Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

When you take into account the Grealish fee we’ve spent -£15m so far. 

hopefully we get someone else in at least 

What would be good would be if we could spend another £80m on players, than I reckon we could have a squad that could seriously challenge the top 6.

Im sure it’s crossed Purslows mind.

56 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Look at other teams record signings

Watford 30 million on sarr

Everton 40 million on sigurdsenn

Wolves 37 million on silva

Newcastle 40 million on jollington

Leeds 30 million on Rodrigo 

West hammer haller 45 million and Anderson 40 million 

If these teams can and have spent large sums of money on players who have gone to them with no European football then it shouldn't be that hard as there are 6 teams in England who qualified and uses they also want the player, there aren't many other options if they want great wages and to be in the best league to raise their profile.

2 players that especially if both signed, would transform us to a far better team, neither are glamorous and it would be 90 million.

Bissouma and JWP

We have the money and can spend it.

We have 2 or 3 players that should be sold just to pull back the spending although probs only about 15 to 20 million back.

Buy them now and we should be fixed midfield wise for at least 3 years in the middle.

I disagree. JWP would be a massive signing brining in a england international at his peak of his career from a club that only 3 years  ago was streets ahead of us.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

No, I don't. I believe its a discussion the football dept have on recruitment and retention and a recommendation is made to the CEO, via the sporting director. The sporting director is making this decision.

McGinn was purchased by the club prior to Smith's appointment, he was bought for I believe 3million pound and would probably get 20-25m on the market, he's paid for himself.

Like Mings, Konsa etc he would have earned any pay rises based on performances, he's also now vice captain.

Your saying Smith has been backed to the hilt, but these are decisions made by the recruitment and retention team, this is why we have a sporting director. The previous sporting director, not Smith was moved on when the CEO/owners weren't happy with the transfer business after our first season in the PL.

Spot on, watching the Man City documentary shows that decisions about players and recruiting are made at the boardroom level without the manager present, I can’t imagine it’s too much different for us. 

• Like 3

I wonder if they are thinking; consolidate this year and aim as high as possible but be content with mid table, and then next year spend really big? Could easily spend £180m next year with the previous losses dropping off the FFP period, and the net spend this year?

13 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we’d be more able to get a better price as the window begins to SLAM shut. But… then you might miss out on your no1 target. 

Man Utd and PSG are trying to sign Camavinga, at only 18 I think if we were to sell him the project and say that he’s bound to start here, maybe we’d have a chance. £36m is the fee being touted, which we could do, but would depend on if the player wants instant success via the bench or wants to actually play 

I would say we need one with more experience.....having said that, I would take Bellingham as a CM all day long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

If these teams can and have spent large sums of money on players who have gone to them with no European football then it shouldn't be that hard as there are 6 teams in England who qualified and uses they also want the player, there aren't many other options if they want great wages and to be in the best league to raise their profile.

2 players that especially if both signed, would transform us to a far better team, neither are glamorous and it would be 90 million.

Bissouma and JWP

We have 2 or 3 players that should be sold just to pull back the spending although probs only about 15 to 20 million back.

Buy them now and we should be fixed midfield wise for at least 3 years in the middle.

Bissouma would be unreal in our team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Bissouma and JWP

If we can make Ings work the way we did then we can do this. These two players complete us, for now.

Worry about the house keeping later.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, est1874 said:

People balk at spending 40-50m on a first class CDM.

There's a reason we're stuck with Luiz, Nakamba, and a shoehorned #6 John McGinn. There's a reason we're not happy with either of them at CDM.

Collectively those 3 cost us ~£29m.

Like it or not we're more than likely going to have to spend significantly more on a quality CDM that improves our squad and helps us compete.

We're delighted at the investment NSWE have put into the club so far, and so we should be. But we're trying to challenge the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester.

Check out the the fees they paid for their record midfield signings. If we want quality in midfield, at some point we have to pay for it.

Its the area over the years, we have always tried to do on the cheap in relation to other area's.....The times when we have had good midfielders, we have had good teams.

why spoil the ship for a ha'penth of tar......our midfielders by and large have similar attributes, all too samey......We need a contrast in there.....also we have to play 3 because 2 are not strong enough, so you lose one up front.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would say we need one with more experience.....having said that, I would take Bellingham as a CM all day long.

I would take Bellingham too, but I think Camavinga is a similar level to be honest.

19 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder if they are thinking; consolidate this year and aim as high as possible but be content with mid table, and then next year spend really big? Could easily spend £180m next year with the previous losses dropping off the FFP period, and the net spend this year?

Surely this is the year to spend big given other clubs are more limited due to the covid impact? We don't want to lose the momentum of effectively finishing 25th-17th-11th up the football pyramid in the last 3 seasons. The longer we are away from the top 8/10 clubs it will be even harder to ever close the gulf. It would be  yet another in a very long list of chances of Villa failing to join the big boys such as the early to late 90s and the MON years.

Edited by The Fun Factory

25 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Personally I think something close to this.

We need to see how the current pieces slot together - once we have a steady base we can  see where the gaps are. I also think that want to look at DS without Jack.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I would take Bellingham too, but I think Camavinga is a similar level to be honest.

I bought Camavinga in Fifa and we won the league. I am really good at Fifa though, so…..

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Bissouma would be unreal in our team. 

There must be a prospect out there like him.

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Personally I think something close to this.

We need to see how the current pieces slot together - once we have a steady base we can  see where the gaps are. I also think that want to look at DS without Jack.

all makes sense.

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Surely this is the year to spend big given other clubs are more limited due to the covid impact? We don't want to lose the momentum of effectively finishing 25th-17th-11th up the football pyramid in the last 3 seasons. The longer we are away from the top 8/10 clubs it will be even harder to ever close the gulf. It would be  yet another in a very long list of chances of Villa failing to join the big boys such as the early to late 90s and the MON years.

its ok spending big.....we need to spend right.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Possible, but I doubt it. If we're not further up the table it makes it harder to spend £180m on quality players.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If we can make Ings work the way we did then we can do this. These two players complete us, for now.

Worry about the house keeping later.

You’re right the house keeping can wait. Any compliance issues with FFP, if it exists, don’t get assessed until March and so we can sell players in the January window. Given that January is generally a better month to sell than buy, I’d say that selling then makes sense anyway, to some extent. 

• Like 1