Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Surely it isn't realistic to expect a 50/60m DM to come in right?

No I was talking hypothetically.

The point I was making was that such arrival would probably make more of an impact than somebody talking about the Aston villa football culture and how a big signing would disrupt that.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well I'm not trawling through the villa app to link the precise video. But he said something along the lines of "he's not expecting anymore incomings - but expecting a few to go out on loan"

I remember him saying something like, “we’re happy we’re we are.”  It would be fair to interpret that as meaning we’re not going to sign anyone else. It would equally be fair to think that means, we’re happy with the signings we’ve made, but we’re still trying to make some more. 

I thought the whole Purslow statement was all about telling the world that we’d already spent the Grealish money, so don’t try to fleece us if we try to do business with you. Possibly aimed at the likes of Southampton. If that was the case then Dean is hardly likely to be anything but vague publicly. I guess we’ll only really know if we sign someone or when the window slams shut. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I remember him saying something like, “we’re happy we’re we are.”  It would be fair to interpret that as meaning we’re not going to sign anyone else. It would equally be fair to think that means, we’re happy with the signings we’ve made, but we’re still trying to make some more. 

I thought the whole Purslow statement was all about telling the world that we’d already spent the Grealish money, so don’t try to fleece us if we try to do business with you. Possibly aimed at the likes of Southampton. If that was the case then Dean is hardly likely to be anything but vague publicly. I guess we’ll only really know if we sign someone or when the window slams shut. 

Maybe. But money's money. Take Pape Sarr for example - rumoured asking price of £40m. Do you really see that being lowered because Smith has said he's content with what we have ? - JWP much the same.

And as someone else has pointed out + the instant we move for such a player - selling club then knows we are looking to strengthen so the bluff is blown.

• Like 1

Well if he believes we are done then we need to trust his judgement… I don’t believe him for a second and every word he says will be considered and coded. Many teams out these need £££ and are probs trying to squeeze us knowing we have cash in the bank. If we walk away then that could impact them adversely financially. I think Smith is just playing the game and sending a message and not to put too much weight on his words… 

Edited by thabucks

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well I'm not trawling through the villa app to link the precise video. But he said something along the lines of "he's not expecting anymore incomings - but expecting a few to go out on loan"

‘We’re quite satisfied where we’re at, at the moment.’  Thereby telling those looking at El Ghazi, Nakamba or Wesley, that they need to pony up if they want them.  Equally, we don’t have millions burning holes in our pockets that we are looking to spend ASAP on other players.

I think the line is that we’ll need to replace any departures.

Maintaining our place in the table after losing one of the best players in the world would be progress.  It will show prospective transfer targets that we're no longer in relegation contention and are looking to continue to build upon our previous finishes and challenge up the other end of the table.  Do I think we're a genuine contender for European places?  No, I think we're still ~3-4 quality starters away from being legit challengers for the top 6.  Jack's brilliance papered over a lot of cracks in this team and I think we've done well to replace him with Ings, Buendia, and Bailey, but we still need more quality throughout the team to continue to push forward.  I would love to see a high quality CAM this window or JWP to solidify us playing 4-3-3 or Hasenhüttl's 4-2-2-2, which Deano experimented with in preseason.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Surely it isn't realistic to expect a 50/60m DM to come in right?

Or necessary, surely we should be looking to sign a 20-30M DM and turning him into a 60M one ? That’s why I think the Sarr and Doucoure links could have something in them, is this not what McKenzie is paid for ? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

As much as I'm keen for a DM, i would not suggest us being fleeced.

I think we might have left it too late, but hope we haven't.

I think we’d be more able to get a better price as the window begins to SLAM shut. But… then you might miss out on your no1 target. 

Man Utd and PSG are trying to sign Camavinga, at only 18 I think if we were to sell him the project and say that he’s bound to start here, maybe we’d have a chance. £36m is the fee being touted, which we could do, but would depend on if the player wants instant success via the bench or wants to actually play 

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

rumoured asking price of £40m

It's about the actual acceptance price ... and here a whole bunch of factors come into play ... a lot of which are based on perception.

For example there could well be a perception that Man City will pay a higher price than Villa to get a particular target. I have no idea whether this is true or not. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe. But money's money. Take Pape Sarr for example - rumoured asking price of £40m. Do you really see that being lowered because Smith has said he's content with what we have ? - JWP much the same.

And as someone else has pointed out + the instant we move for such a player - selling club then knows we are looking to strengthen so the bluff is blown.

Or it’s a case of “here’s what we are willing to pay, but we will not be held to ransom as either there are other options or we will stick with what we have”.

Don’t always have to turn the clubs head, just the players.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

As much as I'm keen for a DM, i would not suggest us being fleeced.

I think we might have left it too late, but hope we haven't.

I think it depends on which formation Smith wants to pursue. If he wants to go with 2 at CM, we definitely need someone with a lot more energy and presence than say, McGinn, but if we're going back to three, I think we'll be fine until January.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we’d be more able to get a better price as the window begins to SLAM shut. But… then you might miss out on your no1 target. 

Man Utd and PSG are trying to sign Camavinga, at only 18 I think if we were to sell him the project and say that he’s bound to start here, maybe we’d have a chance. £36m is the fee being touted, which we could do, but would depend on if the player wants instant success via the bench or wants to actually play 

Camavinga would be an incredible signing, can’t see he’d come to us though without a huge pay packet and a guaranteed  release clause (same agent as Jack).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Camavinga would be an incredible signing, can’t see he’d come to us though without a huge pay packet and a guaranteed  release clause (same agent as Jack).

Yeah, it’s a bit pie in the sky, would be amazing though

If we’re done I can’t help but think this window was a missed opportunity for us to really show intent.

The times have moved on from when teams could have done a City/Chelsea and net spend their way to the top. But this summer was an opportunity given the grealish money coming in plus the temporary relaxation of FFP (not that I can claim to understand how it works).

So far we’ve just about replaced grealish in theory with a net spend which is negative. For me that’s not good enough and I’d have liked to see more ambition/statement signings with at least another couple of big names coming in (I.e like JWP). I might be wrong and buendia/Bailey/Ings  will more than compensate for loss of grealish and/or we have big plans for January or next summer, but so far I can’t say we’ve made the most of the opportunity the grealish cash presents for us 

• Like 4

I don’t put much trust in what Smith says in his press conferences or to the media. I just don’t think there is any chance we aren’t in the market for a more combative midfielder.

Personally I’ve liked Nakamba but he probably is too limited for where we want to be. A new signing and then having Luiz is as well and we’d be well set.