Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

Really. So a player totally unproven in the Prem  (remember just one goal, a few assists) is worth 1/3 of what we would expect from Jack?

Emile Smith Rowe is by miles the better prospect - proven in the Prem, younger etc- and would cost us not much too far north of Beundia should Arsenal wish to sell.

Make no mistake about it, we overpaid for Beundia. Base of £33m this season vs £27m for Benrahma last season…..and I’d still rather have Benrahma tbo.

Don't. 

Just. Don't. 

It's not even a contest. 

He's arguably the best player to ever play in the championship in terms of attacking stats. And he's done it in the PL as well. 

Benrahma hahahaha. 

Edit: And how in the hell is ESR "proven" by that logic with just two goals and 22 appearances?

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My only issue with some of these " signings " is that they all seem to be tiny, and almost guaranteed their skill graphic has " Weakness: Aerial duels " lol.

Our new tactics must revolve around centre of gravity.

Although, if you've got enough skill, size is less of a factor.

The problem is JV ....The dynamics of football is such, that space is a premium......and ,It doesn't matter how skilful a player is, its hard to break through lines.

Many goals are still scored by aerial balls and at set pieces, they are prolific.....We all know goals change games, so however they are sought/converted is ok by me.

We see teams like Burnley, get outplayed, but their ability to bully around the box and dig a goal out, is customary, West Ham are similar.....Its frustrating, but being on top and playing delightful football can be washed away in an instant with a headed goal.

Over the years....Hately,Withe, Evans, Gray, Dublin, Laursen, Thompson,Lochead,.....all gave us an advantage in the air and many openings and goals came from the aerial ball.

The Technique you suggest of low centre of gravity, is in vogue and I guess Pep has been instrumental in that......but I still say opportunities in the air are still very much alive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Don't. 

Just. Don't. 

It's not even a contest. 

He's arguably the best player to ever play in the championship in terms of attacking stats. And he's done it in the PL as well. 

Benrahma hahahaha. 

Edit: And how in the hell is ESR "proven" by that logic with just two goals and 22 appearances?

As I just said, why did we opt for Traore or Barkley last summer over Beundia?

He should not have cost anymore than Benrahma imo.

Just now, rayk said:

If he was that good why didn’t we buy him rather than Traore or Barkley on loan? Just saying….

Maybe because Norwich said he wasn't for sale last season. Your original post said he was unproven in the Premier League. Clearly, based on the evidence, that is an incorrect statement.

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Me again...

Pretty sure we tried to but he agreed to give Norwich one more season.. Could be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

If he was that good why didn’t we buy him rather than Traore or Barkley on loan? Just saying….

He was only a couple loyalty stamps away from a free milkshake at Captain America's Hamburger Heaven so stayed in Norwich an extra season to redeem it.

Having had aforementioned milkshakes myself, I don't begrudge him the decision.

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

He wasn't available last summer as he promised them a final season to get them up. 

It was widely reported in Norwich's forums. 

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Maybe because Norwich said he wasn't for sale last season. Your original post said he was unproven in the Premier League. Clearly, based on the evidence, that is an incorrect statement.

Everybody at any time is for sale at Norwich so try again on that front.

I’d love to know the criteria for those chances created though given that Pukki is known for his finishing.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

He wasn't available last summer as he promised them a final season to get them up. 

It was widely reported in Norwich's forums. 

As I just said, right bid and Norwich sell.

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

I understand that Buendia agreed to a further 12 months, hence his ability to join us now.

Players, who have never played for us are nothing more than opinions......Personally, I have a good feeling about this one.

You could formulate any amount of permutations of argument, like Why did Arsenal not go for Benrahma, but went for Buendia?

We need to see him play, to be sure, but his stats and video's are very impressive.....not to mention the general consensus of opinion outside B6.

There are many factors that contribute to a setting of a transfer fee and an example......John McGinn's fee and many other midfielders of his calibre, wouldn't make much sense.

The price of anything, is determined by what someone is willing to pay.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

And if he wasn't for sale then it would have taken more than we just got him for to prize him away....

But he’s always been for sale lol.

Buendia is a good player, but he's definitely being overrated by some, I've even seen comments like suggesting our other players can learn from him in training as if he's some sort of galactico that's won everything there is to win the game, and that we couldn't have signed better short of signing a world class player.

It's getting to the point where it feels unfair on him, because if he doesn't live up the expectations there will be an unfair backlash.

For the money he cost all needs to do is better than what we've already got and improve us as a team to be a good signing.

Also maybe we signed him this summer because we think he's improved, we signed both Watkins and Cash based on their form in the championship.

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My only issue with some of these " signings " is that they all seem to be tiny, and almost guaranteed their skill graphic has " Weakness: Aerial duels " lol.

Our new tactics must revolve around centre of gravity.

Although, if you've got enough skill, size is less of a factor.

We’re going the classic Barca way!

Yeah, small, attacking, players tend to be the most skilful and technically gifted.

Was a big fan of Zola & Romario back in the day and Maradona wasn’t half bad 🤣

I tell you what, we’re making up for missing out on Juninho now aren’t we? 😂

But you also need some height and strength at the back and in midfield.

Barca still had players like Pique, Puyol, Traore & Busquets to deal with the more physical side of the game. Messi and co (Pedro, Eto’o, Villa) created havoc further forward. 

We could do with an imposing midfielder, defence is fine.

Edited by Jas10