Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Sell McGinn? No, no need. I’d rather sell Nakamba if we must sell a midfielder…

We don’t have to sell McGinn to get a quality DM in.

I’d be a little disappointed if we didn’t show any interest in B. Kamara, especially with his contract status and reduced asking price… 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Not a 10 either, not for a decent side. Doesn’t posses anywhere near the quality or technical prowess to be a CAM, imo at least.

To play him there would be more befitting of a small & struggling side with a lack of quality players. I don’t like moves like that, Ollie is another that has been suggested in that manner. No no no…

McGinn’s an 8, a box to box CM.

I disagree, I think the nature of him buzzing around pressing would be of use as the furthest forward central midfielder. 
I don’t think it is his best use but it is certainly better than playing him at 6 if it’s and either or.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Sell McGinn? No, no need. I’d rather sell Nakamba if we must sell a midfielder…

We don’t have to sell McGinn to get a quality DM in.

I’d be a little disappointed if we didn’t show any interest in B. Kamara, especially with his contract status and reduced asking price… 

Sell both and buy two, I don’t think Luis is a 6 I think he plays next to one in a double pivot.

From Kamara’s output and how people rate him 20m is a steal.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not selling either to take punt on foreign player. Some people wanted to sell/drop last season's player's player of the season after 19/20 season. 

I didn’t say we were selling them just that I would if that’s where McGinn fits in the squad. Nakamba will only ever be a backup option.

It seems like years that we have needed a strong, fast, athletic defensive midfielder. I really hope that it gets addressed this summer. The thought of SJM filling in there makes me shudder. It really seems to be a bit of a blind spot for Deano. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not selling either to take punt on foreign player. Some people wanted to sell/drop last season's player's player of the season after 19/20 season. 

It's not just any foreign player, Kamara is one of the most highly rated young players in Europe.

We wouldn't need to sell either anyway given Kamara's price and the fact Luiz is at the Olympics and Nakamba is at the AFCON in January.

Our Achilles heel last season was lack of a proper midfield anchor in front of the back 4.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's not just any foreign player, Kamara is one of the most highly rated young players in Europe.

We wouldn't need to sell either anyway given Kamara's price and the fact Luiz is at the Olympics and Nakamba is at the AFCON in January.

Our Achilles heel last season was lack of a proper midfield anchor in front of the back 4.

If he is that good then why is only Newcastle interested when his fee is so low? 

30 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why’s McGinn changing position, where’s this come from??

We really that low on good quality transfer speculation we have now moved on to position speculation?

I think was from a journalist tweet yesterday that we aren't buying a DM to train McGinn as a 6

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he is that good then why is only Newcastle interested when his fee is so low? 

Not true, Lazio, Milan and Monaco are also looking at him and he's been on the radar of much better teams than Newcastle previously.

He's the sort of DM that we desperately need and can also play CB where we are also currently light. 

Makes an awful lot of sense to consider him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Not a 10 either, not for a decent side. Doesn’t posses anywhere near the quality or technical prowess to be a CAM, imo at least.

To play him there would be more befitting of a small & struggling side with a lack of quality players. I don’t like moves like that, Ollie is another that has been suggested in that manner. No no no…

McGinn’s an 8, a box to box CM.

I prefer McGinn as an box to box 8 as well, but flanked by Grealish and Buendia I reckon he could do very well in a more advanced role. Him and Watkins constantly running into space when we have the ball, and applying high pressure when we don't have it. 

Its all about haveing a range of varous options for me and McGinn is very useful in that sense, he can be deployed in different systems and tactics. He is not a strong DM though, and like many others on here I'd love for us to complement our midfield with that type of a player. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree. A bit like how he plays for Scotland. A wrecking ball of a number 10 would cause chaos and give some defensive solidity as well. His pressing alongside Watkins would be something else

Agree with and its where he fits us best in certain games but a genuine top class creative 10 would push us to another level.

I think SJM could be on for his best season with us but possibly more in rotation if we can bring in the right players.

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree with and its where he fits us best in certain games but a genuine top class creative 10 would push us to another level.

I think SJM could be on for his best season with us but possibly more in rotation if we can bring in the right players.

SJM can cover two or three midfield positions as has been widely discussed in here. He is the perfect squad player for us. Not just to cover injuries or suspensions either, he’s perfect to bring on to inject energy into the midfield for the last 30 minutes. He’d be the last player that a tiring midfielder would want to see coming on. 

Just to add, I think he’ll still play plenty of games. He’ll start in some games depending on who we’re playing and what the coaches think we need. Guaranteed to give his all every time too. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

SJM can cover two or three midfield positions as has been widely discussed in here. He is the perfect squad player for us. Not just to cover injuries or suspensions either, he’s perfect to bring on to inject energy into the midfield for the last 30 minutes. He’d be the last player that a tiring midfielder would want to see coming on. 

Agree Dave, I wouldn't contemplate selling him at this stage. He will start plenty games too and in addition to what you say he is also a brilliant character to have at the club.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

I prefer McGinn as an box to box 8 as well, but flanked by Grealish and Buendia I reckon he could do very well in a more advanced role. Him and Watkins constantly running into space when we have the ball, and applying high pressure when we don't have it. 

Its all about haveing a range of varous options for me and McGinn is very useful in that sense, he can be deployed in different systems and tactics. He is not a strong DM though, and like many others on here I'd love for us to complement our midfield with that type of a player. 

You seem to have forgotten that one of a box to box midfielders jobs is to arrive late into the box. 

McGinn simply isn't skilled enough to play as a creative 10. His short passing isn't good enough, and he simply doesn't look up enough when dribbling. He also lacks the predatory instincts to play as a shadow striker. Box to box 8 is McGinns best role, however I do feel he can play as a deep lying 6 as his second best role. This is because his medium and long range passing is good enough, he Shields the ball really well, and loves to get stuck in.

Box to box is where he excells though. As his energy and tenacity make him perfect for chasing the ball across the pitch (the primary job of a box to box player). This is a little wasted if you ask him to hold a higher or deeper position (which is what is being asked if he plays 6 or 10). He's a decent tackler, decent passer, and decent finisher. He doesn't really excell in one area in term of technical skills, but he can do a bit of everything. These traits I mentioned show that he is quintessentially, tailor made to be a box to box midfielder.

If we play Jack and Buendia in freeish roles off the wings and put not just Mac-G but Sanson as box to box with a proper holding 6 (to allow them the freedom to get beyond Jack and Buendia) those two should be good for 10 goals each.

Playing 6 as one of two 6's, particularly if the other 6 is Nakamba (or his type) gives McGinn a but of license to get push further forward and make use of his desire to follow the play. So if he is to be played as a 6 then this is the best way for that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

You seem to have forgotten that one of a box to box midfielders jobs is to arrive late into the box. 

Nah I haven't forgot that, I just think that for certain games and situations he'd be suitable for a more advanced role. Running inbetween and behind defenders, arrivng early in the box instead of late. I just don't think our "10" needs to be all that creative when surrounded by a triangle of Grealish, Buendia and Luiz. And especially when adding a Nakamba style DM to that mix I think McGinn's skillset can be suitable for a more advanced role. 

With that said, happy to see him as a more traditional box to box 8 with Sanson as well, or even as one of two 6s. We have the personel to tweak our mdifield into very different types of beasts and that's great. While McGinn clearly has some shortcomings I think he's able to play varous roles in different setups with success