Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

45 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He scored goal as late sub in debut against Swansea. That's hitting the ground running. Then another 5 games for 2nd goal vs Norwich then another 5 games for 3rd goal against Reading. 3 goals in 11 games is not hitting the ground running. Was 2nd half of season he really got going. Had basically same goal tally first season as Wesley did by time latter got injured. I'll leave it at that

4 games for second goal. 20 year old. Yeah he hit the ground running and has been our best ST for at least 15-20 years.

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The club valued him as a player worth £20m, and have been proven right. Therefore we didn't overpay, as he's an established England international that's worth a lot more now. 

The fact that us fans considered £20m excessive is neither here nor there, and your own statement saying he's worth every penny only backs that up. You've contradicted yourself and doubled-down with nonsense.  

You don’t seem get the concept of overpaying at the time.

The converse would be saying Martinez would be money well spent at £60m now. And of course that is right….we just happened to get a bargain at £20m a year ago.

Edited by rayk
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rayk said:

Ou don’t get the concept of overpaying at the time.

The converse would be saying Martinez would be money well spent at £60m now. And of course that is right….we just happened to get a bargain at £20m a year ago.

Martinez was a bargain at £20m because of how good he's turned out to be.

Mings was a bargain at £20m because of how good he's turned out to be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Can folk stop quoting a certain garden tool? I am blissfully unaware of his jibberings due to the ignore function until someone quotes them. Please stop!!! 

anyhow - in an attempt to get back on topic!

if we had the choice between Alvarez or Smith-Rowe who should we go for?

I’d be happy with either but personally, I’d take ESR as he’s already played in the prem, speaks the language and will piss the Arsenal fanatics off! 

However, Alvarez does look a decent prospect too. 

I think there is a £30m difference between the two. The point is is if we sign ESR then Jack is off.

id like Jack to stay so £15m for Alvarez who I think is edging out Beundia from the Argentinian squad is an absolute snip.

Edited by rayk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Martinez was a bargain at £20m because of how good he's turned out to be.

Mings was a bargain at £20m because of how good he's turned out to be.

Again, you don’t understand the difference. 

You’d have to be a footballing fool not to have realised Martinez was a bargain at the time. The same way that Heaton was such a stupid transfer at £8m.

Mings though was different. £25m two years ago for a reserve defender. I mean didn’t Godfrey cost less than that last year??

Edited by rayk

Can you imagine that two of the players who will be hoping to take Messi's spot for Argentina in the long run could be at Villa 🤣.

3 Argentine and 2 Brazilian internationals. It's a bloody exciting time to be a Villa fan.

...and we're instead discussing how quickly a player we sold over half a decade ago became good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Can folk stop quoting a certain garden tool? I am blissfully unaware of his jibberings due to the ignore function until someone quotes them. Please stop!!! 

anyhow - in an attempt to get back on topic!

if we had the choice between Alvarez or Smith-Rowe who should we go for?

I’d be happy with either but personally, I’d take ESR as he’s already played in the prem, speaks the language and will piss the Arsenal fanatics off! 

However, Alvarez does look a decent prospect too. 

Like asking whether you want chocolate cake or double chocolate cake. There isn’t really a wrong answer! 

From the little I’ve seen of both:

ESR adds more to the press so in a 4-3-3 he could play left in front of Jack, on the left of a 3 next to him or as a 10 between Jack and Emi.

Alvarez looks terrifying in attack and might contribute more overall than ESR in goals and assists, but less defensively. 

It’s the kind of selection choice coaches dream of though, so I vote to have both. 

• Like 2

Just now, rayk said:

Again, you don’t understand the difference. 

You’d have to be a footballing fool not to have realised Martinez was a bargain.

Mings though was different. £25m two years ago for a reserve defender. I mean didn’t Godfrey cost less than that last year??

Martinez was a reserve keeper, much to the folly of Arsenal.

Mings was a reserve defender, much to the folly of Bournemouth.

He certainly wasn't a reserve defender for us when it came to gaining promotion. Now idea what Godfrey has to do with anything as he's crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Martinez was a reserve keeper, much to the folly of Arsenal.

Mings was a reserve defender, much to the folly of Bournemouth.

He certainly wasn't a reserve defender for us when it came to gaining promotion. Now idea what Godfrey has to do with anything as he's crap.

That really makes no sense. Obviously if they were first team players we wouldn’t have been able to sign them.

Godfrey was a comparison. You’re choosing to say he’s crap because you don’t like the comparison.

9 minutes ago, rayk said:

I think there is a £30m difference between the two. The point is is if we sign ESR then Jack is off.

id like Jack to stay so £15m for Alvarez who I think is edging out Beundia from the Argentinian squad is an absolute snip.

I don't think it necessarily works that way.

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Can you imagine that two of the players who will be hoping to take Messi's spot for Argentina in the long run could be at Villa 🤣.

3 Argentine and 2 Brazilian internationals. It's a bloody exciting time to be a Villa fan.

...and we're instead discussing how quickly a player we sold over half a decade ago became good.

I am frankly amazed how Wes has come within a 20 mile radius of the Brazilian team.

As for the Benteke thing, posters are arguing the toss, not me.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

I don't think it necessarily works that way.

Why? I mean where does ESR play when we already have Jack, Beundia, Sansom, Traore, Chucky, AEG, Trez, JPB……yes that’s EIGHT players…fighting for three positions.

IF we sign ESR at £50m it’s bye bye Jack imo.