Transgenderism

Chindie

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Congrats 

If you don’t mind me being nosy , what do you mean? You’ve changed your name to another female name or a more male orientated name. 

Changed my name from my birth name to my preferred name so from a traditionally male name to actually more of a unisex one but the intent being the female version of the name 😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eidolon said:

Changed my name from my birth name to my preferred name so from a traditionally male name to actually more of a unisex one but the intent being the female version of the name 😊

Oh got ya . So you’ve made the change from male into female? Or have I got it wrong . Tell me to F off if you want 🙂Must say from the pictures you’ve posted you look all woman.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Oh got ya . So you’ve made the change from male into female? Or have I got it wrong . Tell me to F off if you want 🙂Must say from the pictures you’ve posted you look all woman.

A couple of pages back Ruge is a great post by @Eidolon really great, doesn't answer your questions but is well worth a read. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eidolon said:

All good! I don’t look for things to get bent out of shape about if the intent is clearly friendly and genuinely interested :)

So yeah, Male to female, started hormones and stuff a number of years ago and was pretty lucky to not be the most masculine looking person to start with so I’m pretty privileged in how easy it is for me to exist as a trans person. It’s a lot harder for people who transition later in life than I did or just aren’t lucky enough to have a certain body type and facial structure so don’t see quite the same success from hormone therapy as I have been privileged enough to have gotten.

Very alien to me but I’m fully aware that it happens and why. I’m glad you’re happy and I’d have never have known until you mentioned it that you made the change, not that that really matters anyway. Congratulations again 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Very alien to me but I’m fully aware that it happens and why. I’m glad you’re happy and I’d have never have known until you mentioned it that you made the change, not that that really matters anyway. Congratulations again 🙂

Thank you 😁 that’s always really reassuring to hear from people. 

On 12/11/2021 at 17:18, Chindie said:

The ever great Shaun does a bloody good rebuttal of the Beeb's recent grim article on the 'threat' of transgender people to lesbians. Which cited a lesbian who has herself been accused of, and admitted to, sexually assaulting women.

That 'article' only becomes more appalling as time goes by.

A follow up to the above, focusing on the BBC's responses to the complaints about that **** grim 'article'.

Their response is dreadful. They have ignored or misunderstood the complaints, and their responses arguably make the complaints even more relevant.

On 02/12/2021 at 01:34, Eidolon said:

All good! I don’t look for things to get bent out of shape about if the intent is clearly friendly and genuinely interested :)

So yeah, Male to female, started hormones and stuff a number of years ago and was pretty lucky to not be the most masculine looking person to start with so I’m pretty privileged in how easy it is for me to exist as a trans person. It’s a lot harder for people who transition later in life than I did or just aren’t lucky enough to have a certain body type and facial structure so don’t see quite the same success from hormone therapy as I have been privileged enough to have gotten.

How are the attitudes in  Adelaide and Australia generally towards the trans community? I understand it may be hard to equate it to other places but I'm interested in your take.

Just a random example but Salt Lake City is the capitol of Utah - a Mormon run state with fairly draconian laws and legislature. However, due to its position as the major metropolis for a looonnng way, folks from the LGBTQ+ community move there from Idaho, Wyoming, Iowa, rural Utah & Colorado. So now it's something of a mecca for the disenfranchised even if it's politics don't project that.

• Like 2

Similar, my nipper lived in Flagstaff for about 14 / 15 months and that was looking very liberal compared with the rest of Arizona.

University town, they had cafes where they wouldn’t allow guns in the shop. Not being flippant, it was seen as quite the signal, you’d get a cafe with a rainbow flag and a no guns sign and know who that cafe was for, i.e. everyone, not just wannabe cowboys.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 15:38, TheAuthority said:

How are the attitudes in  Adelaide and Australia generally towards the trans community? I understand it may be hard to equate it to other places but I'm interested in your take.

Just a random example but Salt Lake City is the capitol of Utah - a Mormon run state with fairly draconian laws and legislature. However, due to its position as the major metropolis for a looonnng way, folks from the LGBTQ+ community move there from Idaho, Wyoming, Iowa, rural Utah & Colorado. So now it's something of a mecca for the disenfranchised even if it's politics don't project that.

It’s a bit of a tricky question cause I guess there are so many things that factor into it. As far as health care goes it’s A LOT easier to transition here than a lot of places which is a big plus but there are a lot of factors I guess.

Adelaide and Australia by in large is a lot more conservative than what I think our national image might lead people to believe (maybe I’m wrong but I feel people tend to think of us as fairly progressive?) but I do feel like attitudes towards trans people are coming a long way. There’s a lot more awareness of our existence than there really was for a long time for better or worse but we are battling against a culture where ‘men are men and do work with their hands like building sheds’…or something, so confusion can be a pretty common reaction from people.

Unfortunately with the way everything has to be left vs right these days for everyone who is actively learning and keeping their mind open about it there are those who hate us just because it lines up with their particular ‘side’. Most places are pretty welcoming and businesses especially are coming to the party in a big way as far as inclusivity goes but even I as someone who ‘passes’ relatively well knows there are places that won’t serve me if they know I’m trans. The general population is usually pretty okay but I get pretty gross things yelled at me not infrequently and I’ve been assaulted a few times when I’ve been clocked and the police have been a lot less than helpful on those occasions . 

More often than not I think we tend to keep to our own little communities and avoid the risk of something happening. I don’t think that’s the way to make things any better because showing people we are just regular people not the monsters people with certain vested interests would have them believe is going to put people more at ease but it just tends to kind of happen so like with anywhere there are little enclaves around the city where things are better but by and large I think Adelaide and Australia in general has a long way to go

…I feel like that was a bit rambley so I’ll try summarise.

it’s better than a lot of places, could be a lot better though. The general perception of us I think is positive but the Neanderthals are vocal, aggressive and more numerous than we would like.

Edited by Eidolon

For me, Australia is perceived at a simple level as a happy smiley welcoming sunny fun place. Not least, for bantz with the old country and holiday of a lifetime family get togethers.

But I think just under the surface, there will be attitudes towards indigenous people, the love of coal, refugee holding camps, the treatment of orphans in the 60’s and 70’s and all sorts of other things that make you realise that life is always a bit more complicated than the postcards.

• Like 1

That’s pretty accurate actually, I think our stance on fossil fuels and emissions targets are shining a pretty shameful light on the attitudes of our country that’s pretty overdue I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eidolon said:

That’s pretty accurate actually, I think our stance on fossil fuels and emissions targets are shining a pretty shameful light on the attitudes of our country that’s pretty overdue I think.

It’s the same with Canada. Outwardly project as a progressive global citizen but keep quiet about all the fossil fuel production that goes on there. 

It’s understandable when Australia’s wealth is derived from mining primary resources and selling them to developing countries like India and China.

A bit of a bummer that the golden goose turns out to be a bit toxic for the planet. It’s difficult to give up one of the main sources of a nations income. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

For me, Australia is perceived at a simple level as a happy smiley welcoming sunny fun place. Not least, for bantz with the old country and holiday of a lifetime family get togethers.

But I think just under the surface, there will be attitudes towards indigenous people, the love of coal, refugee holding camps, the treatment of orphans in the 60’s and 70’s and all sorts of other things that make you realise that life is always a bit more complicated than the postcards.

My experience of Aus is that it's a happy smiley welcoming sunny fun place as you say. But in terms of attitudes it's like many other places - in the big urban centres it's pretty liberal, diverse and tolerant (Melbourne and Sydney especially). Go out into the outback or more remote places and it's a bit different, a bit 20 years behind the Cities.

Their Governments are pretty conservative and dinosaur like, mind, in terms of fossil fuels, Gay/trans rights and all the rest of stuff around those kinds of things.

In terms of historical awfulnesses, sure, there's plenty of scandal as you say, but I do think they are doing more to address and acknowledge it than many other nations - plenty of whom also have historical records of shameful stuff.

It's a strange mix in a way, but I'd take it over ours. On indigenous people, there's a lot of (partly superficial) recognition of traditional people, lands and rights and injustices, again in the metropolitan areas in particular, but ( I kid you not) in the outback I've seen TV ads that basically said "don't go to sleep, drunk in the middle of the road" aimed at Aboriginal people - and that was because it happened and was a problem. I don't think they air any more, as I didn't see them last time I was there, but still...

Getting back to transgenderism, I think it'll take a long time (anywhere) for a kind of global understanding and tolerance of difference without all kinds of rows and stuff, but if we look back, things seem to have come a good way in recent years, particularly in places where there are a mix of all different and diverse people - So Cities with Universities and so on. Adelaide is a quieter place than Sydney and Melbourne but it's big on further education and the Uni there is a fine one, so hopefully from there things can kind of spread throughout the City and into the wider SA.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it can ever really make sense to compare countries in terms of how open or reactionary they are or whatever - clearly people of different people persuasions and mindsets live in every different place - but my impression of Australia is always shaped by how intolerant the country seems to be toward migrants, and what seems to me (without ever having been there!) like a deep-seated sense of being a European fortress against its Asian neighbours. I mean, obviously as I say I've never been and I'm sure I'm very much over-generalising and maybe even talking out of my arse to a large extent, but even in the UK where we have a pretty right-wing and intolerant attitude to refugees, we haven't yet ended up with the kind of explicitly cruel offshore processing type stuff; the Tories have been trying really hard to make 'fear of the boat people' into a Thing for a while now, precisely because they know the right in Australia has ridden it to multiple election victories, but even though it's in the news a lot it's just not that big of a motivator here. Maybe that will change of course. 

I dunno, just overall I don't really have an impression of Australia as a particularly open and tolerant country, but I'm sure it is in some ways and not in others just like everywhere else. 

This is Australia in a nutshell

Taronga Zoo - Syndey

We're in a bit of a queue at the entrance whilst a ludicrous argument takes place involving a visually impaired person plus their sighted assistant and the entrance staff. The argument is about who gets in free, the zoo wanted to charge the carer and not the VI person. The VI person is saying no you must charge me and let my carer in free, I'm the paying customer...

I get the militancy but really, they were only charging you for one person, swap the tickets and get on with it.

Anyhow, the queue is getting a bit restless with this and some Aussie bloke a few place behind us in the queue just bellows "Who the f**k takes a blind person to a f***ing zoo anyway?"

Ground swallow me up at this point

A friend had a quite senior position at Universal in Oz.

She found that outside the cities it was cripplingly sexist, as was business at senior levels.

Can't see Oz being too great for the non het/binary gang.

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

my impression of Australia is always shaped by how intolerant the country seems to be toward migrants, and what seems to me (without ever having been there!) like a deep-seated sense of being a European fortress against its Asian neighbours. I mean, obviously as I say I've never been and I'm sure I'm very much over-generalising and maybe even talking out of my arse to a large extent, but even in the UK where we have a pretty right-wing and intolerant attitude to refugees, we haven't yet ended up with the kind of explicitly cruel offshore processing type stuff; the Tories have been trying really hard to make 'fear of the boat people' into a Thing for a while now, precisely because they know the right in Australia has ridden it to multiple election victories, but even though it's in the news a lot it's just not that big of a motivator here. Maybe that will change of course. 

I dunno, just overall I don't really have an impression of Australia as a particularly open and tolerant country, but I'm sure it is in some ways and not in others just like everywhere else. 

Whether migrants or other minorities, I think it's really important to separate out "the government" and "the people (generally)". I've spent quite a bit of time there, both in the Cities and in the outback and I'd say it compares favourably with the UK in many respects. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this is my experience, albeit as a white, European, straight male. There's definitely racism, islamophobia, prejudice and all the rest, as there is everywhere, but it's (to my perception) less apparent than the UK. That said, it's hard to ignore that until 50 years ago they had an immigration policy that was essentially "white only" and it takes a long time for attitudes to completely change.

Their Government and ours seem similarly wrong on similar things.

• Like 1

Â