Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

30 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

How much did you look at him last season? I ran the rule over him for fantasy reasons as cheap in FPL and didn't bother because didn't see regular returns. 2 goals 4 assists in 1400 odd mins. Traore 7 goals and 6 assists in around 2300 mins and people want to ditch him. Ridiculous really

You can argue one has more all round game but relevant stats in other areas for attacking mids are similar for both

P.S. this doesn't mean I'm against signing ESR more in defence of Traore

Until relatively recently, fans of other clubs used to say the same about Grealish 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And he was crap in a lot of our games too. 

13 goal involvements in around 2300 mins. Probably doesn't include assists for winning penalties if he did. If he gets double figure goals and assists in more minutes next season will he still be crap?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So was Targett before last season. If we see the same improvement in Traore as we have seen in Targett we will have one hell of a player on our hands. 

The main reason for Targett's improvement was down to the change in his role to play more defense and make less runs into the opposition defense third. Also Targett is younger than Traore.

I do think Traore can improve but to improve in the manner Targett did simply won't happen. For me Traore is a poor decision maker.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The main reason for Targett's improvement was down to the change in his role to play more defense and make less runs into the opposition defense third. Also Targett is younger than Traore.

I do think Traore can improve but to improve in the manner Targett did simply won't happen. For me Traore is a poor decision maker.

Age is just a number--you should know that better than anyone, Philosopher.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

By 12 days

Last year Targett improved as a 24 year old. This year Traore is a year and 12 days older than when Targett improved. 

For me both players have their flaws. Targett's lack of athleticism and Traore's poor decision making.

Like I said Traore can certainly improve but it won't be as drastic as Targett. That kind of thing doesn't happen often. But if Traore does improve drastically, it will certainly be down to something similar to to Targett. A change in his role to negate his weaknesses and play more to his strengths. However I can't see it.

14 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

A whopping 12 days younger actually, will surely make a bid difference... 

Kind of agree with the general point though,  don't think we can expect players to go through a similar improvement trajectory as Targett who's been one of the most improved player from one season to another that I've seen. Lots of things affect that, not only coaching staff

12 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Age is just a number--you should know that better than anyone, Philosopher.

I wish that were true. But once you hit your mid 30's you know that age is more than just a number. Then 40 comes and you wish you were 30 again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Few rumblings on Twitter from River Plate fans that Alvarez is very close to being done. 
Example below!

I'd love it to happen, I know nothing about the player but one of my all time favorites came from Riverplate!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the Brexit changes to football work permitting makes it easier or harder for us to sign younger players from North and South America?  The reason why Spanish, Portugese, and Italian clubs sign all the best South American youth team players is because getting them work permits is much easier than it is in the UK.  Germany has been snapping up all the American talent it can because they pretty much can hand out work visas to youth team players without restriction.  Wondering if the recent changes in UK football for applying for visas will place more value on British players going forward or less...

10 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Does anyone know if the Brexit changes to football work permitting makes it easier or harder for us to sign younger players from North and South America?  The reason why Spanish, Portugese, and Italian clubs sign all the best South American youth team players is because getting them work permits is much easier than it is in the UK.  Germany has been snapping up all the American talent it can because they pretty much can hand out work visas to youth team players without restriction.  Wondering if the recent changes in UK football for applying for visas will place more value on British players going forward or less...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Few rumblings on Twitter from River Plate fans that Alvarez is very close to being done. 
Example below!

Google Translation. 

We are in a position to say it after having checked it with many sources.

From England they tell us that Aston Villa has just bought Julian Álvarez for 20 million dollars.

River together with the player, gave the yes

Goodbye 🕷

Come back, don't forget
  • Like 1

I hadn't even heard of Julian Alvarez until a couple of days ago, and under previous owndership I'd have been worried about signing a 20 year old from South America, but with our scouting and management team I fully trust that any player they target will be completely worth it. I'm already buzzing at the prospect of signing him.

Buendia, Young, Alvarez: players at different stages of their careers, with different immediate purposes for Villa. Underlines our development over the last few years: that we can afford to buy (or in the case of Revan et al: develop) players for the future, instead of having to rely on them now. Savvy recruitment so far.

• Like 2