Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, eholm said:

Agree mate. Either a relatively low fee (or even a loan), I think he'd be a great addition as 3rd/4th CB still with some potential to improve as well.

Guy is made out of glass bud.

He is barely ever available for selection

• Like 2

Trying to replace Grealish with one ‘big’ signing would be a mistake, imo. First because the few players around of equivalent talent wouldn’t come to us at this stage, and second because building the team around one outstanding figure sets up a future repeat of the Grealish situation. 

If we sign Bailey regardless, then I’d go 4-3-3 and focus on rebuilding the midfield with JWP as the priority target (who else signed a new 5 year contract last year and is at club that doesn’t want to sell their star man? @Kiwivillan) who can play at 6 or 8. I’d try to get Bissouma for the same reason, then Alvarez and Sarr as development signings to cover the front 3 and midfield respectively. 

I think Buendia is going to pick up a lot of the creativity gap left by Grealish if he leaves, but switching to 4-3-3 and really strengthening midfield is how we turn this evolution into a net positive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

but switching to 4-3-3 and really strengthening midfield is how we turn this evolution into a net positive. 

Agreed.

No idea why Smith is so desperate of playing with a 10. It leaves the midfield very exposed.

Just play like Liverpool. 3 hard working midfielders and let the front 3 take care of business.

Grealish, Buendia, Watkins or alternatively Bailey, Watkins, Buendia if Jack leaves coupled with attacking fullbacks should be more than enough attacking threat to get you goals.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Guy is made out of glass bud.

He is barely ever available for selection

Yeah, just wasn't sure if injuries had reduced since he left us and lack of playing time was due to non-selection. Is he still getting regularly injured at United then mate? 

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’d try to get Bissouma

IMHO I think he’s overrated, especially for the £40-£50M being banded about for his signature. 

I’d much rather we went after Tchouameni (1st) or Kamara (2nd) in France personally. 

• Like 2

No thanks to Tuanzebe - great for us in the Championship but hasn’t played enough since and his fitness record isn’t great either to suggest he’ll be a decent premier league player. 

we need to move on

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eholm said:

Yeah, just wasn't sure if injuries had reduced since he left us and lack of playing time was due to non-selection. Is he still getting regularly injured at United then mate? 

Out for 123 days last season...

And that is by not even playing. His chance of injury would just increase if he started to play games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Out for 123 days last season...

And that is by not even playing. His chance of injury would just increase if he started to play games.

Wow.....cheers mate. Moving on..........

1 hour ago, eholm said:

Agree mate. Either a relatively low fee (or even a loan), I think he'd be a great addition as 3rd/4th CB still with some potential to improve as well.

I’d imagine he’s at the stage now where He ain’t going to sign for a new club to be a 3rd/4th choice CB.

• Like 1

I refuse to even consider how we might spend the money that we get for Jack, because he's not leaving, so we won't need to replace him. Let's focus on players that we can add to the squad, we are after all, unlike Arsenal, not a selling club. 

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe these links to Tuanzebe are genuine, it just seems like a lazy link to me as he's played for us previously. I mean even looking at it objectively there are far too many cons outweighing the pros.

Pros:

Knows the club already, can play right back and defensive midfield as well, young enough to improve

Cons:

Would want to play regularly, horrible injury record, high wages, old enough to want to be established ahead of our current players, probably a high loan fee, if successful in the loan would just return to United a better player.

I really don't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I find it hard to believe these links to Tuanzebe are genuine, it just seems like a lazy link to me as he's played for us previously. I mean even looking at it objectively there are far too many cons outweighing the pros.

Pros:

Knows the club already, can play right back and defensive midfield as well, young enough to improve

Cons:

Would want to play regularly, horrible injury record, high wages, old enough to want to be established ahead of our current players, probably a high loan fee, if successful in the loan would just return to United a better player.

I really don't see it happening.

He's only got 1 year left on his contract, so could feasibly join on a free at the end of his loan.

13 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He's only got 1 year left on his contract, so could feasibly join on a free at the end of his loan.

They've got an option for an extra year, so they'd just activate it so they could either keep him, or sell him to us for a fee. Either way, we lose out. There's no way they'd give up an easy pay day.

That said I'd fully back him if he does join, I like the kid and he was great udring the promotion push, I just think there's probably better options out there, for both him and us.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

They've got an option for an extra year, so they'd just activate it so they could either keep him, or sell him to us for a fee. Either way, we lose out. There's no way they'd give up an easy pay day.

Ah, I see--didn't realise that.

He'd be decent as a 4th choice CB but let's be honest, this is very unlikely for loads of reasons (most of which you've already covered).

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Ah, I see--didn't realise that.

He'd be decent as a 4th choice CB but let's be honest, this is very unlikely for loads of reasons (most of which you've already covered).

Yeah I mean I like him, and despite his injury record, I'd welcome him back to see if he can get going, but I just don't see how it benefits him, there's no way he'd go in ahead of Konsa currently, so is cup games for us really going to benefit him? I think for his own career he's better off going somewhere where he'll be told he's first choice. I could see him ending up back with Bruce at Newcastle.

Edited by RichiBoi11

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Trying to replace Grealish with one ‘big’ signing would be a mistake, imo. First because the few players around of equivalent talent wouldn’t come to us at this stage, and second because building the team around one outstanding figure sets up a future repeat of the Grealish situation.

Strong agree with this, though I don't think we will attempt it for the reasons you suggest. It's the Moneyball thing; if you lose a player you literally can't replace, it's pointless trying and you need to find another approach. I hope Smith has given this a lot of thought and has a plan B, though it's pretty inevitable that we're now close enough to the start of the season that we'll start badly and look disorganised if he leaves for at least the first few matches. But at the end of the day, 10 teams finished higher than us in the league last season, who did not have Jack Grealish; it is not literally impossible to play the sport successfully without him in the starting XI.