Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

33 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Very good.

Used to be the other way round. Transfer windows used to be interminable. 
Great to see change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

With FFP effectively scuppered this year because of Covid, and our owners with deep pockets and longer arms… I wouldn’t rule anything out!

Sure, if our owners want to spend £20m over the realistic asking price then any player is ours.

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

One who hits the ground running and outperforms expectations.

People wrote off Benteke halfway through first season we signed him. Didn't start straight away, missed first few games, then only something like 6 goals come New Year's Day. I remember people saying he was a crap signing then he went and scored 13 more goals 2nd half of season

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People wrote off Benteke halfway through first season we signed him. Didn't start straight away, missed first few games, then only something like 6 goals come New Year's Day. I remember people saying he was a crap signing then he went and scored 13 more goals 2nd half of season

He edged out Bent pretty much from the start and was just 20 years old and over the course of the season massively outperformed expectations.

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Ah okay...

Martinez, Watkins, Mings, Cash, McGinn. 

I could go on, but I think that's a pretty good starting point. 

Completely disagree bar SJM. It was as clear as day Martinez was a quality player, we just got him for a snip. Watkins, Mings and Cash have simply delivered on their transfer fee expectations. Not over delivered and that’s the key point.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

I copied and pasted before the paywall set in.

Villa will make an improved offer for the England under 21 international after identifying the attacking midfielder as a key addition to Dean Smith's squad this summer.

Arsenal rejected a bid worth around £25 million from Villa earlier this month and insist the 20-year old is not for sale.

Smith Rowe is in talks over a new contract with Arsenal and the club remain hopeful of striking an agreement, but Villa believe a potential deal is worth exploring.

Villa have already smashed their transfer record this summer with the £33 million capture of Emi Buendia from Norwich, while former England international Ashley Young joined on a free transfer last week.

Smith Rowe is another top target and it is understood Villa envisage him playing in a front-three alongside Buendia and Ollie Watkins, with captain Jack Grealish operating as a No. 10 behind them.

Too many times last season Smith was frustrated with attacking moves breaking down on the wings or in areas in front of Watkins, so those positions are seen as crucial this summer.

signing season 3 GIF

4 hours ago, rayk said:

The problem with ESR is we did a job on Arsenal last year with Martinez so with any future transfer they will (a) be more reluctant and (b) demand their pound of flesh in return via an inflated transfer fee.

So unless we’re spending Jack’s transfer fee I can’t really see it happening.

Or use it against them, make them pay an eye watering amount to keep ESR because they can’t be seen to lose out to us twice, then sucker punch them with a £40m+ offer for Saka.

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

"hits the ground running and outperforms expectations".

You expected Martinez to tie our clean sheet record? You expected Watkins to get 14 goals and five assists? You expected Cash to go from right back in the Championship to a consistently good right back in the Premier League? Mings - if you expected him to have the impact he did in the Championship and to then go on to play for England, can you let me know this week's lottery numbers please?

Yes. It seems apparent you didn’t.

In the same way I though Heaton was a tosh signing, Wes and Trez too.

Edited by rayk

Just now, Villaphil said:

Or use it against them, make them pay an eye watering amount to keep ESR because they can’t be seen to lose out to us twice, then sucker punch them with a £40m+ offer for Saka.

Nice thinking 👍

8 minutes ago, rayk said:

He edged out Bent pretty much from the start and was just 20 years old and over the course of the season massively outperformed expectations.

He didn't "hit the ground running". We'd played 14 games as a team for 3 wins and he'd scored 3 goals 2 assists and people were thinking he's a dud then he exploded in the Liverpool 3-1 away win and then people thought aha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He didn't "hit the ground running". We'd played 14 games as a team for 3 wins and he'd scored 3 goals 2 assists and people were thinking he's a dud then he exploded in the Liverpool 3-1 away win and then people thought aha

As I say, he edged out Bent.

He scored against Swansea and Norwich early season as a £7m 20 year old. Don’t tell me he didn’t hit the ground running and outperformed expectations as that is rewriting history.

If Arsenal goes through with signing Ben White I'd be seriously tempted for Villa to get William Saliba from them. At 20 still a bit raw but I liked him at Saint Etienne and from what I saw he looked nice at Nice.

Appears to be a bit of a divide between him and Arsenal so me be a deal to be made. Obviously we should also get Smith-Rowe and Saka :D 

• Like 1

Just over a month ago L'Equipe in France posted an article that said we were interested in Bordeaux's Medhi Zerkane, having followed him for 3 months and having made contact with his agents.

Well yesterday Zerkane was reported to say on Algerian TV “I don't know anything about Aston Villa's interest in me. What is certain is that I am in Bordeaux, and I have no desire to leave, especially since I play regularly."

So I think that link can be scrapped for now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

As I say, he edged out Bent.

He scored against Swansea and Norwich early season as a £7m 20 year old. Don’t tell me he didn’t hit the ground running and outperformed expectations as that is rewriting history.

No that's not rewriting history, he did not hit the ground running. Many fans were not sure about for the first six months and others saw some potential. You are on your own here.

• Thanks 2