Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I know what you are saying I am aggressive on here sometimes, which has gotten me into trouble.  The reason is that we are a mid table team with potential but we shouldnt overlook that most players in this team are replaceable.  I'd argue that aside from Jack and Martinez, that they all are.  Fans say why bring X player or type of player because they wont sit on the bench.  They automatically assume you dont think our player is any good and have an opinion that is out of whack. 

If you look at our players and then compare to the teams we want to compete with, some are floundering.  We have a great bunch of players, many with great potential but for me if we want to fight for top 4 places in the coming seasons then these guys have to either improve dramatically or be replace/pushed to back up.  Jack and Martinez are the only genuine top 4 talents at the moment.  We have players like Konsa and Watkins that are showing that they could very easily be top 4 talent.  We just keep going and improving those guys and adding real quality to get us to top 4 but we have to stop assuming that our players arent upgradeable because they are.  We have to do slowly and correctly, and keep the ones that are going to step up to the next level.  I believe we have a bunch that could step up to the next level but by the balance of stats some wont, we need to manage that correctly and I think our Management team will do that. 

I am delighted where we are, where we have come from and we have a great core of a team, which has some real potential.  We cannot stop, we have to keep improving and adding better players to keep progressing.  As we saw when Jack was out, we saw a lot of issues with this team so there is still work to do and some favourites will need to be replaced to continue moving forwards but it doesnt mean i dont think highly of those same players.

good post Nick....and a really good grown up debate between you and Philosopher......who's opinions I both value.

well put both of you.

PS I think you make your points with conviction, that is not aggressive or arrogant....I am similar, but its not arrogance......its commendable imo to make a strong point, however,always accepting another poster can make a stronger one.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I just think you’re both words removed

Thanks,

which one dodged your radar?.....Me, Philosopher or Nick?

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

good post Nick....and a really good grown up debate between you and Philosopher......who's opinions I both value.

well put both of you.

PS I think you make your points with conviction, that is not aggressive or arrogant....I am similar, but its not arrogance......its commendable imo to make a strong point, however,always accepting another poster can make a stronger one.

Its the difference between knowing your mind and having your mind made up.

I have a lot of time for the former (such as yourself, TRO) - and little for the latter.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

oh there are some very slick archive trawlers, whose sole life purpose is to catch someone out.....I have experienced such souls, with the satisfaction of a whale catcher.

This is the thing that tickles me.....why bother, all folk have a right to change their mind or see things differently.....time changes many things, and opinions are one.

The scampering across many pages of text, to secure a cop out, is a very laborious, time consuming and sad thing to do.

I am willing to declare right now, my opinions have a shelf life, probably the life span of a Gnat......so to save anyone any time ( you know who you are) spend it more productively on your own opinion.

I know your game!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Its the difference between knowing your mind and having your mind made up.

I have a lot of time for the former (such as yourself, TRO) - and little for the latter.

I agree.

As you know, I like to make my point.....but it encourages others to make theirs. I welcome other opinions.

Its the only way to learn.

However, I do get cross, when I am misquoted or miscontrued.

My weakness or strength depending on the view, is to always be seeking improvement, and I sometimes forget to mention my satisfaction for the progress so far....such is my focus on progress, I inadvertently forget to be grateful for where we are.

The club has made immeasurable progress in an unbelievable amount of areas of the club, not just the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

According to Transfermarkt  Julián Álvarez has started 37 games at RW and 26 games as center forward for River, and then the odd game at other positions.

Pretty much all his games for Argentina at various levels has been at RW including his 1 cap at senior level.

Think it's safe to say he can play in more than 1 position and like most modern players he's not static in one area when he plays.

Looking at his YT vids im not really keen or sold on him 🤔 ive seen terrible players with stunning YT vids... its hard to gauge it as i don't want to judge a player off YT footage alone.. however im not against signing the lad and anyone at that age thats currently in the Argentina national side must possess talent so id trust us to sign him as he has potential to grow.

His weaknesses seem to be playing the ball too far from his feet or reach, needs to learn close ball control, doesn’t have that sharp turn and quick pacey run that we would like in that area of the pitch, seems to take his time playing the ball (wont have that time in the Premier League) 

His strengths in a nutshell, has a ozil eye for passes, will run at defenders, finds space well.

i have a feeling we could maybe try and lure another player more effective and proven who us still under the radar and highly rated, not taking anything away from Julian Alvarez, i just feel theres another gem who would be more magical for us 

Edited by RicRic