Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

4 of his goals were penalties. Still, 6 goals in open play in the amount of minutes he had last season is still a great return. Better than any of our players last season.

I think the assist problem is overstated. In the past, he's had as much assists as he had goals so its not something that's always been a problem with him. Plus, his expected assists/90, key passes/90 and shot creation numbers aren't bad. Not good, but it does indicate his 0 assists is more bad luck than him not contributing in that aspect.

As a comparison, Bertrand Traore had 6 assists last season but had almost identical expected assists/90, key passes/90 and shot creation numbers per 90. Sometimes you provide the chances and people just don't score them. Sometimes you provide almost no chances but people keep scoring the few you do. That's football sometimes.

Fair enough mate, all just opinions anyway. If I have to watch AEG at Watford repeatedly running into 3 defenders and losing the ball every time… well. I’ll kick next door’s cat. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the fact that he was Out on loan for the season, with a less well equipped squad, sums it up to be honest.

Also, he had a modest season at Swansea overall, what would have suddenly changed Smiths opinion?

Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't see it personally.

you said that sanson, chuk, and ramsey were ahead of conor. chukwemeka definitely not, and not 100% sure ramsey would be ahead of him either, based on what little impact he made last season (IMO). i think we'd probably let ramsey go out on loan and keep conor for emergencies

a fully fit sanson i'd agree is ahead of conor but he seems like he's miles away from being ready to play considering he's yet to set foot on the grass at BMH this summer (happy to be corrected wrong there) which is why i don't expect conor to go anywhere unless we buy a new CM

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

Or they want time to replace him as we did with Greedlish.   It wouldn't surprise me if we are being patient as they helped us by not leaking the Ings transfer

Yes, going quiet could be a sign of activity behind the scenes (please because sign of activity behind the scenes). 

it's frustrating for us because we like to have some rumourings to discuss but the ings deal, and to a similar extent the wesley deal 2 years back have shown, we do like to keep the information in house

i have no doubt that lange is on the phone this second about possible transfer targets, as he would have been most of yesterday and will be most of tomorrow

we're just not in a rush to buy now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Why would we sell El Ghazi. Just from a numbers perspective that's madness

2 years left on his contract, time to sell or extend on what I would assume would be improved terms.  I’d also imagine he’d want some assurances about game time too.

I think it’s fair to assume, given the boards expected trajectory for the club, that a move is more likely than not.

According to chelsea sources the club wanted a sale for tammy and not a loan and they strongly prefer if player is sold out side of the premier league.

The Aeg situation for me is a bit of a gamble..a premier league player with 10 goals last season...that means his stock is at the highest and if he was to be sold it would be for the maximum worth of the player..do we really want him on the bench for the season  or do we cash in?

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Absolutely. 

I think the club knows this though, especially as Buendia was brought in to play with Grealish. Ings and Bailey alone are not enough to replace Jack. They need another baller out on the left or through the middle depending where Bailey and Buendia play. 

Buendia was brought in to replace Grealish.

The management had known Grealish was leaving for a long time, and in hindsight our transfer targets made that pretty obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zak said:

Great, well i am a "certain level" whats that got to do with being a good enough CM for villa.

In your original post you put up some parameters to infer certain players where good enough to play for Villa. However if a player is an International or a Champions league player, or has played in games against very talented players that does not automatically deem them good enough to play for Villa. 

See your problem is your reading my post without taking into account the context of the post I was responding to.

By the way, no I wasn’t inferring anything. My point was the original poster said those players weren’t good enough, I was using the context of the levels they had played at as one point of reference amongst many others as to why they aren’t average players, this comment wasn’t a general parameter for all players but one specific to these individuals.

You obviously agree with the original poster that McGinn, Sanson and Luiz aren’t good enough for To be in a Villa shirt.

Rather than making assumptions, explain to me why those players aren’t good enough.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

Buendia was brought in to replace Grealish.

The management had known Grealish was leaving for a long time, and in hindsight our transfer targets made that pretty obvious.

They primarily play on opposite sides of the front line, so I don't really see that.

He can play as CAM, and primarily RW by reports.

If anything, Bailey would be closer to " replacing Grealish " as he is equally adept on either wing.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They primarily play on opposite sides of the front line, so I don't really see that.

He can play as CAM, and primarily RW by reports.

If anything, Bailey would be closer to " replacing Grealish " as he is equally adept on either wing.

As the creative force, playmaker if you wish.

There’s no written rule that our creativity MUST come from the left wing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I dont think this is true, he was brought in to play with Grealish

Obviously we’ll never know for sure, but my instincts, and then Purslow’s comments suggested to me otherwise.

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, it’s just what I think.  Going for Buendia and then all these attacking links pretty much said Grealish is leaving from the minute the season ended.

The way we went after Buendia, blowing Arsenal out the water so early, speaks volumes.  He was an absolute priority BECAUSE Jack was leaving.  
Jack said himself that it was a hard few months.

I think the reason it dragged on so much was because we asked the move not to be completed until we had all our ducks lined up.

Everything we have done since the season finished was to replace him.  It’s so damn obvious in hindsight.

Edited by Thug
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

still think it is absolutely ridiculous that the transfer window shuts after the start of the season. it is so so disruptive. The first few games of the season are really hard to prepare for that its a nonsense.

Teams have all summer to do business. just shut the window the week before the first game 

(I know someone is going to explain to me the entirely reasonable and practical explanation for why this is but I stand by my rant regardless)

While i generally agree with what your saying..things like the Euros and World cup will always provide a big barrier to signings and access to players etc when they happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

one of the many things we as a general fanbase got very defensive about at the time

"villa spending the grealish money already then"......."NO WE'RE NOT!"

"villa buying a lot of attacking players i see...grealish replacements?"..."NO THEY'RE NOT!"

we were wrong on both counts

Buendia and Bailey were signed before Lange and Purslow had the conversation trying to keep Jack. They were being signed to play with him, they’re just also a good replacement. Ings was the signing we wouldn’t have made.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I dont think this is true, he was brought in to play with Grealish

I agree.

There was a Barkley sized hole in our squad that needed filling with, well, someone better than Barkley. I think Buendia was bought to fill that hole.

Bailey and Ings? More likely in to cover the loss of Jack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

one of the many things we as a general fanbase got very defensive about at the time

"villa spending the grealish money already then"......."NO WE'RE NOT!"

"villa buying a lot of attacking players i see...grealish replacements?"..."NO THEY'RE NOT!"

we were wrong on both counts

My Feelings Are Hurt GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1