Transgenderism

Chindie

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think @Xelawould never have made it out of school, he'd have been traumatised by the age of 12

Girls being able to hear his private impression of carpet bombing Dresden might just have sent him over the edge

Luckily my illness didn't manifest itself until my 30's! I'm certain I made it through school without having a dump on premises 🤔

• Like 1

It's been about 17 years, but whenever I'm reminded of them I can still smell school toilets. I went to a national trust property a few weeks ago, and their facilities gave me terrible flashbacks. 

Edited by Davkaus

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

Luckily my illness didn't manifest itself until my 30's! I'm certain I made it through school without having a dump on premises 🤔

So this wasn't you ?

Screenshot_20210918-113900_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I like Dave Chappelle, probably my favourite stand up. He isn't perfect but think a lot of the outrage over his latest special is potentially because people have viewed a 30 second clip. As he said people should watch the entire special. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I like Dave Chappelle, probably my favourite stand up. He isn't perfect but think a lot of the outrage over his latest special is potentially because people have viewed a 30 second clip. As he said people should watch the entire special. 

Dave Chappelle is absolutely brilliant. I agree, one of my all time favourites too. His previous Netflix specials have been works of art, true masterpieces.

My main issue with the last one isn’t the controversial language - if you watch it end to end you’ll understand the context and probably understand what the actual message is. The biggest problem for me was that it wasn’t very funny. It was okay, but it felt kind of forced and the attempted edginess  came across more as trying to offend just to be offensive. Which isn’t in itself that funny. Comedically, I felt it was below Chappelle’s (insanely high) usual standards. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Doesn't he have a trans comedian opening for him on his tours? He's good mates with apparently. This strikes me as Chappelle trying to bend the boundaries.

True. He talks about it at length in the special. 

5 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Dave Chappelle is absolutely brilliant. I agree, one of my all time favourites too. His previous Netflix specials have been works of art, true masterpieces.

My main issue with the last one isn’t the controversial language - if you watch it end to end you’ll understand the context and probably understand what the actual message is. The biggest problem for me was that it wasn’t very funny. It was okay, but it felt kind of forced and the attemptes edginess  came across more as trying to offend just to be offensive. Which isn’t in itself that funny. Comedically, I felt it was below Chappelle’s (insanely high) usual standards. 

I agree with all of that and if anything it took over the entire special which was a pain. The other Netflix specials have been exceptional so when viewed against them it does fall short. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Zen said:

My main issue with the last one isn’t the controversial language - if you watch it end to end you’ll understand the context and probably understand what the actual message is. The biggest problem for me was that it wasn’t very funny. It was okay, but it felt kind of forced and the attempted edginess  came across more as trying to offend just to be offensive. Which isn’t in itself that funny. Comedically, I felt it was below Chappelle’s (insanely high) usual standards. 

Bingo

• Thanks 1

The BBC posted an article yesterday that suggests that transwomen are a threat to lesbians. The article was built from a survey of lesbians that queried whether they have felt pressured to sleep with transwomen. The problem though, is the survey came from an anti trans community, effectively making the survey self selecting.

And then the article itself quotes a lesbian woman who has herself been accused of sexually assaulting women in toilets.

Oh Beeb.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

I think Chapelle was under so much criticism that this special was specifically designed the way it was, a statement of sort.

He threw in some good jokes, but it was more of a story to express his feelings on the matter. The tile 'Closer' alludes to it. 

I think it was a good show, and an important one too. 

I'll never understand the level of hate Rowling receives for having the opinion that a woman is a woman based on sex. It really shouldn't be remotely controversial. Agree or disagree it is absolutely not a fundamentally horrible position to take. Poll the world, and I reckon most of the world would say it's a common sense differentiation. Even if they're wrong, even if it is more complicated than that, holding that position seems as legitimate as another other on issues of gender or sex, but no the twitterati in their wisdom have pre-determined there is only The One Acceptable Position on such matters, and deviation is akin to being worse than Hitler. From what I've read I have absolutely no idea what was wrong with what that Maya person spoke about. Someone explain it in simple terms why believing in sex based gender differences is EVIL INCARNATE? It is baffling. 

There was a interesting Adam Buxton chat with Helen Lewis on his podcast which seemed to be about where I was. Agree or not, the push to render one side of this argument is fundamentally illegitimate is utterly grotesque

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

On 27/05/2021 at 09:56, a m ole said:

isn’t it interesting that a year ago they wouldn’t have been allowed to show his nipples?

The daily star would and would’ve counted down a couple of months before his 16th birthday do so before the big ‘reveal’

On 22/02/2021 at 19:54, Chindie said:

Lindsay Ellis digs into the history of transphobia in pop culture, and argues that has actually developed the transphobia narrative.

It's a good watch. It criticises Rowling, unsurprisingly.

Sorry to quote myself but this has a fair bit of a focus on Rowling and gives some critique on her 'concerns'.

There's also this breakdown of her essay that points out every bit where she's wrong, or parroting transphobic talking points, or...

Then we come to her writing a book which is riddled with the same shit, without balance...

But the big problem with her isn't so much that she has these views, it's that her status and money means she can force those views into the debate and direct the discussion to her liking.

• Like 1

Â