Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

17 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

From what I read today, sounds like 18 million euros is what they want...we offered 13m + 3m bonuses. Also some talk that they want him to play against Monaco (with other players out).

https://www.footmercato.net/a6592936991546869877-om-ce-qui-coince-pour-morgan-sanson

Link on twitter said we offered 7m + 2m bonuses 😬

We can't be taking the piss that much, surely?

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Totally correct. This is the key point in any transfer. A player is always worth what the selling club say he is. I find it hilarious when people don't get this. If we think it's an acceptable price then great, let's get him in. If not, then we'll look elsewhere. Our people know what they're doing.

Well....no. Not really.

If you want to sell your car, you list it at a certain price. That price is rarely what you are going to get - it's just the starting point for negotiations. You will have your price and you won't settle for less - but that price and the advertised price are usually 2 completely different things.

Transfers are similar.

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Well....no. Not really.

If you want to sell your car, you list it at a certain price. That price is rarely what you are going to get - it's just the starting point for negotiations. You will have your price and you won't settle for less - but that price and the advertised price are usually 2 completely different things.

Transfers are similar.

Exactly, the selling club has their price and they won't settle for less. The price they want is completely their prerogative and up to a buying club to match it.

There is no advertised price in transfers unless a player is transfer listed. Why would we advertise a price for Grealish? Same goes for Marseille with Sanson.

24 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Exactly, the selling club has their price and they won't settle for less. The price they want is completely their prerogative and up to a buying club to match it.

There is no advertised price in transfers unless a player is transfer listed. Why would we advertise a price for Grealish? Same goes for Marseille with Sanson.

They want/need to sell. The player allegedly wants to come.

So the question is: Is their real price the 20mill euros they are reported as asking for?

To answer that, you low-ball and see how negotiations go. That's what we are doing.

We're an odd one on transfers. We spent quite a bit over the odds on Watkins in my opinion (£20m max was what we should have paid) but on a player with CL experience who's played in the French top flight since the age of 18/19 regularly we won't pay €18m which to me is a perfectly reasonable price. 

We did the same with Rashica in the summer over wages, though he would have been on the same wages as Watkins which I think is perfectly fair given how good he'd been for 2 seasons in the Bundesliga.

I understand how negotiations work but that is a really derisory offer. Maybe if we went in at say €12-15m first I could maybe understand, but what we offered is far too low and I agree with AVB that it is pathetic. 

Go back and offer more than twice that and get him in, we need more depth.

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

They want/need to sell. The player allegedly wants to come.

So the question is: Is their real price the 20mill euros they are reported as asking for?

To answer that, you low-ball and see how negotiations go. That's what we are doing.

I never listen to any reported fees as I don't see how any journalist would have any inside info on that. They will have a price that they deem acceptable so it is up to us to match it. The same goes for any other player at any other club.

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We're an odd one on transfers. We spent quite a bit over the odds on Watkins in my opinion (£20m max was what we should have paid) but on a player with CL experience who's played in the French top flight since the age of 18/19 regularly we won't pay €18m which to me is a perfectly reasonable price. 

We did the same with Rashica in the summer over wages, though he would have been on the same wages as Watkins which I think is perfectly fair given how good he'd been for 2 seasons in the Bundesliga.

I understand how negotiations work but that is a really derisory offer. Maybe if we went in at say €12-15m first I could maybe understand, but what we offered is far too low and I agree with AVB that it is pathetic. 

Go back and offer more than twice that and get him in, we need more depth.

I think the difference is Watkins was identified as number 1 main striker. You do what it takes to bring that guy in. 

AVB hasnt a clue about the price or the transfer. He is Head coach not manager, he wouldn't have much say. He is probably more angry Sanson is leaving as he isnt one of the players they want out of the club

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

???

Not sure where the whole wage demand thing came from on that one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

???

Not sure where the whole wage demand thing came from on that one.

Rashica apparently wanted £75K per week and we thought it was too high, but had put Ollie on a similar financial package. IIRC we met Rashica’s release clause so it was all about negotiating personal terms.

Again no one knows exactly what went on but I did hear this from Ashley Preece (Birmingham Mail) who also said Barkley was available for yesterday’s game so I’d imagine it’s not far from the truth.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think the difference is Watkins was identified as number 1 main striker. You do what it takes to bring that guy in. 

Yes it was a key position to fill but I was quite shocked when I realised what we’d paid to Brentford.

I’m still hopeful we can get this one over the line, but it does sound like Marseille are insulted by the offer which is a concern.

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Rashica apparently wanted £75K per week and we thought it was too high, but had put Ollie on a similar financial package. IIRC we met Rashica’s release clause so it was all about negotiating personal terms.

Again no one knows exactly what went on but I did hear this from Ashley Preece (Birmingham Mail) who also said Barkley was available for yesterday’s game so I’d imagine it’s not far from the truth.

We didn't get anywhere near Rashica's release clause. The clause was £35m. Bremen were prepared to accept something more like £22m - £25m but played hard ball for some reason. Rashica's wages were never the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hong0311 said:

Probably shouldn’t rush him into a game. Generally not a good idea. 

Don’t think he would’ve started him anyway, we’ll either play Ramsey or drop Jack into midfield and play El Ghazi given that Newcastle, under Bruce, are very defensive so won’t create many chances and we’ll need to break them down.  

Given its Newcastle I think I would, against what I usually believe, drop Jack into midfield to give us more creative options with El Ghazi on the pitch along with Traore, Jack and Ross.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Watkins is worth good money for a lot of reasons:

• Homegrown
  • Young (24 when he signed)
  • Plays striker - usually the most expensive position
  • Incredible fitness record - will start most games
  • Massive improvement to the squad since we were desperate for a striker

I don't think we paid over the odds.

When we're signing players for positions where we already have decent starters, we can afford to be tougher in the negotiation I think, since we don't need Sanson this window. Watkins was an essential signing last summer, no chance of delaying it, and it's not like there were loads of other cheap options out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The club letting a journo know a player is available for a game is very different to them leaking specific details of wage and transfer negotiations.

• Thanks 1

I think though this is subjective, people think differently on what the price should be for many players. 

Even on this website, even though we all have the same beliefs/goals for Villa, our valuations of players is really quite different. 

At the end of the day it's down to what the buyer and seller agree on the price and that is affected by many reasons including competition for the player, desire to get the player or the selling teams need to sell the player due to finances. 

Our views on price of the player is based on our own flawed logic because we are on the outside and is generally based on our own view of the player and generally not knowing that much about the player we are buying but what others say, some limited stats and seeing the player a few times or worse a youtube clip. 

Our scouts have their own view, detailed analysis and knowledge and how they want to use that player and to be fair the scouts/managers survive in their jobs or dont based on these assessments.

• Like 1

Â