Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Anyone else fancy a cheeky loan before the window slams shut? Clubs like Chelsea can't find a big enough bench and other clubs need to take some wages off their books. If we are not going to sign anyone else permanently (which would be disappointing) then how about loaning a player with an option to buy?  

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Tbh, over the last few years we've all been sold a great and inspiring bit of PR from the club about how ambitious the owners are and how their aim is the Champions League. I appreciate that they have invested heavily so far, and that they've been a miracle to the club pretty much, but this transfer window for me, and I expect for a few others, feels like we might have stood still at best—and the real worry is that we've taken a massive step back. A negative outlay in terms of player investments when we were such a one man team in the first place and when we've lost Jack just doesn't feel good for me. It's more than just that though—I just don't get the impression we're in that great a shape, and certainly not in a state that is going to bring us closer this season towards the level of ambition that's been talked up for the last few years. A step backwards now, while losing our best player, and having such an unbalanced squad feels a bit dangerous. That's my subjective feeling on where we're at.

I hope I'm wrong. I understand we're in a period of transition, but I am more fearful for the team this season than I've been since the dark days. Hopefully the youth really step up.

Maybe it's PR but the bottomline is that we are once again competitive in the highest league and play nice football. It's not the end of the world if we don't keep progressing at the same pace we have been. We are currently in a very good state and enjoyable. Don't you think?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I understand we're in a period of transition, but I am more fearful for the team this season than I've been since the dark days.

I think there are worse teams than us if it came to it so I wouldn’t be that worried. We have goals in us. That said maybe the youngsters stepping up might surprise us and do really well in the prem, let’s hope so for own sake. Ramsey so far is doing well for example, however the real test comes when we get a string of bad results and how they react. As it stands though we have reason to have some optimism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Tbh, over the last few years we've all been sold a great and inspiring bit of PR from the club about how ambitious the owners are and how their aim is the Champions League. I appreciate that they have invested heavily so far, and that they've been a miracle to the club pretty much, but this transfer window for me, and I expect for a few others, feels like we might have stood still at best—and the real worry is that we've taken a massive step back. A negative outlay in terms of player investments when we were such a one man team in the first place and when we've lost Jack just doesn't feel good for me. It's more than just that though—I just don't get the impression we're in that great a shape, and certainly not in a state that is going to bring us closer this season towards the level of ambition that's been talked up for the last few years. A step backwards now, while losing our best player, and having such an unbalanced squad feels a bit dangerous. That's my subjective feeling on where we're at.

I hope I'm wrong. I understand we're in a period of transition, but I am more fearful for the team this season than I've been since the dark days. Hopefully the youth really step up.

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous and, maybe unfairly, suspect that things may not all be rosy behind the scenes and that this window has in no way gone to plan. Fingers crossed I’m completely wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

It’s all a lie, NSWE don’t really exist and are actors controlled by the evil puppet master Dr Xia. Can Randy Lerner the honest banker come back and save us? Is Deadly Doug really dead or just hiding away on a tropical island, ready to step in at the last minute and reclaim his rightful place as Mr Aston Villa. Or will Doris the humble tea lady step forward to smash the evil Doctor with her magic tea pot. Confused? Don’t miss the next episode of The Villans!! 

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous and, maybe unfairly, suspect that things may not all be rosy behind the scenes and that this window has in no way gone to plan. Fingers crossed I’m completely wrong.

I mean this window definitely hasn't gone to plan. Grealish sold, a disrupted pre season, assistants leaving, missing out on ESR and JWP. It's clearly far from ideal, but let's not forget the positives. 5 solid looking signings to spread the load across the team rather than one player, a fantastic youth set up with several graduates already knocking on the first team door, and we still have a side that boasts one of the best defences from last season, and we've added more goals to the side. Sure we'd like a more balanced midfield, but the younger players and Sanson may be the answer to that, we just don't know.

There's still plenty of reasons to be positive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone else fancy a cheeky loan before the window slams shut? Clubs like Chelsea can't find a big enough bench and other clubs need to take some wages off their books. If we are not going to sign anyone else permanently (which would be disappointing) then how about loaning a player with an option to buy?  

I fancy a cheeky loan to buy  bid for that lukaku fella.....ya know..just to help their bench out

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I don't think we're anywhere near relegation trouble any more and, personally, am looking forward to another season of being competitive in the Premier League.  Whether we finish 8th or 15th is largely 'whatever' (obviously higher is better because more wins).

I definitely can't see how you think we've taken a massive step back.  There hasn't really been that much change!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

Chelsea have an insane number of players to shift, they can only register 25 players and I think they're still at around the 35 mark even with Abraham, Zouma, Bakayoko etc leaving. The problem is any of the players realistically worth loaning to improve our team will be in that final 25, not the castoffs they need to shift.

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

Maybe it's PR but the bottomline is that we are once again competitive in the highest league and play nice football. It's not the end of the world if we don't keep progressing at the same pace we have been. We are currently in a very good state and enjoyable. Don't you think?

Agreed, it would not be the end of the world, but this would have been a great opportunity to have kicked on, when other clubs may have been more open to selling players, than they could be in 12 months time and players keener to join us now, than they might be next year. We do run the risk of going backwards by doing nothing, as we demonstrated after the glory days of the early 80s. 

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

Agreed, it would not be the end of the world, but this would have been a great opportunity to have kicked on, when other clubs may have been more open to selling players, than they could be in 12 months time and players keener to join us now, than they might be next year. We do run the risk of going backwards by doing nothing, as we demonstrated after the glory days of the early 80s. 

Perhaps but opportunities come and go and this will still remain true in a year's time. We did also buy Sanson right as the opportunity arose.

Maybe the market isn't as wild west as we all believe right now and it would be poor business to flog money about.

I see no indications to worry about how we are being run and our dealings. At least not now based on all evidence.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Others have said  Smith doesn't really do a  DM even when he was at Brentford and Walsall.

That's an interesting point.

Can I ask those of you who regularly watch youth team football whether there is any indication that a strong and mobile DM is an important feature of each age group.

Purslow said some time ago that it was important that our youngsters were coached to play the same system as the first team for the sake of seamless progression.

I'm trying to think with my current limited knowledge of our youth players, whether any are similar in style and physique to a Bissouma/Doucoure type of DM.

If we don't have this type of DM in the system then it may well indicate that Smith doesn't place too much importance on a physical presence in this position going forward.

I hope this isn't the case as the centre of midfield has been an area where (imo) we've been regularly over powered for some time.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think we're anywhere near relegation trouble any more and, personally, am looking forward to another season of being competitive in the Premier League.  Whether we finish 8th or 15th is largely 'whatever' (obviously higher is better because more wins).

I definitely can't see how you think we've taken a massive step back.  There hasn't really been that much change!

I mean, we lost by far our best player who inspired all our best performances. There are a few other things (JT and so on), but Jack is the main one.

We needed to push on with Jack, but now we have his input to make up while also trying to progress? I might feel better when Bailey/Traore/Watkins/Sanson are fit, and I hope I'm just reacting badly to how bare bones we seem to be right now, but our opening two games don't inspire me. Newcastle are dire and I am in full worry mode.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I mean, we lost by far our best player who inspired all our best performances. There are a few other things (JT and so on), but Jack is the main one.

We needed to push on with Jack, but now we have his input to make up while also trying to progress? I might feel better when Bailey/Traore/Watkins/Sanson are fit, and I hope I'm just reacting badly to how bare bones we seem to be right now, but our opening two games don't inspire me. Newcastle are dire and I am in full worry mode.

It is what it is though. I think that we have addressed losing Jack in a calm and cool manner as a club. not getting fleeced and finding some hot prospects in Buendia and Bailey while also getting one of the PLs top strikers. Not bad really.

I don't think two games is enough to warrant worrying. If it makes you feel better have a look at this cute cat:

Animal; Pet; Cat; Family Member; Kitten;Pet Cats Photography; Cute Cat;Obese  Cat; Tabby Cat; Shorthair Cat; Longh… | Beautiful kittens, Cute animals,  Cute baby cats

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Yes, we've lost a world class player who is irreplaceable for us (talent-wise) in our current position.  He was always going to leave at some point, it was just hopeful that he'd stay for another season or two.  In any case, he's been the one (albeit massive) departure.  That's it.

We've brought in Buendia - who seems to be held in basically the same regard as Grealish for us, just by Norwich fans - Bailey (honestly, I don't think people realise how big a coup this signing is) and Ings who, frankly, scores goals.  Our biggest issue last season wasn't at the back, it was going forward.  Seems an odd thing to say given that we had Grealish and Watkins and the rest, but we were outscored by all but 1 (Arsenal, same number of goals (55)) of the top 9 clubs last season whereas 6 of them had better defensive records.  I do recognise that Martinez was a big part in this, though, and obviously a proper defensive midfielder to shield the defence more would lead to fewer shots being conceded.

For me, that's the only signing we're really missing out on that takes us from pushing to finish top half to pushing for European football.  

38 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Chelsea have an insane number of players to shift, they can only register 25 players and I think they're still at around the 35 mark even with Abraham, Zouma, Bakayoko etc leaving. The problem is any of the players realistically worth loaning to improve our team will be in that final 25, not the castoffs they need to shift.

They still have Danny bloody Drinkwater on their books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Who is available?

Edit, I looked for myself.

I think the only viable option may be Hudson Odoi as they have so many forward options, but you would have thought he would be in the 25 like you said.

Edited by paul514

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Who is available?

Edit, I looked for myself.

I think the only viable option may be Hudson Odoi as they have so many forward options, but you would have thought he would be in the 25 like you said.

Yeah it's amazing they can have so many players out in the cold and there's not realistically one you'd look at and go 'we need to get him'

• Like 1