Transgenderism

Chindie

18 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Can you though? I ask this from a genuine place of ignorance on the subject. If I can't even reference the fact that he used to be called Ellen (dead naming?) can I just say their biological sex is female without fear of social reprisal?

Deadnaming is a tricky one, but it's really separate to the point. But from my understanding it's generally fine if it's an accident. If someone is deliberately using someone's previous name then that's when it's an issue as it's rightly seen as deliberately disrespectful.

And yes I believe you can say someone's biological sex is female, but again the context is important. If you said his biological sex is female but he identifies as a male then nobody will bat an eyelid I would have thought. 
If you said "I don't recognise her as male because her biological sex is female" then it's obviously totally different.

Think of it like race. A black man wouldn't have an issue with me referring to him as a black man if the context is appropriate. If the context is inappropriate then there may be an issue

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I read a simple poll question recently that asked "Are there more than two genders"? Loaded question these days. If I were to answer the question in a biological sense, I'd have to say that there are two genders, but that doesn't cut it in universities these days, and saying so will get you outcast. I'm sympathetic to the nuances of gender fluidity as it pertains to self-identification. There were a few gay kids in my elementary school who were definitely born that way, but it didn't make them female. 

Just because you intrinsically identify with the opposite gender from which you were born doesn't make you that gender. While I do believe homosexuality is biological and transgenderism is also a biological force to a degree (people are born that way and often feel different as children), there is not a "third sex", is there? Am I missing a fundamental element in tis argument? Has a third gender been discovered?

The girls athletics debate- don't they have a point that it's unfair if a testosterone-fueled person with hairy testicles dominates an event as a "woman" or "girl"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I read a simple poll question recently that asked "Are there more than two genders"? Loaded question these days. If I were to answer the question in a biological sense, I'd have to say that there are two genders, but that doesn't cut it in universities these days, and saying so will get you outcast. I'm sympathetic to the nuances of gender fluidity as it pertains to self-identification. There were a few gay kids in my elementary school who were definitely born that way, but it didn't make them female. 

Just because you intrinsically identify with the opposite gender from which you were born doesn't make you that gender. While I do believe homosexuality is biological and transgenderism is also a biological force to a degree (people are born that way and often feel different as children), there is not a "third sex", is there? Am I missing a fundamental element in tis argument? Has a third gender been discovered?

The girls athletics debate- don't they have a point that it's unfair if a testosterone-fueled person with hairy testicles dominates an event as a "woman" or "girl"?

Intersex

I think we’ve covered this a bit previously, up stream in this thread.

Whether you are talking about chromosomes or whether you are talking about having balls, there are more than two options.

Some kids get assigned a sex at birth, that is, it’s not obvious at birth ‘what they are’ when you just think boy / girl, foof / winky. So sometimes there is surgery and they are declared male or female and it later transpires it’s far more complicated than that.

Old fashioned word for you ‘hermaphrodite’.

Probably also mentioned upstream I’d have thought, the runner Caster Semenya, investigated to see if she ‘qualified’ as a female. It took them about a year to decide?

That would suggest there’s more to it than a simple binary choice. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

There's 2 sexes.

There's more than 2 genders.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's 2 sexes.

There's more than 2 genders.

Perhaps we need to redefine that as: 

(Except in a very few rare cases) there are two sexes. 

There are no genders. 

There are just people. 

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There are no genders. 

There are just people, and Blues fans 

Fixed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There are no genders. 

There are just people. 

Ideally, I think a big cause of gender dysphoria is the idea that there’s one way to be based on your genitals. I’ve always thought that if society was more accepting of kids and people being how they want to be there would be less people who identify as a different gender as they’re not brought up with that construct in the first place, although it’s just a theory.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There was a pic of Elliot Page doing the rounds at the weekend... 6 packing hell!!

isn’t it interesting that a year ago they wouldn’t have been allowed to show his nipples?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 29/11/2020 at 18:22, icouldtelltheworld said:

The outcome of this trial 

on Tuesday may have a significant impact on the prescription of puberty blockers and treatment of gender dysphoria in children under the age of 17. Legal action has been brought against the Tavistock gender clinic by an ex-patient who now regrets undergoing hormone treatment and claims that they should have been challenged more vigorously by health professionals. At the heart of the issue is the degree to which children can give consent to treatment and the suitability of the affirmation model advocated by groups such as Mermaids and Stonewall. As with so much of this topic, this is a messy and complex issue that will likely be the source of much debate for a long time to come.

Overturned at appeal.

Headed to the Supreme Court shortly no doubt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

strange that the cut-off is under 17, not 16 or 18 like most other things.

Probably over simplifying things but I have always wondered why there are varying age cut-off for things such as this and also driving, buying alcohol, gambling, voting, getting married, having sex etc. Why isn't there just one set cut-off for all of it?

Mostly due to wondering why at 16 you're old enough to have sex but not drive or get drunk? 

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Probably over simplifying things but I have always wondered why there are varying age cut-off for things such as this and also driving, buying alcohol, gambling, voting, getting married, having sex etc. Why isn't there just one set cut-off for all of it?

Mostly due to wondering why at 16 you're old enough to have sex but not drive or get drunk? 

There was an MP on the TV during the Afghanistan exit that was lamenting the pressure our poor 17 year old brave soldiers were under.

I couldn’t help thinking that if we really had put 17 year olds on that front line, we were kind of despicable.

Of course I guess the MP might have been a liar.

You can vote at 16 in Monmouth, but have to wait another 2 years if you live up the road in Ross.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was an MP on the TV during the Afghanistan exit that was lamenting the pressure our poor 17 year old brave soldiers were under.

I couldn’t help thinking that if we really had put 17 year olds on that front line, we were kind of despicable.

Of course I guess the MP might have been a liar.

You can vote at 16 in Monmouth, but have to wait another 2 years if you live up the road in Ross.

Hadn't considered the military but that is an interesting one. 

I have no idea what the answer is in any of this but there does seem to be better ways to do some of it. 

So much of this subject appears to regularly come around to which toilet to be seen to be using.

Makes me feel like the problem is at least partly toilet design.

Our local schools were split boy school / girl school until recently. Now they’ve split them east of town / west of town, mixed sex. They’ve knocked the front wall out of the toilet blocks so you’ve essentially got an open shared wash area and private cubicles. No need for boy girl symbols on doors. Such a silly little thing, but a trauma removed for some people.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So much of this subject appears to regularly come around to which toilet to be seen to be using.

Makes me feel like the problem is at least partly toilet design.

Our local schools were split boy school / girl school until recently. Now they’ve split them east of town / west of town, mixed sex. They’ve knocked the front wall out of the toilet blocks so you’ve essentially got an open shared wash area and private cubicles. No need for boy girl symbols on doors. Such a silly little thing, but a trauma removed for some people.

I think @Xelawould never have made it out of school, he'd have been traumatised by the age of 12

Girls being able to hear his private impression of carpet bombing Dresden might just have sent him over the edge

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â