Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

We can still only play 11 players at any one time. We can't start stockpiling expensive players on very high wages. We need to be able to get some out of Villa too

Come on. Our squad isn't that big, it's only midfield where we're a bit bloated, and it's quantity over quality there. We could've sold any from Luiz, AEG, probably Nakamba and Hourihane (though at a loss) this window but didn't. Maybe one of the latter two will go before the bell tolls on Tuesday but who knows. None of that should effect the fact that we are in dire need of a CDM.

If you had no decent strikers at the club you wouldn't look at your goalkeepers and say "well we've got 5 of those on the books so no need to sign a quality forward". Wouldn't make any sense.

Same should be true of a DM. We don't have one capable of doing the job at PL level, so we should acquire one at all costs. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve been spending huge amounts but without any return. Yes we sold Jack, but now it’s the time for next level. We need Bailey’s quality right now. Where and how much can we find those?

The injuries/disruption has scuppered our feelgood factor, start

get over them, and a few surprises from the youth, you never know what can be achieved....One more is needed for me this window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

NSWE spent £350m of their own money since promotion (£250m net spend) on transfers. It's easy asking people to be more ambitious when it's not your money.

They're the ones talking about Europe, challenging for silverware etc. Nobody forced them to do it and nobody forced them to buy the club. If they want the success they appear to crave, £250m NET spend is peanuts I'm afraid. They can expect to keep forking out £100m every year just to stand still unless we make one big jump forward which can only happen by bringing some huge talent in. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, est1874 said:

We could've sold any from Luiz, AEG, probably Nakamba and Hourihane (though at a loss) this window but didn't.

How can u possibly know that?

I would say we are doing our best to sell Hourihane. I would say we would like to sell AEG. The other two are a little more difficult as we would have to write down all outstanding amortisation amounts into this accounting window if we sold them and we need to be wary of FFP.

I would like a DM but maybe the club has a different view. Nakama was excellent at the end of last season

10 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

NSWE spent £350m of their own money since promotion (£250m net spend) on transfers. It's easy asking people to be more ambitious when it's not your money.

I agree.

All the more reason why we should be more confident than we are about tomorrow.....They have not spent anywhere near that.

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

How can u possibly know that?

I would say we are doing our best to sell Hourihane. I would say we would like to sell AEG. The other two are a little more difficult as we would have to write down all outstanding amortisation amounts into this accounting window if we sold them and we need to be wary of FFP.

I would like a DM but maybe the club has a different view. Nakama was excellent at the end of last season

I don't think Nakamba has the football intelligence or swagger at this level Pete.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think Nakamba has the football intelligence or swagger at this level Pete.

I agree with that and I haven't been a fan of Nakamba but in fairness to the lad he really improved in the 2nd half of last season and the Villa stats when Nakamba played were very good. If he can play like he did last season (2nd half) I would be quite happy with him in the team

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

They're the ones talking about Europe, challenging for silverware etc. Nobody forced them to do it and nobody forced them to buy the club. If they want the success they appear to crave, £250m NET spend is peanuts I'm afraid. They can expect to keep forking out £100m every year just to stand still unless we make one big jump forward which can only happen by bringing some huge talent in. 

Not once has anyone at the club come out and said the expectation for Europe is this season...  Smith himself said we're 18 months away when we lost Jack.  

Clearly it's great that our Academy is strong at the mo, but after tying up three deals for quality players relatively quickly it's not a surprise that people are p*ssed off that that seems to be it for us this window.

Two reasons why - one, we've lost an unbelievable footballer and have only invested the money we got for him (i.e. net spend is zero); and second, we appear to have a serious injury crisis currently where 4-5 potential first team players are out (how long this lasts who knows, but when Smith says it's only short term we all know he's bullsh*tting). 

I don't understand why certain areas of the squad receive hardly ay investment - e.g. CM. We've spent around £39m on this area since we were promoted which is eff all. Spuds spent more than that on Ndombele alone. 

We've invested heavily up front and out wide, fair enough, but we've got weaknesses at CM and there's no real serious competition in defence so if one of our back 4 gets injured or isn't performing then we've got issues. 

I also really question our fitness and conditioning coaches because to have so many injuries this early on is absurd.

We really could do with one more big signing before the window closes, we're being linked with lots of CMs but none of it ever goes anywhere. Meanwhile Spuds, Arse, West Ham continue to look to improve by spending money while we just watch them and do nothing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Not once has anyone at the club come out and said the expectation for Europe is this season...  Smith himself said we're 18 months away when we lost Jack.  

Expectation/Goal, fine line between the meaning but still the wording at the end of July/early August (below) seems to have been reduced in the last week or so to “better than last season”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/get-into-europe-smith-sets-villa-a-target-few-fans-will-disagree-with-2021-22-aim/amp/

Our aim is certainly to improve on 11th place and to try and get into Europe.”

• Like 2

I would love for our owners to drop 500 million on 6-7 more players and pay off the Premier League/UEFA when they come crying about FFP rules.  Am I expecting it?  No.  Am I going to get worked up and angry at them if it doesn't happen?  No.

I would also love for us to spend another 100+ million this summer on 2-3 quality players to fill out the squad, but if that doesn't happen and they powers that be decide to wait until next summer and reevaluate our needs after another year of development, I'm not going to be bothered either.  For the first time ever, we have owners, a CEO, a DOF, and a manager all in sync together with a clear business plan and strategy to continue to drive the club forward and up the table.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

All the more reason why we should be more confident than we are about tomorrow.....They have not spent anywhere near that.

I’m pretty confident about tomorrow… didn’t realise we weren’t?!