Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think he'll (Abraham) go somewere for around £40m score around twenty goals next season and that £40m will look like a good deal.

I don't think we're desperate for him though, as I say Dike, someone of a similar stature, would be good for us, or someone like Jonathan David who can play all across the front three.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

If we had Tammy, I would not want to push Ollie out wide - I would love to see them play off each other with Jack in behind them, or possibly BT at "10" and Jack as an "8" as he has played before.

---------------------------- Martinez -----------------------------

------- Axel ------------- Konsa ------------- Mings -------

Cash -------- Bissouma ------ Luiz ----------- Targett

----------------------------- Jack ----------------------------------

------------------- Tammy -------- Ollie -----------------------

Or

----------------------- Current back 5 -------------------------

------------------------- Bissouma ------------------------------

------- SJM ---------------------------------------- Jack -------

-------------------------------- BT -----------------------------------

--------------------- Tammy ---- Ollie -------------------------

I think that could be really exciting.

Like I said having them both gives options because you want them both on the pitch and you have highlighted more.

You could always have it so one is always played first half and the other is brought on at half time between Tammy and Ollie. This while notion that neither would be happy to be a sub is rubbish I think, so long as they both play and they agree to there contracts and they are paid then the Muller keeps them happy at Villa. 

We would have the problem of who do we keep and who do we sell out of Wesley and Davis?? It's a tricky one as one can't really score and the other has been out for time that we don't know how he will be now. Wesley would fetch the most money hands down while Davis would appeal to more championship clubs, either way if Tammy gets brought in you have to sell one of them. Maybe we should sell a few players to make some cash which in turn eases abit of FFP because it's money coming in, all while we refresh the ranks with new signings. 

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

agreed with most of this. I like Nakamba but it's telling that he rarely gets a game for us. I really like Luiz as well and want to give him more game time, yet also think there is room for an out and our DM better than Nakamba. I guess my big concern would be where does this new DM signing play. 

Like you say, Luiz would then compete with McGinn (whom Smith loves like you said) and Sanson (like you say again wasn't signed to be a backup). I just don't see where another midfield signing would go in because Deano isn't going to be dropping his 2 wingers playstyle (or at least hasn't shown any inclination to do so. This leaves me at the point where are we expecting to sell Luiz to get this new old fashioned DM  

All the top teams have a DM.....how can they be old fashioned?

Thats a myth.

but those DM's have to do what it says on the tin.

our squad is too small, Luiz will be in the squad and continue to work on his game, so placing spots are immaterial.....they have to fight for them.

If we want to move on, our thinking has to move on....The jobs on the pitch, have to be filled by those that can master them.

may I say, there is no old fashioned anything, its a lazy line......Man City don't play with a recognised No9 ,are they old fashioned now?....do we all play with a false 9?...you play a style that is commensurate with the strength and attributes of your personnel.

its choices and styles, "old fashioned" is an inappropriate description.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

All the top teams have a DM.....how can they be old fashioned?

Thats a myth.

but those DM's have to do what it says on the tin.

our squad is too small, Luiz will be in the squad and continue to work on his game, so placing spots are immaterial.....they have to fight for them.

If we want to move on, our thinking has to move on....The jobs on the pitch, have to be filled but those that can do them.

may I say, there is no old fashioned anything, its a lazy line......Man City don't play with a recognised No9 ,are they old fashioned now?....do we all play with a false 9?

its choices and styles, "old fashioned" is an inappropriate description.

It's interesting how things evolve and circle back to ‘old fashioned’ tactics. 

I was looking at Chelsea v Arsenal the other day and both teams played a back three, with wingbacks for width, two DMs, and two AMs forming a square with one up top. 

Got me thinking that could really work for us with a slight tweak, and a new DM.

Also, that there is only one thing that matters, old fashioned or new, and that is that it works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I was looking at Chelsea v Arsenal the other day and both teams played a back three, with wingbacks for width, two DMs, and two AMs forming a square with one up top. 

Got me thinking that could really work for us with a slight tweak, and a new DM.

Also, that there is only one thing that matters, old fashioned or new, and that is that it works.

We would need a stronger midfield presence for that without a doubt. By By Winger system than god if this came in.

I would vote for any system other than this 4-3-3 because without Jack or top class Winger next season I think teams will just suss us out even more.

19 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Your comments are spot on Imo.

Football is a mature sport/ business, most things have been tried and used years ago, great coaches, like Rinus Michels and Vic Buckingham etc have used systems and playing styles way before the modern coaches have.....most things today are regurgitated from the past.

Most things teams do are driven by the attributes of the players on their playing staff....every team has shortfalls or weaknesses.....What makes teams better or great, they make less mistakes than their opponents.

I still think we are all guilty of watching too much on the ball play and not enough off the ball play....its only natural to a degree, because we all want to enjoy the frills of the game....but taking time out sometimes to look at the game without the  ball gives another dimension of analysis.

Great players are very good without the ball as well as with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Abraham would never be available for £20m in a million years, to think we could get him for that much would be as erroneous as thinking we could get Toney for £15m, or another team thinking they could get Watkins for not much more than £20m.

If we want a striker for around £20m, that can play on his own up front, then Dike is the player from the championship to look at.

I guess we are looking at the difference between cost and value. I agree that Tammy would cost somewhere between £30 and £50m. I think his real value is closer to £20m though.

He is a tricky one because he will score goals in a very good team but he will miss big chances that a cf in a very good team would usually bury. There fore he is unlikely to get a role within a very good team. 

He then becomes a mid table type team level. The problem here though is he won’t get enough chances to get enough goals and his all round game is not good enough to warrant a big price tag. He would be nowhere near as effective in our team as Ollie is for this very reason.

I think there’s a chance that he will go out on loan next season and probably every other season until his contract ends or Chelsea submit to selling at a lower price.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I guess we are looking at the difference between cost and value. I agree that Tammy would cost somewhere between £30 and £50m. I think his real value is closer to £20m though.

He is a tricky one because he will score goals in a very good team but he will miss big chances that a cf in a very good team would usually bury. There fore he is unlikely to get a role within a very good team. 

He then becomes a mid table type team level. The problem here though is he won’t get enough chances to get enough goals and his all round game is not good enough to warrant a big price tag. He would be nowhere near as effective in our team as Ollie is for this very reason.

I think there’s a chance that he will go out on loan next season and probably every other season until his contract ends or Chelsea submit to selling at a lower price.

I think you make a very good observation.

40 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I could see this working away from home  or in the big games:

Martinez

Konsa       Tarkowski    Mings

Cash          Luiz       Anguissa    Targett

Maddison   Grealish

Ollie

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We would need a stronger midfield presence for that without a doubt. By By Winger system than god if this came in.

I would vote for any system other than this 4-3-3 because without Jack or top class Winger next season I think teams will just suss us out even more.

The trouble is Dave, what ever the permutation, we all only have 11 players.....so it all boils down to where we deploy them and how effective they are individually.

you only need a few passengers to put paid to the theory of any permutation or formation....one of the reasons i favour, workrate and effectiveness, not just formation.....I think Ron Saunders too, was switched on well, to workrate.....watch how hard the top teams like Man city, work.

When set up, we assume every player is on form and at it.....otherwise, we and every other team, becomes out of balance and flawed.....one of the reasons consistency is easy to talk about, but difficult to achieve.....League tables usually, reflect all this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Martinez

Maddison   Grealish

Ollie

We will not be spending 50 million on a 3rd choice centre back 😉

5 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Martinez

Maddison   Grealish

Ollie

Hmmmmmm.....love the balance.

not sure of the likelihood

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

With Jack yes we would be able to make chances just about but without him unless we pay the price to get exceptional Wingers and an attacking midfielder, we would struggle to supply TamTam. The story will be just more of the same with Ghazi and Trezegeut where they look awful doing everything else but scoring goals here and there. I am down for bringing Tammy back to VP, so long as we bring in the necessary support that we need anyway In the team.

I've a feeling tonight we will struggle against Everton and I think it will be because our Wingers are ineffective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Martinez

Maddison   Grealish

Ollie

Very good, I like the idea of playing different formations against different teams, each formation needs to be as strong as the next and the quality of the players you mention would give us that.

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Very good, I like the idea of playing different formations against different teams, each formation needs to be as strong as the next and the quality of the players you mention would give us that.

We’ve varied how the midfield set up a fair bit this year, flat 3, 1 défensive with 2 AM, 2 defensive with an AM/No 10.  Unfortunately, it’s been pretty much the same names regardless of how they play.  I’m not saying square pegs in round holes, but it’s definitely not horses for courses.