Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I definitely didn't, interesting how people expect different things I guess. 

Mate, Watkins was our record signing at £28m. Cash cost us £16m. That’s not small beer. Mings we had on loan and kind of overpaid at the time but worth every penny and a snip compared to Maguire.

All they have done is justified their highish fees the time.

Just now, bose said:

No that's not rewriting history, he did not hit the ground running. Many fans were not sure about for the first six months and others saw some potential. You are on your own here.

Not true, anyone with any footballing nouse could see he was a player. The debate at the time was why Lambert preferred him over Bent.

Just now, rayk said:

Not true, anyone with any footballing nouse could see he was a player. The debate at the time was why Lambert preferred him over Bent.

Well that's not what you said. You said he hit the ground running, which is not correct. Many saw the potential.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bose said:

Well that's not what you said. You said he hit the ground running, which is not correct. Many saw the potential.

He did hit the ground running lol. Early goals against Swansea and Norwich evidenced that, as well as keeping out Bent.

I’ve followed Villa for 30 years and some of the stuff on here you couldn’t make up.

Edited by rayk

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

About to use the ignore function for the first time on this website--wish me luck!

It is a very underrated and underused tool.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

"hits the ground running and outperforms expectations".

You expected Watkins to get 14 goals and five assists?

Generally agree with you, but yeah, I sort of did. Any striker getting a full season behind Grealish AND yakes pens, should get that return.

What I didn’t expect was how good of an allround striker he is. His jumping ability, strength, movement, pace and so on. Very complete player.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Generally agree with you, but yeah, I sort of did. Any striker getting a full season behind Grealish AND yakes pens, should get that return.

What I didn’t expect was how good of an allround striker he is. His jumping ability, strength, movement, pace and so on. Very complete player.

I think his work rate was well known but I agree that aspect of his game has impressed me. 

13 minutes ago, rayk said:

He did hit the ground running lol. Early goals against Swansea and Norwich evidenced that, as well as keeping out Bent.

I’ve followed Villa for 30 years and some of the stuff on here you couldn’t make up.

He scored goal as late sub in debut against Swansea. That's hitting the ground running. Then another 5 games for 2nd goal vs Norwich then another 5 games for 3rd goal against Reading. 3 goals in 11 games is not hitting the ground running. Was 2nd half of season he really got going. Had basically same goal tally first season as Wesley did by time latter got injured. I'll leave it at that

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, rayk said:

Mate, Watkins was our record signing at £28m. Cash cost us £16m. That’s not small beer. Mings we had on loan and kind of overpaid at the time but worth every penny and a snip compared to Maguire.

All they have done is justified their highish fees the time.

How do you overpay for something that's worth every penny? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

How do you overpay for something that's worth every penny? 

Feck me, we overpaid at the time. He wasn’t even starting for Bournemouth, out of favour with Eddie Howe.

From memory we messed up the loan because we didn’t include an option to buy but then we got promoted and Bournemouth basically asked us to bend over at £25m.

All that doesn’t mean he’s not good value for money now.

How do you not understand the difference??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rayk said:

Feck me, we overpaid at the time. He wasn’t even starting for Bournemouth, out of favour with Eddie Howe.

From memory we messed up the loan because we didn’t include an option to buy but then we got promoted and Bournemouth basically asked us to bend over at £25m.

All that doesn’t mean he’s not good value for money now.

How do you not understand the difference??

The club valued him as a player worth £20m, and have been proven right. Therefore we didn't overpay, as he's an established England international that's worth a lot more now. 

The fact that us fans considered £20m excessive is neither here nor there, and your own statement saying he's worth every penny only backs that up. You've contradicted yourself and doubled-down with nonsense.  

• Like 4