Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Can’t they just arrange to push the Euros back a few weeks so domestic competitions can finish their seasons. 

There's no room. The 2021-22 season can't be delayed because the 2022-23 season needs to start early for the 2022 World cup that's been dumped slap bang in the middle of it for money.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Guessing these were stories that I missed, but care to enlighten me on what they said/implied?

Just lots of clips of players training in their (enormous) gardens, with cones, posts and all sorts of equipment - it was just interesting to see. Douglas Luiz had tagged his "working from home". 

15 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Can’t they just arrange to push the Euros back a few weeks so domestic competitions can finish their seasons. 

They won't do that if it's just the prem impacted, would need the other major leagues to all be impacted and have loads of games and rounds cancelled as was the case 12 months ago pretty much.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just lots of clips of players training in their (enormous) gardens, with cones, posts and all sorts of equipment - it was just interesting to see. Douglas Luiz had tagged his "working from home". 

Will have to have a look but hopefully they're not all out of breath after doing a light jog round their reasonably sized gardens!

I think once we're back in full training (whenever that will be) we'll be back to playing a game within 3 days as I don't quite subscribe to this sudden view 15 of our players are going to have long covid.

Newcastle had big issue with Saint Maximn who still can't play. Lascelles also had an issue but most of their other regulars have been out there since they resumed.

It will have to be a case of seeing who might not have the endurance levels of before and making sure they get eased back into the team and possibly changing to a more safety first style of play in next few weeks rather than being on the front foot constantly as we like to do.

Another player in or two in next two weeks would help aswell to give more fresh legs for rest of the season.

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They won't do that if it's just the prem impacted, would need the other major leagues to all be impacted and have loads of games and rounds cancelled as was the case 12 months ago pretty much.

This is it, every other major league is on schedule at the moment. Just like the restart and VAR the Premier League is lightyears behind the other leagues 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ahh, but that doesn't mean they're the ones infected,  they're all just training from home as the ground is closed and they're in enforced isolation.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

This is it, every other major league is on schedule at the moment. Just like the restart and VAR the Premier League is lightyears behind the other leagues 

Not from the La Liga table. Atletico Madrid are top with 3 games in hand on half the league although I presume that's more to the break they had at start of the season due to european participation. Still played two games less than Barca somehow who went further in CL.

France had games called off for covid right at the start of the season, Marseille two behind everyone above them in the table.

Serie A had the fiasco of Juve-Napoli, that looks like it will be replayed now.

Bundesliga only one running like clockwork and even if they weren't 18 team league gives them breathing space in the schedule.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not from the La Liga table. Atletico Madrid are top with 3 games in hand on half the league although I presume that's more to the break they had at start of the season due to european participation. Still played two games less than Barca somehow who went further in CL.

France had games called off for covid right at the start of the season, Marseille two behind everyone above them in the table.

Serie A had the fiasco of Juve-Napoli, that looks like it will be replayed now.

Bundesliga only one running like clockwork and even if they weren't 18 team league gives them breathing space in the schedule.

Atletico played one of them last night, they had one snowed off and they were in Europe until the quarter or semi finals of the champions league. Serie A was a government mixup nothing on covid

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Ahh, but that doesn't mean they're the ones infected,  they're all just training from home as the ground is closed and they're in enforced isolation.

Absolutely, and it's possible that some of those training at home tested positive but are asymptomatic.

I just liked watching footballers run around their gardens.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely, and it's possible that some of those training at home tested positive but are asymptomatic.

Luiz' was especially enlightening, makes you appreciate their commitment a bit more strangely.

I imagine Martinez is going to have the most difficulty practicing his essential skills. Unless Mandinha happens to have a wonder strike on her?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agreed. Similarly I find that when politicians, etc. are being interviewed remotely, my attention is often drawn to the decor of their rooms rather than attending to the interview.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Luiz' was especially enlightening, makes you appreciate their commitment a bit more strangely.

I imagine Martinez is going to have the most difficulty practicing his essential skills. Unless Mandinha happens to have a wonder strike on her?

i think a lot of it is just fitness plus being mentally ready for a match. if martinez needs to practice catching footballs in his back garden then i'd be worried. at this stage of their careers, the core skills are 2nd nature

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think a lot of it is just fitness plus being mentally ready for a match. if martinez needs to practice catching footballs in his back garden then i'd be worried. at this stage of their careers, the core skills are 2nd nature

He just loves to catch.  Anything, anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Partially true I guess, but we don't want his catching getting rusty. I can guarantee they will train his catching of shots in every session as well, which they wouldn't be doing unless it was valuable.

You would expect his reactions to largely remain the same, and his positional awareness to stay in tact, but keeping your coordination and familiarity in order will all be helped by facing shots from PL strikers, and not from your wife/child/dog/other...

54 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

The people I know that have had covid have struggled with their fitness during recovery. Shortness of breath, reduced stamina etc. You would hope professional footballers being supremely fit would be able recover from it reasonably quickly but even so a two week turnaround is asking alot! 

Finger's crossed first and foremost that nobody gets properly ill from COVID, that's the main thing.

But having like five games in-hand, no cups or European football for distraction, could theoretically play to our advantage a little bit.

Will typically still have only one game a week, and two every other week for a certain timeframe. Imagine though if we are still like 10 points off top-four with five games-in-hand, the lads will be buzzing.

Given they managed two games a week during resumption, I think (assuming everyone is healthy, again finger's crossed), that this could work to our advantage from a sporting perspective.

• Like 3

Â