Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Pessimistic post. 

After hearing the news of Ronaldo to United. I just feel down about our transfer window. Crazy I know! I feel like we've been doing good things but ran out of steam. The teams above us have possibly strengthened better than we have. How can we chase if they are pulling away? 

We got business done early but teams have added alot since our last transfer. I think we're just about standing still in the league. 

I think the day Grealish gone, this season has become another rebuilding one, with a hope of Europe somehow. 
Last season I was one of the few that looked at the European places as a possibility (without making it a failure if we didn’t). This season it’s still the same. 
Top 4 are still far to reach. Although Ronaldo and Lukaku are costing a lot while they’re old enough to do what they’re doing now in 2 seasons. Until then they’re not what we’re targeting. (Add to that, the fact that Ole is still Man Utd manager). 
The aim now is to be better than (Brighton, Everton, Leeds, Wolves, Brentford and Arsenal). Then think of (West Ham, Leicester and Spurs). If we some found ourselves above those, then think of Man Utd and Liverpool. Finally Chelsea and City. 

Couple of years ago Arsenal were a regular CL team. Liverpool were a more EL team. Things changed. 
Last year it was only City and Liverpool. Now it’s more of Chelsea. Utd were second but no one is giving them a chance of the league than the other three. They will now with CR7. 
Things changes all the time. We were in a rush because of Jack. Now I think we shall calm down. Look at improving. Welcoming any success without pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I still don’t believe we are finished. All the noise from the owners has been about challenging for European football. Our chances of that as things stand are very slim. Surely they are still working away at stuff!

We’ve been spending huge amounts but without any return. Yes we sold Jack, but now it’s the time for next level. We need Bailey’s quality right now. Where and how much can we find those?

2 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

You can't realistically expect us to out spend the likes of City, United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

We are where we are. Investing in youth, long-term strategy. Be positive.

About what? What does that mean, "be positive"? With all due respect you've just pointed out very starkly our place in the pecking order and that we can't be expected to rival a host of clubs for transfers (including **** Spurs, as if they've ever experienced the success we have). If that's all true, what on earth are you telling people to be positive about? A crop of kids who may or may not turn into good players? Christ, I hope that's not all we have to look forward to. I'll be six feet under by the time Villa win another piece of silverware at that rate.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve been spending huge amounts but without any return. Yes we sold Jack, but now it’s the time for next level. We need Bailey’s quality right now. Where and how much can we find those?

There are plenty of midfielders that are significantly better than we have, who could be attainable. I still think we will bring one in.

We're a mid table club. To expect anything else is a fallacy. We're not going to challenge for top 4 they're too far ahead. We're looking at a top 8 challenge every season. If we do better than that then happy days.

Hopefully we play good football and we get a few good results against the top 4. 

We unfortunately can't compete against these clubs. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

I still don’t believe we are finished. All the noise from the owners has been about challenging for European football. Our chances of that as things stand are very slim. Surely they are still working away at stuff!

getting in to Europe is not a race... Everyone is expecting that we neEeEeEEeEEd to do this this season or we are DooooOoOOm0ooomed Fooo0oooO000O00o0reEeeeEEeveeeeeer. We don't need to, we need to maintain stability and incremental improvement  

losing Grealish may take a tactical hit this season, but we have some positive signings and our youth players are progressing very nicely.. as things stand, I believe we are 2/3 seasons away from being a regular European team  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We're a mid table club. To expect anything else is a fallacy. We're not going to challenge for top 4 they're too far ahead. We're looking at a top 8 challenge every season. If we do better than that then happy days.

Hopefully we play good football and we get a few good results against the top 4. 

We unfortunately can't compete against these clubs. 

To me that's defeatist nonsense and far worse than the people who get lambasted for thinking we've had a bad window or won't do well this season.

Wet **** Spam finished 6th last year and were arguably unlucky not to finish top 4 after winning half the available games, 19 matches, which would have been enough for 4th spot a decade ago.

If they can do that well, you can't make the argument that Villa are doomed to scrap it out for 8th or whatever.

Edited by est1874

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

About what? What does that mean, "be positive"? With all due respect you've just pointed out very starkly our place in the pecking order and that we can't be expected to rival a host of clubs for transfers (including **** Spurs, as if they've ever experienced the success we have). If that's all true, what on earth are you telling people to be positive about? A crop of kids who may or may not turn into good players? Christ, I hope that's not all we have to look forward to. I'll be six feet under by the time Villa win another piece of silverware at that rate.

Defeatist nonsense.

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The level of denial is reaching Grealish proportions. We are done for the summer

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Pessimistic post. 

After hearing the news of Ronaldo to United. I just feel down about our transfer window. Crazy I know! I feel like we've been doing good things but ran out of steam. The teams above us have possibly strengthened better than we have. How can we chase if they are pulling away? 

We got business done early but teams have added alot since our last transfer. I think we're just about standing still in the league. 

I’m not really sure how Utd signings Ronaldo has any effect on how good/bad our window has been. 

We are not competing with the top 4, they are light years ahead of us, it will take 10 yrs at least to get near them. The money in the game the last few years has created this gap, as they have squad players earning more than our best players. 

However, those teams we have a chance of competing with, who has improved that much? 
Leicester on paper have added well, but main signings are unproven in the league. 
West Ham, I couldn’t tell you who they signed which shows it’s no big names. 
Spurs, seem to have added well

Arsenal haven’t improved in areas where they need to (defence/gk) and look in disarray. 
Leeds, have they improved? 
Everton again no one exciting.

I think we’ve added well, I think Bailey will be awesome, Ings will always score and Buendia gives us options. Going a good experienced head. 

Yes I’d like a couple more, but overall I’m happy with the squad and I’m still sure we can finish higher than last yr

44 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The teams above us have possibly strengthened better than we have. How can we chase if they are pulling away? 

I don't rate the transfers of Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, West Ham and Leeds and don't think they have strengthened better than us

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Defeatist nonsense.

You're missing the entire point. It's the opposite. I clearly believe we should be more ambitious. That starts with making the right moves in the window and spending bigger than we have done. NSWE are great and all, spent £95m but in actual fact we have made a NET profit in the window by losing our best player by a country mile. You can't bring in the players we have and then say the job's done. It's not. 

27 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Like it or not we can't compete with the Big6 on transfer fees and wages.

While we were criminally neglected and mismanaged for 10 years under Lerner and Dr Tony they pulled too far away. Reality check, this won't be fixed in 3 or 5 years.

Place where we can gain competitive advantage is in developing youth and hoping for them to be good enough to elevate us higher up the table.

If the above doesn't work, the best we can do is another Leicester (nothing wrong with their model BTW), keep selling your best players and reinvest.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You're missing the entire point. It's the opposite. I clearly believe we should be more ambitious. That starts with making the right moves in the window and spending bigger than we have done. NSWE are great and all, spent £95m but in actual fact we have made a NET profit in the window by losing our best player by a country mile. You can't bring in the players we have and then say the job's done. It's not. 

We can still only play 11 players at any one time. We can't start stockpiling expensive players on very high wages. We need to be able to get some out of Villa too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

NSWE spent £350m of their own money since promotion (£250m net spend) on transfers. It's easy asking people to be more ambitious when it's not your money.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

You can't realistically expect us to out spend the likes of City, United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

We are where we are. Investing in youth, long-term strategy. Be positive.

That's all very well and good until that youth, if does well **** off at the first chance..so we never ever challenge, stuck in a never ending rebuild.

• Thanks 1