Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

That's a sound plan provided we actually finish midtable.

If the Watford game is anything to go by were going backwards and will end up failing to attract players as they won't want to join a club in the bottom half.

Our stock has never been higher in terms of the players we can attract and we really need to push on now imo.

I agree, I don’t think the strategy I’ve suggested is a good one, but it could be what the club are thinking. It’s a huge gamble in my opinion though.

9 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

For context.

I’d hope not, but who knows.  

Weird if it is done, that means we were never planing to spend any money of Grealish stayed.  Which surely can’t be true.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If the Watford game is anything to go by were going backwards and will end up failing to attract players as they won't want to join a club in the bottom half.

Our stock has never been higher in terms of the players we can attract and we really need to push on now imo.

Yeah it’s now or never.  

The ESL 6 and other big European teams are pushing to close up the top forever. 

This season might just be the last chance to get into the big boys club.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I’d hope not, but who knows.  

Weird if it is done, that means we were never planing to spend any money of Grealish stayed.  Which surely can’t be true.

I'd be surprised if we were done and would see it as a missed opportunity.

I am not sure that Ashley has any kind of meaningful communication with the club, let alone one that would feed him accurate transfer information.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Yeah it’s now or never.  

I feel like I've read this every year since around 2008.

And every year, there is a Leicester, a West Ham, an Everton, even a Leeds or a Burnley who somehow challenge for Europe.

I feel like the top 6 isn't closed at all, and the club are wise enough to know that the £100m could be invested next year once we become an established PL league team. Can I just remind everyone that around 12 months ago most people had us fighting in relegation places? It might take another season to turn that image around, and with players like Bailey, Martinez or Buendia I am confident we can get 8th place and push for better targets next season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Isn't that Cheikh Doucoure and Pape Sarr links we've had through the summer?

Massive difference in those two. Whilst Doucoure may come in and do a job for us - Pape Sarr is verging on being a teenage superstar , all the top clubs in Europe are tracking him. It was probably never realistic he was going to come to us. Be staggered if we got him now.

I think we are perhaps only looking £10-15m on a DM - or even perhaps a loan, or maybe we just go with what we have.

If our business is done, the club are either,

a) Happy with a 10th-13th place finish.
b) Woefully naive in thinking what we have will result in a push for Europe.

I'd be much happier with option a). We almost ceased to exist 3 years ago so being a solid mid table side in the PL is fine by me for a while before an eventual push. 

Personally, and it won't be a surprise to anyone on here, I think our business has left us with huge imbalance throughout the squad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yeah it’s now or never.  

What?

Whats different about this year than the previous decade? Or this year than what the next decade will hold?

People are going crazy. Ever since we got promoted some have been acting like football is ending in a couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I feel like I've read this every year since around 2008.

And every year, there is a Leicester, a West Ham, an Everton, even a Leeds or a Burnley who somehow challenge for Europe.

I feel like the top 6 isn't closed at all, and the club are wise enough to know that the £100m could be invested next year once we become an established PL league team. Can I just remind everyone that around 12 months ago most people had us fighting in relegation places? It might take another season to turn that image around, and with players like Bailey, Martinez or Buendia I am confident we can get 8th place and push for better targets next season. 

Agree your general point - but think 8th is a push.

Without Jack I don't think teams will fear us as much. Some teams had 2 or 3 blokes on him last season - even in his poorer games teams were wary of him.

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We finished 11th and beat Arsenal to the signing of Buendia and signed one of the most exciting players in the Bundesliga. 

The idea that we won't be able to sign good players next summer based on the Watford game is the kind of hypothetical doomsday nonsense I've just mentioned in the Dean Smith thread. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd be much happier with option a). We almost ceased to exist 3 years ago so being a solid mid table side in the PL is fine by me for a while before an eventual push. 

Personally, and it won't be a surprise to anyone on here, I think our business has left us with huge imbalance throughout the squad. 

Totally agree. Starting at the back - once you get to midfield every position is up for grabs - even right through to Watkins up front. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What?

Whats different about this year than the previous decade? Or this year than what the next decade will hold?

People are going crazy. Ever since we got promoted some have been acting like football is ending in a couple of years. 

The ESL last season? That hasn’t gone away, they are just refining it and will be back next summer with a watertight version.

The changing of FFP to the 70% wage cap, backed by UEFA.  That pretty much kills the league for someone like Villa.  We will have to pay Man City to spend at our current level, yet it doesn’t affect them.

So it's either

A - close the purse and see how we get along integrating some young uns, and spend big and accurately next summer

or it's

B - spend spend spend to maintain our position and keep moving forwards so we don't lose our better players next summer

I'm leaning toward option A, personally (but wouldn't sniff at JWP)

Edited by Jareth

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's not the playing squad that hampers us so much this season IMO, more the disrupted pre-season and the challenge of integrating a whole new attack. It's not going to suddenly gel, will take a good few weeks at least. 

I do think a more influential and defensively savvy midfielder would make a big difference - but beyond that I think the squad itself is decent and certainly good enough for top half. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We finished 11th and beat Arsenal to the signing of Buendia and signed one of the most exciting players in the Bundesliga. 

The idea that we won't be able to sign good players next summer based on the Watford game is the kind of hypothetical doomsday nonsense I've just mentioned in the Dean Smith thread. 

I don't tracking Arsenal in the transfer market is what is was:-

£50M for Ben White

Sold us Martinez for £17m  - They wanted to by Ramsdale for getting on double that ! 

Taken player by player weve done well this close season. The challenge now is making them a team. 

If we are really done then that is quite disappointing. Can only assume they don't want to change too much with the first team this season considering they have already brought in 3 new players. But it seems odd to not a bring a midfielder in.

Also, I feel we've missed an opportunity to get players from abroad cheaper than usual due to the impact of covid. I trust the recruitment team regardless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The ESL last season? That hasn’t gone away, they are just refining it and will be back next summer with a watertight version.

The changing of FFP to the 70% wage cap, backed by UEFA.  That pretty much kills the league for someone like Villa.  We will have to pay Man City to spend at our current level, yet it doesn’t affect them.

So what changes if we manage to get top 6 this year? 

We don't get invited to the ESL. We don't get ridiculous levels of income. 

It's always going to be hard to do it but the idea this season is the last time we will be able to do it is way OTT.

• Like 2

I get the feeling the club believe Carney is the future midfield heart of our club, but they also know he's not quite there yet, physically, for the rigors of week in/week out Prem football.

As such, I don't think they see buying a central midfielder as a priority this season and may look toward high profile loans, similar to Barkley (but good) for the next season or two until Carney is ready and we can move the less capable senior players on.

If we do sign a central midfielder, I can see Carney getting a loan. We have such a strong youth system now it's going to need a measured strategy to reap the rewards of it.

We're operating responsibly/professionally and, taking the last decade into account, that's more than good enough for me.

• Like 1