for their Vieira revolution. I'm not sure about £10m... but his value would certainly have increased from that £4m level from a few years ago.

Still got a lot of room for development. Given how the recruiting staff have aggressively been targetting youth players to join the youth setups recently, with a keen look at the pathway through to the first-team, he would be someone of interest for us. Especially with the ex-West Brom link meaning staff will know him already.

I guess the only issue would be the manner of which he might be joining us...

We paid 12 million for Konsa this dude ain't worth anywhere near 10 million. Full faith the board will reject this lame opening bid outright. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

We paid 12 million for Konsa this dude ain't worth anywhere near 10 million. Full faith the board will reject this lame opening bid outright. 

Don't disagree regarding the valuation being perhaps rather higher than we would expect, but hopefully was able to point out that I think the player himself fits the profile of the kind of person the current youth-recruitment team are trying to bring in to the club.

Tried to separate the information about the player from the Grealish-related transfer aspect of it, but can understand at these times that's a really tricky thing to try to pull off!