Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think the coaching staff are largely happy with our CM options but our issue has been that we don’t quite have that AM flair or that DM bite in the players we have currently at the club. 

We would move from a defensive shape to offensive shape with the same players, who don’t quite have the levels needed to execute both effectively.

IMHO what we need is an out and out AM and an all action DM. Added to our midfield options that would allow us to play both defensive and offensive shapes far better than we did last year. 

An AM that had flair but was also a bit of terrier with pressing opposition would suit us when we’re being more aggressive.

A DM that does what Nakamba does but also has the ball playing skills to allow us to build from the back, if we’re in a defensive shape.

Just my two pennies worth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

If he is that good then why is only Newcastle interested when his fee is so low? 

There is quite the wealth of similarish players in that league at the minute.

Not saying they are identical players but the likes of Soumare (Leicester) and Camavinga (United) came to the fore this season. The latter looks a world beater, but more Pogba like. They came ahead of him, particularly with Soumare in the Title Winning team beating out clear favourites PSG. All 3 of them are young ( Kamara 21, Soumare 22, Camavinga 18)

Not to mention the turmoil at Marseille from January, it's not a surprise that there isn't a wealth of huge hype around their players, it wasn't a great campaign really

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

A 5 is a centre back, surely?

Possibly 5 would be a centre back, but you could also have a 5 number as a defensive midfield, eg that gut at Chelsea. but who decided what numbers applied to positions all of a sudden? This is a new thing i assume created by the fifa generation. Yes i am old. Just say the position or role, not some arbitrary number FFS.

21 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Nah I haven't forgot that, I just think that for certain games and situations he'd be suitable for a more advanced role. Running inbetween and behind defenders, arrivng early in the box instead of late. I just don't think our "10" needs to be all that creative when surrounded by a triangle of Grealish, Buendia and Luiz. And especially when adding a Nakamba style DM to that mix I think McGinn's skillset can be suitable for a more advanced role. 

With that said, happy to see him as a more traditional box to box 8 with Sanson as well, or even as one of two 6s. We have the personel to tweak our mdifield into very different types of beasts and that's great. While McGinn clearly has some shortcomings I think he's able to play varous roles in different setups with success

I agree with everything you said. As I see it ESR would more likely be wanted in order to have a rotation option for Jack and Buendia as much as to play 10.  I know the common consensus is to play as the 10, but Jack seems to have an issue with his shins and given how much he gets kicked, I can see it being something he will have manage for at least another season given he simply hasn't had enough time to rest. Throw in that Buendia (while highly rated) has only just joined and we don't know how well he'll do for us getting another playmaker in is necessary if we really want to seriously make a play for European football.

The other option with ESR is to play him left and Jack centrally. This way you have wide players more focused on passing, through balls, and ball retention, Jack carrying the ball out and then playing one twos off them, as well and dictating the tempo. Fullbacks will provide the width and Ollie will work the channels mostly by himself. Then the wildcard McGinn breaking from his DM position and ghosting forward late.

Although we played most of last season with a 4-2-3-1, Smith favours a 4-3-3, so I think he will make the choice of which formation to play based on the opposition and their strengths and weaknesses. As we basically have a team built around Jack, if we lack an advanced playmaker on the pitch we look lost. So Bringing in both Buendia and hopefully ESR will mean we don't have to worry so much there. Also I think their thoughts are that most of our threat comes from the left and so does most of our forward play. So I presume the idea is also make the most of the right hand side. There is a a lot of space there to be exploited, so getting in a player like Buendia who will look to pass into the space, with Cash who will look to overlap, plus McGinn or Sanson on that side if centre mid means teams can't focus their defense on Jack on the left.

I too would love a shadow striker type for the 10 position. I don’t think McGinn has the predatory instincts to play that role. It requires very clever movement as well as quality finishing. McGinn basically plays playground style, chasing the ball. The SS need to make decoy runs, drag player out of positions, peel off their marker, and ghost into space in and around the box. They could do with pace as well.

This Alvarez kid looks more like a shadow striker or a false nine, certainly not an out and out striker. But he also has playmaker qualities with his eye for a pass and dribbling ability.

I actually think Traore would be a great shout for the shadow striker role too. Certainly better than McGinn.

In short getting in another playmaker, will unlock a multitude of formational and tactical possibilities, which will make us a terrifying attacking force, with depth in the case of injury, suspension, or exhaustion.

In short the goal is to create a world class attack to form a platform to get into and stay in Europe for the next 3 to 5 years.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Possibly 5 would be a centre back, but you could also have a 5 number as a defensive midfield, eg that gut at Chelsea. but who decided what numbers applied to positions all of a sudden? This is a new thing i assume created by the fifa generation. Yes i am old. Just say the position or role, not some arbitrary number FFS.

I’d say it’s the opposite, numbers defined positions historically. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

@Wes or any other budding scouts.

Assuming we are moving on from ESR who would be the next viable options for the 10 role in the up and coming £20-35m range? 

Mikel Oyarzabal of Real Sociadad would be the ideal signing for that position imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Mikel Oyarzabal of Real Sociadad would be the ideal signing for that position imo.

Would be a whole lot more than £20m-£35m thou, he also mostly plays at LW

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be a whole lot more than £20m-£35m thou, he also mostly plays at LW

In terms of price I think you're right.

I see that he played the number 10 role quite a bit in and getting into double figures with goals and assists.

Probably a bit of an ambitious suggestion to be fair.

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Not encouraged to read McGinn is possibly going to be converted to a 6, doesn’t suit his game and will cost us if he’s going to continue to be loose in possession and in controlling the ball.

Needs to be converted to a 14.  Coming off the bench and chasing the game.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

viable options for the 10 role in the up and coming £20-35m range? 

I think the No10 we need would be in the £40-50m range and higher personally. £20m wouldn’t even get us Barkley and we’re after an upgrade. 

We might get Kamada for around £25-30m possibly but not sure he plays that central to be honest.

Cherki at Lyon looks good, only 17 though so one for the future perhaps. Lyon would want a tidy price for him as well I think. 

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think the No10 we need would be in the £40-50m range and higher personally. £20m wouldn’t even get us Barkley and we’re after an upgrade. 

Although prices overseas seem to be a bit cheaper at the moment.  But obviously bring increased risk of not settling in as quickly.  But I agree that we probably need to be looking at the top end of the previous range to sign the level of player required to make our front line truly awesome.

• Like 1