Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

I think both full backs have been fine, Mings has been excellent and Konsa good, Luiz good, McGinn largely anonymous, Grealish sound, Traore good and bad, Watkins excellent and Barkley being played out of position. We're lucky to be ahead, but I don't think we need to change much to put ourselves in a very good position.

We need to get some sort of control of the game, we're completely outnumbered in the middle of the park , I'd take Barkley off, bring Sanson on and sit a bit deeper - we can do these on the break. We desperately need to find a way to get someone in front of Romelu - he's got forever in the middle of the park to start things off.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaAlex said:

Feels strange to say as we are winning but that was our worst first half of the season for me. We've been way off it, Southampton have been swarming us, they also seem to have the better of us, I hate playing them. McGinn and Barkley have been poor, although great goal. The two fullbacks have also been way off it, Targett has been constantly excellent but his poorest game in a long time today.

We need to improve if we want to win.

On a positive note Watkins gas been excellent again, seems to have regained his confidence.

Second worst first half of the season.  The other one happened to be against Southampton too

when that ball went in to Watkins, is was almost identical to the one Grealish scored last year against.....Burnley?, i was just saying...."one touch and shooooot", but he dallied too long.

Southampton's movement has been brilliant but the longer the half went on Jack won the battle against Ward-Prowse and things switched round.  Not sure anyone other than Mike Dean would have made the call that it hit Cash's knee before his arm on that evidence, it was just one angle from behind.  I reckon Mason would have given it if asked to look at the monitor.

What a well coached side Southampton are, those in the media who back Bruce really should look at the difference in the sides because of their coach.

Anyway, we've had knob all of the ball because of the above but when we do they are terrified of Jack and rightly so it proved.

Defence has been solid despite pressure, it wasn't a handball but was surprised it wasn't given.

I've seen people chipping at Barkley since his return, if you can't see he is a quality player finding his sharpness again then there is no hope for you.

Traore showing glimpses of his quality, we need to get him in the game more.

Watkins brilliant in so many ways but dare I say his finishing  needs to improve.

As for Jack, he is the best player in the Premier League. I won't be told different by anyone.

Huge 45 mins this, absolutely huge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

The big difference between Villa and Southampton?

Villa player receives the ball and instantly gets challenged by 1 or 2 players.

Southampton player receives the ball turns, turns again, looks around a bit, turns again, passes it, then a Villa player arrives.

We are so slow to press and are generally nowhere near the opposition.  This is basic training ground stuff lads.  Pathetic. 

No idea how we are ahead...

because when we have space going forward we're still a very dangerous team on the attack.

I do agree though that we're not very good at pressing which is why we seem to have issues defending at teams that press really hard like Soton, Liverpool and Leeds.

Real smash and grab first half.

Wakins needs to hold onto the ball better as everything was bouncing off him constantly giving back possession.

Positives were the goal and the defending which were very good but Southampton must be head scratching how they finished the first half 1 down.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Barkley is definitely playing in a second striker position - it's allowing Southampton far too much of the game and we're losing midfield. 

It's a cracking goal, but I'd still be looking to change things.

I agree. There's no way Smith will take him off yet though, so I really hope he drops him deeper now and let's get a grip of this midfield and look to counter. For all their possession Emi hasn't had a save to make. 

Complete opposite to Burnley first half.  We couldn’t handle Southampton this half yet they didn’t register a shot on target and we have scored....football is crazy.  We could’ve even come in 2-0.

Now we need to play second half and exploit Southampton’s confidence of their recent run.  

Based on that first half, getting 3 points is going to be really hard.

Cash really needs to sort out the movement of his arms.

1-0 nicked first half...let’s hope we can finish it off and get a much needed 3 points.  Southampton look very good.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

The big difference between Villa and Southampton?

Villa player receives the ball and instantly gets challenged by 1 or 2 players.

Southampton player receives the ball turns, turns again, looks around a bit, turns again, passes it, then a Villa player arrives.

We are so slow to press and are generally nowhere near the opposition.  This is basic training ground stuff lads.  Pathetic. 

No idea how we are ahead...

Maybe but we could have scored a few more as well and Martinez hasnt had a shot to save. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think both full backs have been fine, Mings has been excellent and Konsa good, Luiz good, McGinn largely anonymous, Grealish sound, Traore good and bad, Watkins excellent and Barkley being played out of position. We're lucky to be ahead, but I don't think we need to change much to put ourselves in a very good position.

We need to get some sort of control of the game, we're completely outnumbered in the middle of the park , I'd take Barkley off, bring Sanson on and sit a bit deeper - we can do these on the break. We desperately need to find a way to get someone in front of Romelu - he's got forever in the middle of the park to start things off.

Fair report of what I have seen too