Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

55 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It is a bit nasty on here sometimes. Like people are deliberately trying to not understand what you are saying about how we probably overpaid for Mings at the time because of how much we wanted him but he’s actually turned out to be good value. 

I don’t know your history because I haven’t been on here that long and I’m really bad at remembering any posters previous posts or opinions, I barely even register the names but I reckon if other people posted what you did nobody would bat an eyelid. 

Can be a bit antsy if you come with an  unpopular view. Like my preference for not signing Ashley Young. I also feel that sometimes people don't read posts properly. I had to reiterate 3 times I expect Traore to improve just not to the level of Targett, and it was taken at Traore won't  improve.

At the moment I feel if we criticise any Villa players that have generally done well it doesn't go down well.

I am very pleased and Impressed by Targett's season. But I fundamentally see him as a limited player that becomes a liability if not played in such a way that negates his inherent weakness (lack of pace and athleticism). But as soon as I bring this up i get crap for it. To me though this is just an obvious fact.

I myself am like a dog with a bone sometimes when I find something particularly erroneous. I'm  beginning to learn that sometimes I just need to let it go. 

Still not convinced by the Young signing, but am optimistic, and hope those claims that he is still very fit and energetic are true as then the fullback positions are well covered.

And in regards to Targett if Young is still fit enough then he has a fight on his hands. Ultimately I see Targett as a back up left back if we ever become a top 6 outfit. 

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Can be a bit antsy if you come with an  unpopular view. Like my preference for not signing Ashley Young. I also feel that sometimes people don't read posts properly. I had to reiterate 3 times I expect Traore to improve just not to the level of Targett, and it was taken at Traore won't  improve.

At the moment I feel if we criticise any Villa players that have generally done well it doesn't go down well.

I am very pleased and Impressed by Targett's season. But I fundamentally see him as a limited player that becomes a liability if not played in such a way that negates his inherent weakness (lack of pace and athleticism). But as soon as I bring this up i get crap for it. To me though this is just an obvious fact.

I myself am like a dog with a bone sometimes when I find something particularly erroneous. I'm  beginning to learn that sometimes I just need to let it go. 

Still not convinced by the Young signing, but am optimistic, and hope those claims that he is still very fit and energetic are true as then the fullback positions are well covered.

And in regards to Targett if Young is still fit enough then he has a fight on his hands. Ultimately I see Targett as a back up left back if we ever become a top 6 outfit. 

I know what you are saying I am aggressive on here sometimes, which has gotten me into trouble.  The reason is that we are a mid table team with potential but we shouldnt overlook that most players in this team are replaceable.  I'd argue that aside from Jack and Martinez, that they all are.  Fans say why bring X player or type of player because they wont sit on the bench.  They automatically assume you dont think our player is any good and have an opinion that is out of whack. 

If you look at our players and then compare to the teams we want to compete with, some are floundering.  We have a great bunch of players, many with great potential but for me if we want to fight for top 4 places in the coming seasons then these guys have to either improve dramatically or be replace/pushed to back up.  Jack and Martinez are the only genuine top 4 talents at the moment.  We have players like Konsa and Watkins that are showing that they could very easily be top 4 talent.  We just keep going and improving those guys and adding real quality to get us to top 4 but we have to stop assuming that our players arent upgradeable because they are.  We have to do slowly and correctly, and keep the ones that are going to step up to the next level.  I believe we have a bunch that could step up to the next level but by the balance of stats some wont, we need to manage that correctly and I think our Management team will do that. 

I am delighted where we are, where we have come from and we have a great core of a team, which has some real potential.  We cannot stop, we have to keep improving and adding better players to keep progressing.  As we saw when Jack was out, we saw a lot of issues with this team so there is still work to do and some favourites will need to be replaced to continue moving forwards but it doesnt mean i dont think highly of those same players.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

It is a bit nasty on here sometimes. Like people are deliberately trying to not understand what you are saying about how we probably overpaid for Mings at the time because of how much we wanted him but he’s actually turned out to be good value. 

I don’t know your history because I haven’t been on here that long and I’m really bad at remembering any posters previous posts or opinions, I barely even register the names but I reckon if other people posted what you did nobody would bat an eyelid. 

oh there are some very slick archive trawlers, whose sole life purpose is to catch someone out.....I have experienced such souls, with the satisfaction of a whale catcher.

This is the thing that tickles me.....why bother, all folk have a right to change their mind or see things differently.....time changes many things, and opinions are one.

The scampering across many pages of text, to secure a cop out, is a very laborious, time consuming and sad thing to do.

I am willing to declare right now, my opinions have a shelf life, probably the life span of a Gnat......so to save anyone any time ( you know who you are) spend it more productively on your own opinion.

• Like 3

Maybe we can raid Marseille again for Boubacar Kamara. Can play DM and CB so would be a great option for either position. Only 21 as well so value could soar if he performs to his potential.

Although he isn’t 6’4 so might piss off a few people who want a giant in midfield.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Ha, I love Targett but made one comment that I thought he should have contributed more in terms of goals and assists. Someone responded to me so fervently and in such detail about his every move this season that had ultimately ended up in a goal that I remain convinced it was Matt himself 😁

1 hour ago, useless said:

Will probably mean Sinisalo going back out on loan, presuming we manage to keep him.

Gazzaniga ticks a lot of boxes for this one. Experienced back-up keeper (as in that has been his role for many seasons), available on a free and seemingly most importantly this window is Argentinian.

4 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

About to use the ignore function for the first time on this website--wish me luck!

I had to use it yesterday.

Honestly the ignore function has increased my experience on here so much. I can understand idiotic opinions. But some of them just make no sense. And I can't deal with them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rayk said:

Why? I mean where does ESR play when we already have Jack, Beundia, Sansom, Traore, Chucky, AEG, Trez, JPB……yes that’s EIGHT players…fighting for three positions.

IF we sign ESR at £50m it’s bye bye Jack imo.

Trez is injured for half the season. We shouldn't include him. We saw how long it took for Wesley to reviver and whilst Wesley's was more serious Trez did his in April do average return in late January. 

JPB and Chukwuemeka shouldn't count either they are youth players and won't be getting regular first team minutes. And I would hope they go on loan with that.

Sanson will primarily play in the pivot or as an 8 if we go for a more flat 4-3-3. He will very rarely play as a 10 most likely only when neither Jack nor Buendia can play.

In reality we Have 4 players who we can play in those 3 positions without substantially weakening the team. We desperately need at least 1 more winger/CAM and maybe even 2.

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I had to use it yesterday.

Honestly the ignore function has increased my experience on here so much. I can understand idiotic opinions. But some of them just make no sense. And I can't deal with them. 

I would be embarrassed to say how many are in my "Naughty Corner".....but over a fair period of time.

I can stand disagreement all day long.....but when it comes from the same posters a feeling arises........firstly its coincidence......then its happenstance.....then its enemy action ( naughty corner).

Personally, I try to present my point with conviction, but some see that as arrogance......If a stronger opinion is countered, that appeals to me, I will yield, out of respect for the stronger point....I am not interested in point scoring or who is the poster....just healthy debate.

but we all have to factor in, we all have differing personalities, that will inevitably play a part in the opinions...those opinions might be idiotic to the recipient, but not the poster....its the way a poster disagrees is key to it being accepted....some folk are personal, its not the best way to get the best out of folk.....not saying you are by the way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Trez is injured for half the season. We shouldn't include him. We saw how long it took for Wesley to reviver and whilst Wesley's was more serious Trez did his in April do average return in late January. 

JPB and Chukwuemeka shouldn't count either they are youth players and won't be getting regular first team minutes. And I would hope they go on loan with that.

Sanson will primarily play in the pivot or as an 8 if we go for a more flat 4-3-3. He will very rarely play as a 10 most likely only when neither Jack nor Buendia can play.

In reality we Have 4 players who we can play in those 3 positions without substantially weakening the team. We desperately need at least 1 more winger/CAM and maybe even 2.

Exactly, we're moving more to a 4-3-3 next season away from 4-2-3-1. But need players who can operate in both systems.

So that means Jack/AEG on left, Buendia/Traore on right. Watkins/Wesley up top.

We then need central pivot players, Luiz/Nakamba and then we've the two 8's. McGinn and Sanson are the only two we've got with experience. We've JJ & Cukwuemeka who are young. We need at least 1 other player in this position. Smith Rowe or Ward Prowse seem to be the two we're after. Links to Pape Sarr are surely as an upgrade to Nakamba. 

So there is a clear plan this summer, more creativity in Buendia sorted. Now we need that additional central midfielder. 

29 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Maybe we can raid Marseille again for Boubacar Kamara. Can play DM and CB so would be a great option for either position. Only 21 as well so value could soar if he performs to his potential.

Although he isn’t 6’4 so might piss off a few people who want a giant in midfield.

Contrary to popular opinion......as long as he is not passive, but ascertive, can win the ball, pass with aplomb and above all can read the game and move with pace......I'm happy.....get it done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Billy Gilmour apparently going on loan to Norwich. That’s a good move for both parties.

it is....well done them.

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know what you are saying I am aggressive on here sometimes, which has gotten me into trouble.  The reason is that we are a mid table team with potential but we shouldnt overlook that most players in this team are replaceable.  I'd argue that aside from Jack and Martinez, that they all are.  Fans say why bring X player or type of player because they wont sit on the bench.  They automatically assume you dont think our player is any good and have an opinion that is out of whack. 

If you look at our players and then compare to the teams we wont to compete with some are floundering.  We have a great bunch of players, many with great potential but for me if we want to fight for top 4 places in the coming seasons then these guys have to either improve dramatically or be replace/pushed to back up.  Jack and Martinez are the only genuine top 4 talents at the moment.  We have players like Konsa and Watkins that are showing that they could very easily be top 4 talent.  We just keep going and improving those guys and adding real quality to get us to top 4 but we have to stop assuming that our players arent upgradeable because they are.  We have to do slowly and correctly, and keep the ones that are going to step up to the next level.  I believe we have a bunch that could step up to the next level but by the balance of stats some wont, we need to manage that correctly and I think our Management team will do that. 

I am delighted where we are, where we have come from and we have a great core of a team, which has some real potential.  We cannot stop, we have to keep improving and adding better players to keep progressing.  As we saw when Jack was out, we saw a lot of issues with this team so there is still work to do and some favourites will need to be replaced to continue moving forwards but it doesnt mean i dont think highly of those same players.

Good post - appreciate your perspective.

As someone who can also get a little bit aggressive on here at times I thought I would round out the alternative view as best I can, since we’re all sharing.

I often feel on here that people don’t give players a chance. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a brutal league and only fractions of percentages separate teams poles apart on the table at times.

Often though, some players are not given the chance to show that they can go to the next level despite being new to the team, showing glimpses, or even showing rather good form. I feel as though there can be a tendency to want to upgrade without proper consideration for how the player has performed and how they could improve as they spend more time around the club.

Financial investments in players are also overlooked. If you spend £20M one year and £40M the next on two players who play the same position, that’s a poor investment. Especially if the £20M player can improve and grow in value with a little time and some coaching.

Lastly, there is so much more to building a squad than replacing existing players with more expensive ‘better’ players. Each of Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and even ManU until recently have spent god knows how much on players for very little return. We are following the model similar to clubs like Leicester and Atalanta who had a nucleus of players that they added to over time who were all give time to develop. 

I am not saying we don’t need to bring players in to improve, and I think our recruitment this year and last has been excellent. I just feel like which parts of the team are the weakest links and therefore who and how many players we need to spend big on is under-considered and under-researched at times.

• Like 3