Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Tuanzebe as a back up / competition to Konsa makes sense. Especially on loan. We deffo need a CB.

I don't think Tuanzebe would come unless he were promised regular games. I don't think we can promise that 

11 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So here is the question that we don't want to think about but may have to next week...

How do we spend the money if Grealish actually leaves?

Say he ends up leaving for £120 million minimum, and we have around £50 million minimum left in our transfer budget; how do we spend?

We've seen Spurs mess it up with the Bale money; and we've seen Liverpool get it right with the Coutinho money.

Question number one who replaces Grealish? Impossible to directly replace but we will need someone to fill the void and we have a huge budget to do so.

Obviously I hope he stay's, and think he will... but interesting nonetheless.

IF it all happens a then we need to model Leicester, where they have consistently re-invested well. Ok a few flops in amongst the good ones, but that’s inevitable.

17 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So here is the question that we don't want to think about but may have to next week...

Say he ends up leaving for £120 million minimum, and we have around £50 million minimum left in our transfer budget; how do we spend?

We've seen Spurs mess it up with the Bale money; and we've seen Liverpool get it right with the Coutinho money.

Question number one who replaces Grealish? Impossible to directly replace but we will need someone to fill the void and we have a huge budget to do so.

Anyone we bring in who is any good will leave anyway. Grealish going sets that standard so what does it actually matter. Next summer it will be Martinez or Konsa etc. And on we go. Never to challenge. The cycle repeats itself.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The danger is the Championship Manager conundrum: get all that money, invest across the pitch and then not know your best eleven for half a season (again). What annoys me most about this Citeh stuff is that it destabilises what was quite a settled side: we could all see where improvement was needed. if Jack goes, the project changes. 

You also end with a load of cruft hanging around, players who used to be near the match day squad, that you can’t shift. 

It all just f-cks with the strategy. I hope the board have modelled what would happen if Jack left…

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Anyone we bring in who is any good will leave anyway. Grealish going sets that standard so what does it actually matter. Next summer it will be Martinez or Konsa etc. And on we go. Never to challenge. The cycle repeats itself.

Very defeatist. I completely appreciate it can feel like we'll get back in to our old cycle of being a selling club, but I think the difference is when the other players left (Yorke, Barry, Milner, Young etc) they were very good players leaving a decent to slowly middling team. This Jack situation is very unique, he's a truly world class player in a decent side. I don't for a second want him gone, but the possibility is still there to reinvest in 2 or three positions and make the overall team a much stronger outfit. Let's not forget we've struggled every time Jack was out injured, and that needs addressing even if he stays. Creating a stronger unit could still give us a boost and push us on a level, rather than having to resort to selling our best players every summer.

Utilise the money like Liverpool did with Coutinho and we could boost the whole club.

That said, I'd much rather we not face that possibility, and I hope common sense prevails and he stays to become a bonafide legend at the club, and takes us with him to where he wants to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where is Tuanzebe going to be promised regular games though? Big risk for a team taking him on with the expectancy of him playing a full season, and I can't see any Premier League club doing so. So come to us (or elsewhere) as 3rd/4th choice CB, possibly 2nd choice RB (hi Steve!) or stay at Utd and be what, 5th choice?

I like Axel, I'd take him on loan. Didn't Mings have a terrible injury record before joining us by the way?

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Where is Tuanzebe going to be promised regular games though? Big risk for a team taking him on with the expectancy of him playing a full season, and I can't see any Premier League club doing so. So come to us (or elsewhere) as 3rd/4th choice CB, possibly 2nd choice RB (hi Steve!) or stay at Utd and be what, 5th choice?

I like Axel, I'd take him on loan. Didn't Mings have a terrible injury record before joining us by the way?

He'd be first choice at Newcastle, where I fully expect him to end up.

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

He'd be first choice at Newcastle, where I fully expect him to end up.

At right back I presume?

Fair enough, I know little about other team's squads. Risky to take him on as first choice though as I said. I would hope it backfired on Bruce, but that would be harsh on Axel.

13 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Very defeatist. I completely appreciate it can feel like we'll get back in to our old cycle of being a selling club, but I think the difference is when the other players left (Yorke, Barry, Milner, Young etc) they were very good players leaving a decent to slowly middling team. This Jack situation is very unique, he's a truly world class player in a decent side. I don't for a second want him gone, but the possibility is still there to reinvest in 2 or three positions and make the overall team a much stronger outfit. Let's not forget we've struggled every time Jack was out injured, and that needs addressing even if he stays. Creating a stronger unit could still give us a boost and push us on a level, rather than having to resort to selling our best players every summer.

Utilise the money like Liverpool did with Coutinho and we could boost the whole club.

That said, I'd much rather we not face that possibility, and I hope common sense prevails and he stays to become a bonafide legend at the club, and takes us with him to where he wants to be.

But history suggests this won't happen. We always go backwards every single time. I guess this time it might be different but all you can do is look at history to see how this goes?

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

But history suggests this won't happen. We always go backwards every single time. I guess this time it might be different but all you can do is look at history to see how this goes?

Yup, it's happened before and it will happen again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Yeah the history isn't good, but that was a history ran by predominantly Lerner and then Xia. After everything NSWE have done in just three years I think they need to be cut some slack even if he does go. History could repeat itself and we could end up a selling club that never truly challenges, but they really don't strike me as the sort of people that would be happy with that.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

One thing I am having trouble understanding is.

The owners say they want AVFC to be challenging for the Champions league or at least the Europa league,but then they put in a bid for Bayley of 25m.If you look at the clubs that already qualify for europe season after season,their mininum transfer fee is 30m or thereabouts.So, do we want to challenge for europe or not ? and if we do then the owners have to realise that players costing 15m to 25m wont get us there.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We should ask for Ferran Torres from City if Jack is going there

Nah man, just make them pay every penny in solid gold bars and contribute to their eventual death by FFP.

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

One thing I am having trouble understanding is.

The owners say they want AVFC to be challenging for the Champions league or at least the Europa league,but then they put in a bid for Bayley of 25m.If you look at the clubs that already qualify for europe season after season,their mininum transfer fee is 30m or thereabouts.So, do we want to challenge for europe or not ? and if we do then the owners have to realise that players costing 15m to 25m wont get us there.

If we're about to buy 4 or 5 quality and expensive players, it's worth making it clear we won't be taken to the cleaners by anyone. 

• Thanks 1

Can we even realistically afford to spend big on another player while also giving Jack £200k per week (£10m a year) and still comply with FFP? 

The silence on transfers makes a lot of sense in light of the Grealish situation. Doubt we're willing to give Bayer £35m until we know what we have to pay Jack to make him stay.

Edited by est1874

15 hours ago, Awol said:

If we're about to buy 4 or 5 quality and expensive players, it's worth making it clear we won't be taken to the cleaners by anyone. 

I realise that but as I said.We bid 15m for that guy from River plate,25m for Bailey and apparently balking at 35m for Tammy.All I am saying is look at what the top 6 clubs spend/bid for players and then decide.Do we want to be one of them,if we do then we have to spend/bid higher. 

If man titty can get away with FFP then here's my new shopping list :

Mbappe, 

Haaland,

Baboucar Kamara/ K. Thuram

Any Defender willing to sit on the bench for Mings and Konsa.

LEFT back - anyone know anyone decent?.

screw you Premier League

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Can we even realistically afford to spend big on another player while also giving Jack £200k per week (£10m a year) and still comply with FFP? 

Just about.

Selling Connor or Anwar would make it easier.

See the details on the FFP thread

Edited by Czarnikjak