Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yes, he also said the same thing in his first interview with Villa. That he prefers to play or the right, but can also play on the left (or something similar to that)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Surely Agent Young can tap up a couple of Inter players?  Barella??

This post got me thinking: is 'tapping up' still a thing? Like Grealish clearly had his head turned while on int'l duty; Buendia may have been talking to Martinez, etc. Worse, we know that agents are hearing from clubs with juicy salary offers. 

To be classed as an unsanctioned approach, does it have to be a straight-up offer made to the player by someone representing the club? Lie how a bribe must consist of a concrete offer, rather than idle chit chat? Or doe sa play have to be given some money before the move to 'entice' them into forcing a transfer?

23 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

And Grealish constantly said his best position was in midfield, but he still hardly ever played there and managed just fine on the left wing.

Yes I know what Grealish said.

Here, just read these articles on him.

https://theathletic.com/2717225/2021/07/31/leon-bailey-how-the-direct-ball-carrier-and-versatile-forward-will-fit-into-villas-team/

Leon Bailey: How the direct ball-carrier and versatile forward will fit into Villa’s team

It analyzes his season last year. Which saw him predominantly featured on the right.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/the-resurgence-of-leon-bailey-at-bayer-leverkusen/

The Resurgence of Leon Bailey at Bayer Leverkusen

Also about last season, talking about his "return to form" once he started playing on the right.

Ultimately though, he can play both sides and will hopefully be exciting regardless of which side he's on.

Edit: To add for @Thug From the Athletic article 

"It should again be made clear that this chase for Bailey was initially started with an eye on adding to a team with Grealish in it but Manchester City have since moved to take him away from Villa." 

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

His stats are pretty weird considering that - fairly poor defensive numbers considering the above, and those passing numbers are shocking.

I’m assuming the assists are from dead balls?

A7BCE521-95A4-49ED-9903-FE5E02889A8A.thumb.jpeg.ff9fa858580f862a964147e70a852a84.jpeg

He plays a bit like a play maker..... hence the passing stats from deep

26 minutes ago, Awol said:

It was all really simple until we signed Ings:   

Bailey——Ollie——Buendia

Done. 

But we haven’t dropped £30m on Ings for the bench, he doesn’t operate as a lone striker and Watkins won’t be dropped anyway, so for me Buendia moves to AM behind a 3 of Ollie — Ings— Bailey.

Attacking AF so having lots of CMs to rotate is a good thing - they’ll be working hard!! 

Ings drops deep a lot, he may play behind Ollie

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

For @TheMelvillan

https://planetswans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4642&p=67704&hilit=Hourihane#p67704

They we’re very disappointed in him, and not surprisingly, for exactly the same reasons as we get frustrated.  

Missing in most games, not getting stuck in etc.

Ouch. Celtic, probably. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This post got me thinking: is 'tapping up' still a thing? Like Grealish clearly had his head turned while on int'l duty; Buendia may have been talking to Martinez, etc. Worse, we know that agents are hearing from clubs with juicy salary offers. 

To be classed as an unsanctioned approach, does it have to be a straight-up offer made to the player by someone representing the club? Lie how a bribe must consist of a concrete offer, rather than idle chit chat? Or doe sa play have to be given some money before the move to 'entice' them into forcing a transfer?

I thought putting the feelers out was the norm - presenting a whole package to someone would break the rules as an illegal approach. but a simple "Villa might be interested - how do you feel about that" would I think be the opening gambit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Without any doubt agents and players get in the ear of other players. Barkley said that Grealish had been talking to him regularly about us before he joined last summer.

Grealish in the England camp would have had Stones, Foden and Walker in his ear. Probably Chilwell (his mate) telling him to move to a Champions League club. It happens sadly. 

To be fair, we as a club and players no doubt do it but on a lesser scale. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

For @TheMelvillan

https://planetswans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4642&p=67704&hilit=Hourihane#p67704

They we’re very disappointed in him, and not surprisingly, for exactly the same reasons as we get frustrated.  

Missing in most games, not getting stuck in etc.

Yes Mr Thug but.....

He has a wand of left foot.....

:trollface:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only reason people didn’t speak about signing Ings over Tammy is the former didn’t seem realistic. Tammy on the other hand did.  What does that tell you?

I honestly though Ings was going to Spurs.

Edit: what the **** is an Ings thong? 🤣 

I'd say to everyone ask there missus, if you see Ings it's most likely one.

It's a good idea footballer thongs for females, it'd put every man off going down below, peace and quiet. Villa shop it's an opportunity 🤣

42 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Is it not just the same as me down the pub with a mate that I studied with in college and he says to me "Why don't you come work for the company I'm with? They're really good to work for...". Also I'll often get calls or emails from agencies asking me would I like to work for contractor X on project Y. I mean there's a whole industry dedicated to recruitment for different sectors. Why should football be any different?

The problem has been without Connor our set pieces have been distinctly whiffy, I don't get why none of our team seems capable of putting in a decent corner or free kick.

Even our 100 million Billy Big B*llocks export was useless at set pieces and penalties.

We obviously now have a coach to try and address this and i'm hoping Buendia, Young and Bailey can excel from set pieces.

But as lightweight (and often MIA) as Connor was, he could score and assist some decent goals, but I don't think he has a future with us anymore.

I just don't subscribe to this weird theory that our wingers/attackers should double up as defensive wing backs and are crap and lazy if they can't put a good tackle in. If we have players that do their main role well we don't need other players to cover for them, not saying we shouldn't defend and attack as a team, but our 'no one knows who is doing what' central midfield needs to change.

Edited by VillanousOne

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is it not just the same as me down the pub with a mate that I studied with in college and he says to me "Why don't you come work for the company I'm with? They're really good to work for...". Also I'll often get calls or emails from agencies asking me would I like to work for contractor X on project Y. I mean there's a whole industry dedicated to recruitment for different sectors. Why should football be any different?

Good point: I think I'm probably putting the rules that govern football on a pedestal tbh.

We use the phrase tapping up, but it's actually remarkably difficult to do. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Without any doubt agents and players get in the ear of other players. Barkley said that Grealish had been talking to him regularly about us before he joined last summer.

Grealish in the England camp would have had Stones, Foden and Walker in his ear. Probably Chilwell (his mate) telling him to move to a Champions League club. It happens sadly. 

To be fair, we as a club and players no doubt do it but on a lesser scale. 

Didn’t Terry even say something that suggested he should push for CL football?

On 07/08/2021 at 10:25, Thug said:

Why, how fast did you use to do the 80 miles between Birmingham and Manchester? 

Fastest I did was 1 hour 5 minutes from memory, house to house.  There's more speed cameras now but there's also the M6 Toll which couldn't be much closer to Bodymoor Heath.  If Axel lives in Cheshire like a fair few footballers, the commute might be quite acceptable for him.  Fours hours in a car daily sounded high to me but, whatever it is, he must feel comfortable with the situation.  I didn't disagree with the general gist of your original post though, it does seem a slightly surprising move to move to be a back-up.