Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

We didn't get anywhere near Rashica's release clause. The clause was £35m. Bremen were prepared to accept something more like £22m - £25m but played hard ball for some reason. Rashica's wages were never the issue.

I thought we met whatever price Bremen wanted whether it was release clause or a lower fee, we had agreed preliminary wages but Rashica wasnt convinced to come here was the problem and it wasnt contractual or money issues, just the player wasnt convinced partly because he wanted to go to RB and secondly moving to the UK with a young family and not playing champions league football. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If you say so.

Not me that's saying that. It was well known long before our interest was reported that his release clause was around £35m ish.

Milot Rashica's release clause will drop from €38 million to €15 million if Werder Bremen are relegated from the Bundesliga, according to Sport Bild.

https://bulinews.com/news/5014/report-milot-rashicas-release-clause-will-drop-werder-are-relegated

A quick Google search will also show that we were always offering in the region of £20m but never actually agreed a fee in the end.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought we met whatever price Bremen wanted whether it was release clause or a lower fee, we had agreed preliminary wages but Rashica wasnt convinced to come here was the problem and it wasnt contractual or money issues, just the player wasnt convinced partly because he wanted to go to RB and secondly moving to the UK with a young family and not playing champions league football. 

Unfortunately we never agreed a deal with Bremen. Either this was because of a disagreement on the up front payment or the add-ons/clauses. We'll probably never know now but it was definitely the club who scuppered the deal.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Unfortunately we never agreed a deal with Bremen. Either this was because of a disagreement on the up front payment or the add-ons/clauses. We'll probably never know now but it was definitely the club who scuppered the deal.

Wow, everything I read and seen was because the player had reservations but everything else was basically done.  I guess you learn something new every day.

But Defoe still signed for us though? he's not still in Julie B's basement?

Just now, nick76 said:

Wow, everything I read and seen was because the player had reservations but everything else was basically done.  I guess you learn something new every day.

To be fair, I think he did have reservations initially but after RBL dropped their interest he apparently was happy with coming to us. We may never know the actual ins and outs but we definitely did not agree a fee.

Defoe, Kiyotake and Dale Stephens are all down there, aren't they? Hopefully Sanson won't be joining them soon and we get this deal over the line. We could really do with him in midfield.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Not me that's saying that. It was well known long before our interest was reported that his release clause was around £35m ish.

https://bulinews.com/news/5014/report-milot-rashicas-release-clause-will-drop-werder-are-relegated

A quick Google search will also show that we were always offering in the region of £20m but never actually agreed a fee in the end.

That's just a link to what his release clause was. Nothing about what we offered or didn't offer. And as it says that release clause expired in June while the season was still playing, I'm pretty sure he renegotiated a new clause which was lower because he wanted to go to Leipzig. Most sources had his release clause at around £20m at the end of the season.

Now whether wages really were an issue or not, I'm pretty sure we had agreed some fee with Bremen as we were in advanced discussions with the player at some point. I know as Nick says that he had his heart set on Leipzig and didn't want to come here in case we were in a relegation battle again, so that was probably one factor and the other was he wanted to double his wages. 

I'm only going on what I read and am not an insider so I can't say I know if this is truth or not. But what you're saying happened is not what was widely reported at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah Jermaine signed for us. 
Just never got out. 

image.png.25dfa507374d18ce869b96d2d4851cd2.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Watkins is worth good money for a lot of reasons:

• Homegrown
  • Young (24 when he signed)
  • Plays striker - usually the most expensive position
  • Incredible fitness record - will start most games
  • Massive improvement to the squad since we were desperate for a striker

I don't think we paid over the odds.

When we're signing players for positions where we already have decent starters, we can afford to be tougher in the negotiation I think, since we don't need Sanson this window. Watkins was an essential signing last summer, no chance of delaying it, and it's not like there were loads of other cheap options out there.

There weren't many viable options no (most CFs if any good are only available at a premium) and I agree he's certainly improved our team overall. But I did feel at the time it was a lot to pay for a player with no PL experience and many people agreed with me. 

FWIW I like Watkins and he's impressed me. My only criticism of him is that he needs to be more clinical as he should have several more goals this season if we're being honest (he's been unlucky with VAR too).

I still stand by the fact that €18m for Sanson is a very reasonable price whether it's in a position where we're well covered or not. That's the sort of price you pay for quality squad players these days if you want to compete at the top end of the table. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Rashica apparently wanted £75K per week and we thought it was too high, but had put Ollie on a similar financial package. IIRC we met Rashica’s release clause so it was all about negotiating personal terms.

Again no one knows exactly what went on but I did hear this from Ashley Preece (Birmingham Mail) who also said Barkley was available for yesterday’s game so I’d imagine it’s not far from the truth.

Everything proposed to the player in principle was fine.

You just have to look at the contradicting bullshit Frank Baumann was coming out with all over the summer.

We agreed terms with the player (in principle) and had met his release fee clause but yet still the goal posts were moved and in the end they were left with an unhappy player who they are now touting again to try and sell - which many of us we knew at the time would happen.

But I guess if you have been given inside information from someone at the BM who get's his exclusives from VT anyway, then it flaws any further argument.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The club letting a journo know a player is available for a game is very different to them leaking specific details of wage and transfer negotiations.

Exactly.

Just now, thunderball said:

Villareport's take on this is not how I read it - that seems like that is the current offer and we need to alter to €17m in total with a more attractive split?

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 14.57.18.png

I’d agree with your take. I hadn’t seen the original. Bloody Villa Report spreading lies again! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

You are right in a sense Nick, very early doors (about June) that it was all RB Leipzig and the want for CL football etc.

By August that had changed significantly when it was established RB Leipzig didn't want him anyway and nothing came of it.

We made a move for the player and what was initially scepticism from 'little Rocket man' about relegation soon became a distant memory and was all for joining us.

The lad himself couldn't have gave us anymore clues that he was all for joining us if he tried.

• Thanks 1

Â