Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

We’ve varied how the midfield set up a fair bit this year, flat 3, 1 défensive with 2 AM, 2 defensive with an AM/No 10.  Unfortunately, it’s been pretty much the same names regardless of how they play.  I’m not saying square pegs in round holes, but it’s definitely not horses for courses.

Feels to me like as individuals out MF options are decent but in so many games they are ineffective as a unit, so easy to play through and put too much strain on the back 4, needs a shake up for sure.

14 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

We’ve varied how the midfield set up a fair bit this year, flat 3, 1 défensive with 2 AM, 2 defensive with an AM/No 10.  Unfortunately, it’s been pretty much the same names regardless of how they play.  I’m not saying square pegs in round holes, but it’s definitely not horses for courses.

I take your point on the midfield....I think when your players are samey in their style it is hard to get ALL the attributes required for that department to function with aplomb......its the diversity that creates the whole or complete.

I would struggle to name a midfield in our team with any confidence, with what we have available.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

agreed with most of this. I like Nakamba but it's telling that he rarely gets a game for us. I really like Luiz as well and want to give him more game time, yet also think there is room for an out and our DM better than Nakamba. I guess my big concern would be where does this new DM signing play. 

Like you say, Luiz would then compete with McGinn (whom Smith loves like you said) and Sanson (like you say again wasn't signed to be a backup). I just don't see where another midfield signing would go in because Deano isn't going to be dropping his 2 wingers playstyle (or at least hasn't shown any inclination to do so. This leaves me at the point where are we expecting to sell Luiz to get this new old fashioned DM  

Again, it all depends on our ambition. If we want to continue progressing and genuinely challenging for top 6 or above, we have to keep strengthening the team. And doing so will bring out the best in our better players, when it comes to the others they will have to accept having to fight for their place, being in reserve or will have to be moved on. You can’t be too sentimental, it will hold the team back. We shouldn’t be shy in selling players who aren’t capable of moving forwards with us.

I don’t think Luiz is/would be competing with McGinn or Sanson and he won’t be sold, he’s a young and valuable asset. He will stay as a DM and we need a better option than Nakamba imo. But if he is amazing next season then I suppose Nakamba could still be an adequate backup.

Again, we need that extra strength and physicality in midfield somewhere (some aerial prowess would be welcome too but quality on the ball is a must, passing ability & range).

I think we can improve upon McGinn for instance but he could also himself improve with added competition and being rested/rotated at times. We probably play him too much. His game/form is heavily dependent on his energy and stamina. I think his best role for us is as a disruptor, to harry and hassle the opposition and to break up attacks and play the ball forward. I don’t think he possesses enough quality to be a predominantly attacking midfielder for a top 6 team, he doesn’t have the technical prowess.

Luiz doesn’t have to be a starter all the time, we could get a better option at DM and he could become the back up or rotate in that position. He’s still young and still developing, could eventually become genuinely world class...

Sanson is our latest signing so he will be given the opportunity to demonstrate his ability and try to become a mainstay of the team (he probably has more quality than McGinn and could overtake him as our first choice CM).

I think it’s imperative that we get a top class AM in, we saw how it can transform us at the start of the season (when Barkley was playing well). Whether Jack plays there (would need a new LW) or stays out wide. That’s a higher priority than a DM.

We’ve got to keep improving and offload the players that don’t improve or effectively contribute going forwards.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Really? Would you want Clarke Harris, this years league1 top scorer? 

(Ironically he also plays for Peterborough)

I think he was a viable option yes.

Wouldn't want Clarke-Harris no because I don't think he's as good a player. And they've just won promotion, so he won't cost £6m, he'll cost £10+m.

We're in a different position now. Fresh budget to play with. This was purely a needs must thing last year.

Up front we had a broken Wes, a Keinan and an unproven record signing. We'd spent heavily on key areas and likely couldn't afford another big outlay. For the money he'd have cost, and the position we were in, I think Toney would have been great business.

If we'd had him to throw on we'd have bundled a couple more points this season IMO. Thinking Burnley at home, West Ham away type games.

Swings and roundabouts. It worked out OK because Watkins has led us to a good season and now we don't need to gamble on a £6m player in a position we need.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Like I said having them both gives options because you want them both on the pitch and you have highlighted more.

You could always have it so one is always played first half and the other is brought on at half time between Tammy and Ollie. This while notion that neither would be happy to be a sub is rubbish I think, so long as they both play and they agree to there contracts and they are paid then the Muller keeps them happy at Villa. 

We would have the problem of who do we keep and who do we sell out of Wesley and Davis?? It's a tricky one as one can't really score and the other has been out for time that we don't know how he will be now. Wesley would fetch the most money hands down while Davis would appeal to more championship clubs, either way if Tammy gets brought in you have to sell one of them. Maybe we should sell a few players to make some cash which in turn eases a bit of FFP because it's money coming in, all while we refresh the ranks with new signings. 

I think that most attacking players have to expect rotation/competition if they want to play in a club that will be successful.  Any club with only one decent option at "9" is unlikely to challenge at the top end of the table, when you don't have Salah and Mane or all of the options that Citeh have etc..

I think you would probably have to keep Wes, as he would need to show he is back to full fitness before anyone would pay decent monies for him, and I would look to loan Davis out for 12 months to a good Championship side and see if he can kick on. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 06:03, VillaChris said:

O.k that Periera guy looks pretty decent....

And while I'm at it seems Saka's name gets mentioned on here from time to time as some sort of realistic signing (I don't see it) but I think Smith Rowe is a terrific player, very graceful on the ball and chips in with goals so surely if we're looking for some sort of Grealish alternative in long run he looks a good bet to me especially as Arsenal don't have a clue with signings so they'll probably make him available if the next manager signs more attackers.

Anyone who thinks Saka is a realistic target needs there head checking surely?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

All the top teams have a DM.....how can they be old fashioned?

Thats a myth.

but those DM's have to do what it says on the tin.

our squad is too small, Luiz will be in the squad and continue to work on his game, so placing spots are immaterial.....they have to fight for them.

If we want to move on, our thinking has to move on....The jobs on the pitch, have to be filled by those that can master them.

may I say, there is no old fashioned anything, its a lazy line......Man City don't play with a recognised No9 ,are they old fashioned now?....do we all play with a false 9?...you play a style that is commensurate with the strength and attributes of your personnel.

its choices and styles, "old fashioned" is an inappropriate description.

we could say that Luiz is our current DM, but it's definitely a position we could look to strengthen. When I say old fashioned I mean big, strong, physical presence in midfield. 

I know it’s kind of dreamland but I was just thinking...

Lazio have been interested in Wesley for a long while... back when we signed him, and that interest has remained.... they were still reported or rumoured to be interested while he was injured.

Could we possibly do a part ex deal for Milinkovic-Savic? Maybe £40-50m + Wesley?

Could pick up an exciting young striker or a quality WF who can cover at CF too to fill that gap in the squad.

The main difficulty would be in attracting him here, over other clubs, but I just wonder if we could sell a player like that our vision/project/ambitions etc. 

We’d also probably need to bring in one or two signings of similar calibre to convince them to join.

Highly unlikely but maybe not impossible, it’s the kind of move that can bring a club to the “next level” a la Man City during the Mancini era.

It’s sensible to be a bit prudent but it’s also worth splashing out on someone who could be the ideal or perfect signing for us...

Realistically, I expect us to continue with our existing approach but it’s fun to speculate and dream big 🤣

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I know it’s kind of dreamland but I was just thinking...

Lazio have been interested in Wesley for a long while... back when we signed him, and that interest has remained.... they were still reported or rumoured to be interested while he was injured.

Could we possibly do a part ex deal for Milinkovic-Savic? Maybe £40-50m + Wesley?

Could pick up an exciting young striker or a quality WF who can cover at CF too to fill that gap in the squad.

The main difficulty would be in attracting him here, over other clubs, but I just wonder if we could sell a player like that our vision/project/ambitions etc. 

We’d also probably need to bring in one or two signings of similar calibre to convince them to join.

Highly unlikely but maybe not impossible, it’s the kind of move that can bring a club to the “next level” a la Man City during the Mancini era.

It’s sensible to be a bit prudent but it’s also worth splashing out on someone who could be the ideal or perfect signing for us...

Realistically, I expect us to continue with our existing approach but it’s fun to speculate and dream big 🤣

Lazio have Immobile, Caicedo, Correa and splashed out 20 million on Muriqi who is a similar physique to Wesley so doubt they would 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Again, it all depends on our ambition. If we want to continue progressing and genuinely challenging for top 6 or above, we have to keep strengthening the team. And doing so will bring out the best in our better players, when it comes to the others they will have to accept having to fight for their place, being in reserve or will have to be moved on. You can’t be too sentimental, it will hold the team back. We shouldn’t be shy in selling players who aren’t capable of moving forwards with us.

I don’t think Luiz is/would be competing with McGinn or Sanson and he won’t be sold, he’s a young and valuable asset. He will stay as a DM and we need a better option than Nakamba imo. But if he is amazing next season then I suppose Nakamba could still be an adequate backup.

Again, we need that extra strength and physicality in midfield somewhere (some aerial prowess would be welcome too but quality on the ball is a must, passing ability & range).

I think we can improve upon McGinn for instance but he could also himself improve with added competition and being rested/rotated at times. We probably play him too much. His game/form is heavily dependent on his energy and stamina. I think his best role for us is as a disruptor, to harry and hassle the opposition and to break up attacks and play the ball forward. I don’t think he possesses enough quality to be a predominantly attacking midfielder for a top 6 team, he doesn’t have the technical prowess.

Luiz doesn’t have to be a starter all the time, we could get a better option at DM and he could become the back up or rotate in that position. He’s still young and still developing, could eventually become genuinely world class...

Sanson is our latest signing so he will be given the opportunity to demonstrate his ability and try to become a mainstay of the team (he probably has more quality than McGinn and could overtake him as our first choice CM).

I think it’s imperative that we get a top class AM in, we saw how it can transform us at the start of the season (when Barkley was playing well). Whether Jack plays there (would need a new LW) or stays out wide. That’s a higher priority than a DM.

We’ve got to keep improving and offload the players that don’t improve or effectively contribute going forwards.

Absolutely agree with that. We've looked extremely potent when Barkley was performing very well in that position

• Thanks 1

@Jas10 Smith mentioned yesterday that we won’t see the best from Wes until next season, so he’s going nowhere (although if we could sell him for a decent fee this summer, I would). 

• Like 1

Im sure dean smith said yesterday that he was "excited" about the clubs signing targets this upcoming window and that the fans should be to.

Im not to sure to be honest that we have the pulling power to attract the quality of players we need over lets say chelsea,arsenal leicester and even everton.

It worries me that we will be left this window to hoover up the dregs of what is available and struggle to finish in the top 10 next season when fans are back and situations change.

• Confused 2

Every summer window Villa seem to be in the position of having to wait for other teams to do their business first to set the wheels in motion.

This summer with the Euro's I wonder if that will impact on signings once again...

It would be great if we could get business done so we have a pre-season with all new players present.

I was just looking at the squad. With Heaton, Elmo and Taylor all expected to leave this summer we won't have a single player over 30 years old. The oldest player will be Emi at 28.

Do we need some more experience? 

46 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Im sure dean smith said yesterday that he was "excited" about the clubs signing targets this upcoming window and that the fans should be to.

Im not to sure to be honest that we have the pulling power to attract the quality of players we need over lets say chelsea,arsenal leicester and even everton.

It worries me that we will be left this window to hoover up the dregs of what is available and struggle to finish in the top 10 next season when fans are back and situations change.

That's a surprisingly negative outlook. I don't think for one second we're top of the food chain yet but we'll definitely be getting amongst it and making some big moves.

52 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Thats where the infrastructure comes in to play, I agree we probably don't have that pulling power (although big club and stuff like that is a myth, it's all about the £) 

The scouts need to unearth gems, purslow needs to do deals that no one else thought was possible 

I'd love at least 1 signing this summer where fans of Everton, arsenal, Leicester etc take one look at it and say we should have done that, it's not about having more pull than them it's about being where they're not 

That imo is what Leicester have done incredibly well for a while now 

And that's why I don't want us just going after Abraham or Sarr or ASM

• Like 2