Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I dont think this is true, he was brought in to play with Grealish

grealish literally has said himself that he found it weird that he had to report back for training when he knew he was off and just did a few bits and pieces on his own

purslow et al knew for a long time that grealish was off. he told us himself buendia was one of the players bought in to replace him. we released snippets to the press about how we're bringing these players in to play with him because it kept cost down. had norwich known we were indeed spending the grealish money already they'd have got another few million out of us

the club played the whole thing well IMO, but you're kidding yourself if you think buendia was bought in to play alongside him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

grealish literally has said himself that he found it weird that he had to report back for training when he knew he was off and just did a few bits and pieces on his own

purslow et al knew for a long time that grealish was off. he told us himself buendia was one of the players bought in to replace him. we released snippets to the press about how we're bringing these players in to play with him because it kept cost down. had norwich known we were indeed spending the grealish money already they'd have got another few million out of us

the club played the whole thing well IMO, but you're kidding yourself if you think buendia was bought in to play alongside him

Here's the thing I don't get. Clearly the club still wanted to try and retain him and were willing to offer him a massive contract to do so. What happens if Grealish stayed? Wouldn't we be **** by FFP if that was the case seeing as we'd be 100m short where we are now but with a larger wage bill and 70m already spent?

53 minutes ago, Thug said:

As the creative force, playmaker if you wish.

There’s no written rule that our creativity MUST come from the left wing.

I definitely agree there mate.

But as noted, Neither Buendia Or Baileys best positions are primarily Left Wing, Jacks old position.

So this would imply that we are fine with Anwar being our first choice LW ( Jack replacement )

Which I don't believe for a second.

I'm not just referring to the creative output, I'm referring to the actual pitch positioning.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

18 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

According to chelsea sources the club wanted a sale for tammy and not a loan and they strongly prefer if player is sold out side of the premier league.

The Aeg situation for me is a bit of a gamble..a premier league player with 10 goals last season...that means his stock is at the highest and if he was to be sold it would be for the maximum worth of the player..do we really want him on the bench for the season  or do we cash in?

I certainly would want more than the rumoured £15m

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Buendia and Bailey were signed before Lange and Purslow had the conversation trying to keep Jack. They were being signed to play with him, they’re just also a good replacement. Ings was the signing we wouldn’t have made.

You really believe this?

Everyone was giving Jim White a really hard time about saying the Grealish deal was done ages ago.

But let’s face it.  It probably was.

• Like 2

Just now, Thug said:

You really believe this?

Everyone was giving Jim White a really hard time about saying the Grealish deal was done ages ago.

But let’s face it.  It probably was.

It was to Grealish and Man City.

You really believe we just weren’t going to buy anyone if Jack didn’t go?

• Like 2

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Here's the thing I don't get. Clearly the club still wanted to try and retain him and were willing to offer him a massive contract to do so. What happens if Grealish stayed? Wouldn't we be **** by FFP if that was the case seeing as we'd be 100m short where we are now but with a larger wage bill and 70m already spent?

it would have come out of next year's FFP presumably so next summer would've been very quiet, assuming jack didn't leave next summer

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think if Grealish stayed - the hope would be that with additions we would get europe or CL - Thus our revenue would go up considerably.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I definitely agree there mate.

But as noted, Neither Buendia Or Baileys best positions are primarily Left Wing, Jacks old position.

So this would imply that we are fine with Anwar being our first choice LW ( Jack replacement )

Which I don't believe for a second.

I'm not just referring to the creative output, I'm referring to the actual pitch positioning.

No you’re right in that case.

Whereas I’m referring to the creative output rather than the pitch position.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It was to Grealish and Man City.

You really believe we just weren’t going to buy anyone if Jack didn’t go?

Anyone?

Of course we were going to buy someone’s

But you focus your priorities on your greatest needs.

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We offered him a new contract, that’s for sure.

what purslow didn’t tell us was when

The decision was made a long time ago

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

The day the bid came in Purslow told Grealishs team he would accept it. That's why Grealish said it was weird to be at practice. Not because they had planned all summer long to let him go. They wouldn't have spent so much time and effort in those last days trying to convince him to stay if they knew earlier he was going.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thug said:

Obviously we’ll never know for sure, but my instincts, and then Purslow’s comments suggested to me otherwise.

But as many said at the time, we think he said that so when we do go after other players people dont think we have 100m to spend.

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

The way we went after Buendia, blowing Arsenal out the water so early, speaks volumes.  He was an absolute priority BECAUSE Jack was leaving.

I dont think that, I think it's because we wanted to go to the next step.  We knew we were unbalanced with everything going through Jack and also when Jack was injured we had no creativity and thus with wanting to advanced further up the league along with Barkley leaving we needed somebody like Buendia, so I dont think he was brought because of Jack leaving, he was brought because we needed another of that type of player plus he plays primarily on the right whereas Jack plays on the left.

13 minutes ago, Thug said:

verything we have done since the season finished was to replace him.  It’s so damn obvious in hindsight.

No.  It's fits a narrative of that but also fits a narrative that we were continuing to invest in the squad to aim this season for Europe, whereas mid table was last seasons priority.  We could see the holes we had in the squad and went out to fix those holes, adding more creativity in Buendia and balance on the right side of the pitch.  More pace in the advancing areas of Bailey and also that unpredictability.  Adding some experience and versatility in Young. 

Ings is the debatable one because I, like many other, thought we needed another striker and would bring one in because Davis was out of favour and Wes, whose knows if he would come back after his injury. His timing suggests it may be more to do with a bit of opportunity to get him, maybe something to do with Grealish but also maybe we werent seeing what we wanted to see from Wes.

I think we would've done that business likely anyway because needed to, to advance towards European places.

• Like 2

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

The day the bid came in Purslow told Grealishs team he would accept it. That's why Grealish said it was weird to be at practice. Not because they had planned all summer long to let him go. They wouldn't have spent so much time and effort in those last days trying to convince him to stay if they knew earlier that he was going.

Who said that’s what they were doing?

Most likely they were trying to get our deals over the line and just wanted him to play along 

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Who said that’s what they were doing?

Most likely they were trying to get our deals over the line and just wanted him to play along 

Everyone who had intimate knowledge of the situation said they were throwing the kitchen sink at him to stay.

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Purslow seemed to suggest otherwise.  Not that it really matters.

Sure but that's what he would say so we dont get fleeced for future signings.  If you are known to have a lot of money then the seller is likely less to budget but playing "I've already spent that money" card might mean you wont get fleeced, standard business dealing.  So he maybe white lying or being honest.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Everyone who had intimate knowledge of the situation said they were throwing the kitchen sink at him to stay.

You misunderstand me.

They did.

But WHEN?  Before or after we identified our targets?

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

then I'm kidding myself arent I. 

In my opinion you are wrong but we'll never really know!

Not that it really matters.

• Like 1