Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

I think the fixture pile up thing is slightly over blown. Unless your team goes to the final of the CL/EL, FA cup and EFL cup there is always going to be several mid-week slots available for rearrangements before May. And whilst its not great playing Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday every week this is a pretty standard event in the Championship and the top teams do this frequently due to the European games. And for those clubs who are going long in several cup competitions, I say boohoo for you - get knocked out and give the rest of us chance of glory! 😝    

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I think the fixture pile up thing is slightly over blown. Unless your team goes to the final of the CL/EL, FA cup and EFL cup there is always going to be several mid-week slots available for rearrangements before May. And whilst its not great playing Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday every week this is a pretty standard event in the Championship and the top teams do this frequently due to the European games. And for those clubs who are going long in several cup competitions, I say boohoo for you - get knocked out and give the rest of us chance of glory! 😝    

I agree, we only have the league to play therefore we only have 23 games left to play this season in the next ~130 days which is when we play Chelsea on the last game of the season, that's one every 5 days even if we lose the next 10 days.

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

5 games in 14 days.

saturday - wednesday - saturday - wednesday - saturday

it sounds a lot on paper but in reality its nothing more than compared to the championship, cup weeks and european football, we'll need to manage the squad a little but we can do it

• Like 1

Disappointing not to have a game again this weekend, but realistically it's a blessing preparation wise.

We now have a pretty brutal run of games, but we could really pick up some momentum with a couple of early wins.

Midway through January it will be interesting to see if we now bring in some recruitments to add to the depth of the squad.

I would hope Barkley and Trezeguet are now back fit (playing wise) and that Covid hasn't affected anyone long term.

Doubt Barkley will make it, looks like it will be about -2 on Saturday evening at about 8pm!:lol:

Good news if many of them are doing training drills round their garden as at least early stages of covid aren't leaving them bed ridden or struggling for breath after walking for a bit, hopefully no long term impact either.

brilliant how opposition fans are losing their shit over this

make us play the kids, make us forfeit, fine us, dock us points, why did they play vs liverpool, the obvious "villa players breaking the rules AGAIN" stuff...glad that the first game postponed was newcastle vs us, the PL have nowhere to go with it, there are also very obvious answers to all of the moaning about us its just good to see people so bitter that they are unwilling to accept it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

make us play the kids, make us forfeit, fine us, dock us points, why did they play vs liverpool, the obvious "villa players breaking the rules AGAIN" stuff...glad that the first game postponed was newcastle vs us, the PL have nowhere to go with it, there are also very obvious answers to all of the moaning about us its just good to see people so bitter that they are unwilling to accept it

To be fair I’m sure a lot of villa fans were moaning about the Newcastle game not been forfeit and how it was their own fault. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Everton off

As a side note I often get asked why I sit in the north stand, well look at how wonderful the Holte looks. It's even more sensational when it's full and we're winning. The north stand is a depressing uninspired sight.

Hopefully the players haven't been too fatigued by the outbreak and they'll be fit and raring to go.

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's also why us being so accommodating to Newcastle the first time around was the perfect thing to do, as a lot of us said at the time.

If we'd caused a fuss when that happened (a bit like Everton did) then we'd look stupid asking for postponements now, and may not be looked on favourably as we did so.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Someone mentioned to me that no game for 2 weeks and then so many in a short period is what causes injuries. I don’t know why that would be but it sounds worrying.

Many games in a short time will (hopefully) be entertaining for the fans, but I kind of hope we buy one or two good ones now, to have ready when injuries inevitably crop up.

• Like 1

Tough to see this season being a great success right now given the pile-up and who knows what fitness effects due to covid. We're unlikely to be able to power run teams down as effectively for a few weeks. blah.

My main concern is for those who tested positive; I hope they are not too adversely affected health wise for both the short term and the long term.  Hopefully when we do return to action it is as close to 100% as feasible.

Â