Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, avfcDJ said:

Probably not, but (understandably) there is interest.

I agree but I think Smith likes him because he gets good time so I dont think this season he will let him go especially at the moment when Bailey isnt even at the training ground yet, Buendia has a knock and Trez is out.  It would seem unlikely that AEG would be leaving.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Why would we sell El Ghazi. Just from a numbers perspective that's madness

I agree - he's also our secondary source of goals and penalty taker supreme. I'm not saying I would sell him - but I just think we will.

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Not really. 5 (or was it 6?) of his goals were pens (we have Ings now). The rest were decent enough but also no assists which highlights the real problem. 

AEG, for me, is good at running head down and straight before losing the ball. I think he’s an incredible limited player, lacks grit and determination and offers little to the team as a whole. 

Either get rid this summer at his max value or give him a new contract. Those are the only sensible options and I’d chose the first. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Ramsey, 

Take your pick, I think they are ALL in the pecking order ahead of Connor right now.

we actually don't know that because conor has been out on loan last season. we don't know if or how smith's opinion of him has changed

irrespective of whether you're right about sanson being ahead, he's not in contention for saturday anyway

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Not really. 5 (or was it 6?) of his goals were pens (we have Ings now). The rest were decent enough but also no assists which highlights the real problem. 

AEG, for me, is good at running head down and straight before losing the ball. I think he’s an incredible limited player, lacks grit and determination and offers little to the team as a whole. 

Either get rid this summer at his max value or give him a new contract. Those are the only sensible options and I’d chose the first. 

Agreed - biggest problem for us is that this summer is probably when his value would theoretically be highest. However he definitely suits a European move more than another PL one. And it doesnt seem like many European teams have any money to spend. 

I reckon he'll stay. Just hope we make another attacking buy so he doesnt see much action. When thinking about replacing the whole Jack leaves he's kind of like the anti Jack. 

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Long pass completion %: - we don't play that way - as shown by luiz's 200 fewer attempted long passes so not concerned about that. that's the only stat where there's a noticeable difference

why would you exclude certain shot creating actions when it's a key part of his game? it's like a striker with a clinical long shot but excluding his shots on target from outside the area!

he's not just 'good' at set pieces...he's one of the best in the world. dunno about you, but i've stopped cheering and clapping when we get a corner or dangerous free kick now...it's been pointless getting excited about for a while now. i'd personally like that to change.

the fact that he's comparatively as good and in most cases better statistically than what we have at the other aspects of his game, he's an absolute no brainer.

it's all probably moot anyway because there's no way they'll sell now

The reason the differentiation between live SCA and dead ball SCA is important, is because we have Bailey and Young now. They’re not JWP level but they’re not far off either - so I don’t see the point in getting another midfielder who is statistically similar to what we currently have just for set pieces. Especially for anything over £30 million.

There’s enough complaints on here as it stands that our mids are too one dimensional - JWP is a good player but he’s more of the same (set pieces aside).

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

we actually don't know that because conor has been out on loan last season. we don't know if or how smith's opinion of him has changed

irrespective of whether you're right about sanson being ahead, he's not in contention for saturday anyway

I think the fact that he was Out on loan for the season, with a less well equipped squad, sums it up to be honest.

Also, he had a modest season at Swansea overall, what would have suddenly changed Smiths opinion?

Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't see it personally.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, Awol said:

4 of his goals were penalties. Still, 6 goals in open play in the amount of minutes he had last season is still a great return. Better goal rate than any of our players last season.(Edit: actually slightly lower than Ollie)

I think the assist problem is overstated. In the past, he's had as much assists as he had goals so its not something that's always been a problem with him. Plus, his expected assists/90, key passes/90 and shot creation actions aren't bad. Not good, but it does indicate his 0 assists is more bad luck than him not contributing in that aspect.

As a comparison, Bertrand Traore had 6 assists last season but had almost identical expected assists/90, key passes/90 and shot creation actions per 90. Sometimes you provide the chances and people just don't score them. Sometimes you provide almost no chances but people keep scoring the few you do. That's football sometimes.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the fact that he was Out on loan for the season, with a less well equipped squad, sums it up to be honest.

Also, he had a modest season at Swansea overall, what would have suddenly changed Smiths opinion?

Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't see it personally.

I remember him starting like a house on fire. Did he tail off after that? genuine question

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

He’s the only player we could afford to lose and make some money on.

Trez could have been a choice but we can’t sell him now. 
Nakamba is important at the moment if we haven’t got a DM. 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

JWP rumours have gone quiet...something tells me southampton asked for something silly like 70m

Or they want time to replace him as we did with Greedlish.   It wouldn't surprise me if we are being patient as they helped us by not leaking the Ings transfer

• Like 2