Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Haha, I get it.

On the other hand, James Milner is still a very good footballer and ran the most distance of any player in the league at the weekend at the age of 35.

I understand it might be a tough sell to him and Liverpool though.

I think he will go back to Leeds one day not us.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Over the last 2.5 seasons we've supposedly tried to sign Rice, Phillips, JWP along with a bunch of other names including the ones we've been linked with this summer which suggest that Smith and the people who handles transfers at the club, including the sport scientist are not oblivious to our issues in midfield. They probably don't think that just anyone and everyone is better than the ones we current have thou like some seen to believe.

I know it doesn't have to be explained but neither West Ham, Leeds or Southampton had any interest in selling these players to us, hence the transfers never happened. Instead we have signed players where there was a possibility to make deals as we had/have other holes to fill than just CM.

If there is a deal to be made to bring in a quality CM I'm certain we will, but it's not as easy as it is on FIFA or FM. The player some are describing we should go for is a £45m-£70m player if he is to tick all the boxes, and most of those guy will not want to move to Villa anyway. They want CL football or obscene money. And we are not the only ones looking for this type of player.

Leicester snapped up Soumaré who I've been bigging up for the last 2 years, Chelsea are apparently looking at Tchouaméni, another one I've been banging on about. Zakaria has CL clubs after him and so does Kamara from Marseille, as does both the young guys Sarr and  Doucoure. 

Now I'd be delighted if the club decides to splurge out on one of these guys, even if we have to pay over the odds, but in reality we do have to manage the finances. Gets a bit old when part of our fan base goes all Veruka Salt just because our owners have given us a golden ticket.

You mentioning Chelsea going after Tchouameni - reminds me of Tiemoue bakayoko. He was the most sought after midfielder in Europe after that season with Monaco (much the way Tchoumeni is now) - Chelsea spent a fortune on him. He did very well on loan at AC Milan too. Maybe we could dig him out of Chelsea's reserves? Third time lucky anyone?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you make some thoughful points...but what Leicester have is balance, their approach to centre midfield is superior imo....we have no Ndidi or Kante before him, we are showing no signs of signing such a player....and they was not really expensive.

In my view, with Carney, Jacob,and his brother coming up on the rails, why did we sign Sanson...why did we not sign a No6?

We have signed Buendia and we have McGinn and Luiz all suited to futher forward....Nakamba must wonder hiw he was ever signed.

We have been signing too many midfielders too similar, giving us no balance.

Having players who are too similar in a given position or part of the pitch is a different issue to whether or not we need to go spend all the Jack money now.

I agree there’s a sameness through the middle of the park, arguably the only formation that seems to facilitate the players we have is a 433, but then that raises a whole host of questions in terms of where does Buendia, Ings and Watkins fit in - someone has to drop out.

My concern is that some on here think money will fix the issue and we need 3-4 big new signings to be competitive - I can guarantee if we do that the squad will be all at sea until the second half the season. Player cohesion and culture in the dressing room is real and vital to success.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Having players who are too similar in a given position or part of the pitch is a different issue to whether or not we need to go spend all the Jack money now.

I agree there’s a sameness through the middle of the park, arguably the only formation that seems to facilitate the players we have is a 433, but then that raises a whole host of questions in terms of where does Buendia, Ings and Watkins fit in - someone has to drop out.

My concern is that some on here think money will fix the issue and we need 3-4 big new signings to be competitive - I can guarantee if we do that the squad will be all at sea until the second half the season. Player cohesion and culture in the dressing room is real and vital to success.

50 OR 60M on a quality DM would fix some of the issues. No further additions we will finish below our 11th place last season  IMO

Player cohesion even if there is such a thing - won't be there anyway at present our best player in around 50 years has left, 2 of the coaching staff have resigned - I really don't see  adding a couple more players a few games into the season will derail things anymore  - quite the opposite IMO.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our midfield deficiencies have been clear for all to see over the last 24 months. People expressing concern on the topic isn’t short termist, nor is it overly pessimistic, it’s realistic.

We’ve just lost to a team that will almost certainly be relegated. A team that, once again, exposed our weaknesses in midfield. As much as you’re annoyed by the ‘overreaction’ on here, I get slightly annoyed by the posters telling people who are accurately criticising the squads failures, that they’re overreacting. 

Whether you want to accept it or not, we’ve been very much a one man team for the last 3 years. I’d argue Grealish is the only reason we came up and then stopped up. He’s not here anymore and I apologise if I’m expressing slight concern that we haven’t improved as a team with our transfer dealings to date. 

Be my guest though. If you want to ignore the ‘couple of data points’ and pretend we’re a more balanced and improved squad from last year, that’s fine too. 

I agree we need a new midfielder, 100%. That's the weakest spot on the pitch.

My point was more that just because we lost the first game, doesn't mean we need to be all doom and gloom about the season. I think we're a much better side than how we played in the first 60 minutes of the game. Somehow our preseason preparation was awful, and looks like we're going to need a game or two to get up to speed. The first 2/3 of the game felt like the 2 pre season games that should have been on our schedule but somehow weren't.

I'm still massively positive about the signings we've made, and think there's more to come. We're just being coy, and letting the market know we don't need to spend the money sitting in our pockets... 

1 hour ago, Silent_Bob said:

Agree. Let's not forget that it's less than 13 months since we secured our PL survival on the last day of the season. We probably overachieved a bit last season.

Rome wasn't built in a day. And things that are built in a day usually don't last very long. 

2019/20 was about survival. 2020/21 was about survival with good margin and 2021/22 was/is about consolidating as an upper mid table team. 

We should use this year to bring in quality in depth. Which we are doing. We now have options in most positions. 

Going for the players that should ensure we're challenging for a top 4 is for next summer or the summer after.

But comparing one game with one season is not really the debate

Regardless of the whole Jack saga and looking to bring in replacements, one of our top priorities this summer was to bring in a  decent DM. I am surprised that we  seem to be leaving it so late to sort this out. The other option that we aren't looking for one doesn't fill me with confidence for this season.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I agree with everything you said up to that last sentence. Milner is a special talent and a machine and I don't know who we could sign that would bring what he would bring to the squad, the dressing room and on the pitch 

Fair enough, for me his age is against him and I'm hoping that our recruitment team can identify someone that ticks enough boxes, and could grow into the sort of player that Milner has become.   

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No, one bad half and the game has ended, without said midfielder.

when the manager says we played like it was a friendly, is not to be mildly dismissed.....if we have a seismic shift in intensity on Saturday, all will be forgiven, even forgotten.

Until the next time we lose a game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sne said:

Over the last 2.5 seasons we've supposedly tried to sign Rice, Phillips, JWP along with a bunch of other names including the ones we've been linked with this summer which suggest that Smith and the people who handles transfers at the club, including the sport scientist are not oblivious to our issues in midfield. They probably don't think that just anyone and everyone is better than the ones we current have thou like some seen to believe.

I know it doesn't have to be explained but neither West Ham, Leeds or Southampton had any interest in selling these players to us, hence the transfers never happened. Instead we have signed players where there was a possibility to make deals as we had/have other holes to fill than just CM.

If there is a deal to be made to bring in a quality CM I'm certain we will, but it's not as easy as it is on FIFA or FM. The player some are describing we should go for is a £45m-£70m player if he is to tick all the boxes, and most of those guy will not want to move to Villa anyway. They want CL football or obscene money. And we are not the only ones looking for this type of player.

Leicester snapped up Soumaré who I've been bigging up for the last 2 years, Chelsea are apparently looking at Tchouaméni, another one I've been banging on about. Zakaria has CL clubs after him and so does Kamara from Marseille, as does both the young guys Sarr and  Doucoure. 

Now I'd be delighted if the club decides to splurge out on one of these guys, even if we have to pay over the odds, but in reality we do have to manage the finances. Gets a bit old when part of our fan base goes all Veruka Salt just because our owners have given us a golden ticket.

But thats no excuse to buy a centre midfielder, when we need a DM....we have all being saying it.

you have answered your own question...other clubs have done it as you have mentioned.

its folly, to say we have to spend that much on a DM......but at the end of the day, they don't sign one and its their consequences.

splurging is not the right approach, measured purchases for key additions is.....so far its been good, i just hope its not finished, else it will be what it is.....half good.

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Until the next time we lose a game.

If we play the same, I will say the same.......If we play really well, i will say accordingly.

I comment on the game.....i will comment on the season, when there has been sufficient games for it to appear sensible.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Its a question of ,can we sort out the issue, without spending money......i'm not sure we can.

the other thing is, i think you exaggerate how much money is required to bring in a dedicated no 6.....the first thing, is to recognise we need one....many fans do, I'm not sure Dean does.

in my humble opinion.....one good quality centre mid, with an ability to help control midfield, will transform us and get other players looking better.....this imbalance is having a knock on affect imo......A much better version of Nakamba is needed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

still think we are done smith does seem happy with squad

Maybe we had to, maybe we needed to address the financial Fairplay situation and only spend the Grealish money putting us in much better position for next year to continue growth?

47 minutes ago, John said:

Fair enough, for me his age is against him and I'm hoping that our recruitment team can identify someone that ticks enough boxes, and could grow into the sort of player that Milner has become.   

Yeah if we can find someone who has the career he's had we've done very well. 

His experience would be brilliant though in this young squad I think. I still would like another signing like Young to work with the young lads, signing Ings at 29 to be one of the most senior players at the club tells me we're still missing an old head or 2.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

still think we are done smith does seem happy with squad

Suspect you may be right - the club made clear that Sanson was a summer signing that they'd got in early. It's funny that all the supposed ITKs on twitter never seem to predict that all our business is done... Obviously don't get a lot of likes/retweets when they say that.

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

we've been disappointed before by this regime...last 2 summers in fact we've wanted another striker and been let down both times. be prepared for another disappointment

not a dig at the owners etc btw, personally i think we're done in the market though

The last two summers we didn't splurge 35-60mil and then receive 100mil which was not expected when spending the said 35-60mil. This would be a very different type of disappointment, unless they just can't get the type of player they want and will put that in the bank for January or next summer.

Edited by a-k