Emiliano Martínez

hippo

36 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I just think that if the price is right.. Sell him

The problem is. If we are building the pieces of a formidable team and management staff that can challenge around European places, EMI is absolutely one of the few pieces that we have in place right now. Kamara is one, Emery is one, you could the argue the case for Luiz, Watkins etc. If you sell Martinez, you place a question mark back over one of our few key pieces that we hold.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Not sure that's the correct approach to the transfer market for us, tbh. Look at Spurs, do they cash in on their MVPs? No, they fight tooth and nail to keep them, and I think it's absolutely fair to say they would not still be top four right now without likes of Kane and Son. By rights the rest of that squad certainly have no business being up there.

We should be doing everything we can to keep Emi, full stop, IMO.

The difference is that Spurs are consistently a top 5 club and we are not..

/

We all have difference in opinions, I just think if a club offers £85- 90+ million for Emi then we should sell him..

There are clubs that have finished above us with worse Goalkeepers..

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

The difference is that Spurs are consistently a top 5 club and we are not..

/

We all have difference in opinions, I just think if a club offers £85- 90+ million for Emi then we should sell him..

There are clubs that have finished above us with worse Goalkeepers..

You sell a keeper for 85-90 million every club in Europe will hold you ransom for the replacement. 

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

You get nowhere by selling your best players.

I sometimes cannot understand the mentality of posters who seem to have no ambition for the club.

One persons 'no ambition', is anothers 'stark football reality'.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 11:33, AntrimBlack said:

You get nowhere by selling your best players.

I sometimes cannot understand the mentality of posters who seem to have no ambition for the club.

Brighton / Brentford / most teams outside England say hi etc etc etc 

You get nowhere by not making plans and scouting for replacements for every player in your squad. The best thing to do in modern football is be ready to buy a replacement / upgrade when someone offers money you can't refuse. Brentford bought in Watkins and Maupay before Vibe left, then they sell Maupay and promote Watkins, sell Watkins and bring in Toney, you can bet they've been following 2/3 options for Toney long before the betting accusations began. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 3

I think we need to do everything we can to keep Dibu at the club but if it becomes obvious that he's keen to go and we get the kind of offer that is way above a price you could realistically label him at, then I hope we've got a strong shortlist of impressive replacements. 

It's a big if but I could see a situation where a team offers £60mil for Martinez and Pickford becomes available after Evertons relegation. It's a step back in terms of keeping but a step forward in distribution and an extra £35mil towards a statement forward / winger

40 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Brighton / Brentford / most teams outside England say hi etc etc etc 

You get nowhere by not making plans and scouting for replacements for every player in your squad. The best thing to do in modern football is be ready to buy a replacement / upgrade when someone offers money you can't refuse. Brentford bought in Watkins and Maupay before Vibe left, then they sell Maupay and promote Watkins, sell Watkins and bring in Toney, you can bet they've been following 2/3 options for Toney long before the betting accusations began. 

Not sure what your point is here , have they won anything or competed for a top 4 finish? 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

I think we need to do everything we can to keep Dibu at the club but if it becomes obvious that he's keen to go and we get the kind of offer that is way above a price you could realistically label him at, then I hope we've got a strong shortlist of impressive replacements. 

It's a big if but I could see a situation where a team offers £60mil for Martinez and Pickford becomes available after Evertons relegation. It's a step back in terms of keeping but a step forward in distribution and an extra £35mil towards a statement forward / winger

If we got £60m for Martinez you’d better believe Everton would want £50m for Pickford when we came after him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

If we got £60m for Martinez you’d better believe Everton would want £50m for Pickford when we came after him.

I would honestly need a break from Villa if we replaced Martinez with Pickford. I couldn't watch us I don't think.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I would honestly need a break from Villa if we replaced Martinez with Pickford. I couldn't watch us I don't think.

Oh agreed absolutely my point is just he would be horribly expensive if we had just sold our goalie for a record amount.

Â