Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Barkley under Emery

image.thumb.jpeg.a15b155efa3f9d55657028dcc666bf64.jpeg

NO BARKLEY NO BANQUET doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Just now, est1874 said:

Jesus... Not sure about this one tbh.

Are we signing him as well.

Has proven ability when everybody thought he was dead rising back into contention.

He will never ever play as a DM for us, I find it almost comical that people think that that would be the case, watch games rather than go by Fbref, he wasn't anything like a DM for Luton, he might have not been playing as No.10 or whatever like he did earllier in his career, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly a DM in the vein of Chambers or Dendoncker lol. I'd be surprised if he ever played in a two man midfield for us, never mind as the DM in a two man midfield

If he signs he will most likely be back-up / competition to Tielemans, whenever I watched Luton he was more like Tielemans than any of our other midfielders, he wasn't and isn't a DM, and wasn't even playing that deep, he might have dropped deep to pick the ball up and help Luton start attacks because perhaps they had no other players good enough on the ball to do that, but that was it, if anything in general play he was more attack minded that defensive minded

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Last time with us he looked like a world beater for a few months, but by the halfway mark of the season he was back being an utter waste of space again. I would seriously not trust a few good months at Luton as any indication that he has suddenly become a reliable player - the last 7 or 8 years of evidence shows he has spent most of his career being a total waste of time and money, apart from a few isolated periods. This would be a really disappointing signing if it goes through.

He got injured as he was really hitting form, then was never the same player after. After seeing what the Don has done with players I trust him to get Barkley firing.

Posted (edited)

If Emery "likes him" then he sees him as coachable, which means he will improve.

Barkley is well suited to playing fewer minutes - he won't get the injuries as easily, and can spend time focusing on his overall fitness.
It may also help reduce the game time expected of Youri, who also struggles with injuries.
Anything to help McGinn play a bit less is a help, whilst Luiz is always going to have suspensions!

And he might be the sort of player to bully the lesser teams we might play across a season. Carabao/FA cup games; promoted teams; Man U; etc

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

He will never ever play as a DM for us, I find it almost comical that people think that that would be the case, watch games rather than go by Fbref, he wasn't anything like a DM for Luton, he might have not been playing as No.10 or whatever like he did earllier in his career, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly a DM in the vein of Chambers or Dendoncker lol. I'd be surprised if he ever played in a two man midfield for us, never mind as the DM in a two man midfield

If he signs he will most likely be back-up / competition to Tielemans, whenever I watched Luton he was more like Tielemans than any of our other midfielders, he wasn't and isn't a DM, and wasn't even playing that deep, he might have dropped deep to pick the ball up and help Luton start attacks because perhaps they had no other players good enough on the ball to do that, but that was it, if anything in general play he was more attack minded that defensive minded

I think you’re getting two hung up on the term “DM”. Luiz and Kamara are both DMs for example, but completely different. You rightly compare Barley to Youri, who has played quite a bit for us in the pivot, so no reason why RB can’t play deeper in certain games.

• Like 1

Although I'm for the deal. 

One concern would be Barkley thrives playing regularly. He won't come here and be a starter unless we had an injury crisis. Although I'd hope the busy schedule with the extra UCL games would help there. 

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

If Emery "likes him" then he sees him as coachable, which means he will improve.

Barkley is well suited to playing fewer minutes - he won't get the injuries as easily, and can spend time focusing on his overall fitness.

And he might be the sort of player to bully the lesser teams we might play across a season. Carabao/FA cup games; promoted teams; Man U; etc

No doubt Unai will have watched a shitload of Luton, probably saw Barkley stand out like he did with Rogers at Boro and thought 'get him in'.  It's the main reason I'm pretty comfortable about this, despite what I thought of him when he was here before.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Ha, you know as it all went ultimately tits up for him, my brain just automatically lumped him in under the Stevie Me-era.

Only just realised that I made the same mistake on Twitter. The way his time at Villa went. I could have sworn it was that season. 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Hard to tell if this is aimed at me, but for the avoidance of doubt I was just correcting your statement that he didn't play deep for Luton when there were occasions where he literally did so (seen by eyes, corroborated by pesky average position data).

Think it's a smart move for a lot of reasons. If we an ship Dendonker and replace him with Barkley then that's a decent upgrade. 

We'd still need to sign a DM though, probably let Tim go out. 

Â