Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Thug said:

You misunderstand me.

They did.

But WHEN?  Before or after we identified our targets?

Well I have a hard time believing the targets we identified were done after Grealish was set to leave. I'm also going off what I read in Gregg Evans article which said the two teams had starting talking back in early July. Buendia was signed in early June so at the very least, Buendia is someone you can't say is a definitive replacement signing.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Not really. 5 (or was it 6?) of his goals were pens (we have Ings now). The rest were decent enough but also no assists which highlights the real problem. 

AEG, for me, is good at running head down and straight before losing the ball. I think he’s an incredible limited player, lacks grit and determination and offers little to the team as a whole. 

Either get rid this summer at his max value or give him a new contract. Those are the only sensible options and I’d chose the first. 

I mean numbers of players for each position. After Grealish our wing options are actually quite slim

54 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Baileys step father has said that his son's prefered position is on the right wing..and if you have a look of the heat maps for bailey whilst playing for leverkusen they bear this out.

True, but in the same interview, before that, he specifically said ( while of course plugging/promoting his Academy ) " Leon, like all players at the Phoenix academy, are trained to play in all 3 points of attack, Left, Right, Centre ).

42 minutes ago, Thug said:

You really believe this?

Everyone was giving Jim White a really hard time about saying the Grealish deal was done ages ago.

But let’s face it.  It probably was.

Which makes me wonder; was our boy Jack actually out for so long because his legs were not well enough or was there a bit of self-preservation going on? 🤔

Back on topic, I think that Purslow said it out loud that Buendia, Bailey and Ings were the ingredients that were needed because of losing Grealish. 

I think we will buy a DM and that's it. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Which makes me wonder; was our boy Jack actually out for so long because his legs were not well enough or was there a bit of self-preservation going on? 🤔

Back on topic, I think that Purslow said it out loud that Buendia, Bailey and Ings were the ingredients that were needed because of losing Grealish. 

I think we will buy a DM and that's it. 

We still have a LW hole.  We can argue about Buendia, Bailey, Ollie out there but if we don’t play a Liverpool 433 with three forwards, our LW is lacking quality.  Yes, they can but doesn’t seem like a natural fit.  Therefore we have a choice of AEG or Young.  Maybe they will plug in one of the above three but I’m not convinced.

I don't agree that we have a LW issue.  AEG is the backup LW.   I'm assuming most are in agreement here.

Bailey has actually played more matches at LW than RW...regardless of what his father said.  He's a LW who can play RW also (granted he did have a great season last year playing alot of RW).  Buendia can obviously play there too, but imo he will be used centrally or on RW.  Even Watkins can play LW (where he started before being converted to ST) if DS puts Ings at ST.  Villa only need 1 of these 3 players ahead of AEG.  Personally I'm not concerned.  Imo the front 3 will be fluid and switching sides throughout the match, drifting, etc.  So the side they start on is little matter.  I just want our best players on the pitch.

When everyone is fit and healthy...  I expect to see Bailey, Watkins, Ings, and Buendia all on the pitch together against most sides DS thinks we can beat.  It will be interesting to see how DS lines up the team to get them all on the pitch.

Just now, ejs1111 said:

I don't agree that we have a LW issue.  AEG is the backup LW.   I'm assuming most are in agreement here.

Bailey has actually played more matches at LW than RW...regardless of what his father said.  He's a LW who can play RW also (granted he did have a great season last year playing alot of RW).  Buendia can obviously play there too, but imo he will be used centrally or on RW.  Even Watkins can play LW (where he started before being converted to ST) if DS puts Ings at ST.  Villa only need 1 of these 3 players ahead of AEG.  Personally I'm not concerned.  Imo the front 3 will be fluid and switching sides throughout the match, drifting, etc.  So the side they start on is little matter.  I just want our best players on the pitch.

When everyone is fit and healthy...  I expect to see Bailey, Watkins, Ings, and Buendia all on the pitch together against most sides DS thinks we can beat.  It will be interesting to see how DS lines up the team to get them all on the pitch.

Bailey also said his best position is on the right

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/leon-bailey-best-position-on-the-right-happy-under-peter-bosz-leverkusen-2924-1522

• Like 1

Word is Radja Nainggolan has terminated his contract with Inter Milan. Should we be in for him? Used to be a top top midfielder. Still is to me anyway. Could be our Cambiasso. Calling agent Young…

9 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

And Grealish constantly said his best position was in midfield, but he still hardly ever played there and managed just fine on the left wing.

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

I remember him starting like a house on fire. Did he tail off after that? genuine question

The Swansea fans didn’t want him in their team.  They said he contributed very little apart from a screamer here and there.

• Like 1