Emiliano Martínez

hippo

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Livescore had Olsen to start in predicted lineup. Did they know something or just a blunder?

They knew he was suspended for the 1st leg.

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

No, no and hell no.  Just cannot do it. 

Ive got no pride at the moment if secures CL football so I will be cheering them on & singing blue moon if that what it takes 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Ive got no pride at the moment if secures CL football so I will be cheering them on & singing blue moon if that what it takes 🤣

Me too. Liverpool and Chelsea haven’t got much to play for and I’d rather City win the league than Arsenal anyway. 

Hopefully Emi is back soon anyway and we finish the job off ourselves. 

24 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Seems like gonna be tight for the second leg, big win at home would be really nice 

Need him for 2nd leg in case it goes to pens!

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We have a fantastic record against them. No need for that. 

Yeah, but we've won 2 games from the 8 in which Robin Olsen has kept goal over the last 3 seasons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We have a fantastic record against them. No need for that. 

We do, but we have a terrible record with Olsen in goal. I really do not trust him in goal, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

We do, but we have a terrible record with Olsen in goal. I really do not trust him in goal, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

It's not that terrible.  Strangely, as well, he's played a comparatively large amount of games against the better sides:

Wins with Olsen in goal:  Spurs, Hibs (twice), Legia, Burnley
Draws with Olsen in goal:  Brentford, Chelsea
Losses with Olsen in goal:  Man City, Stevenage, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Everton

He's not a great keeper, he won't be here after this season but he's not a completely hopeless guy in goal at all.  The drop off from Martinez to Olsen is big, but he's still good enough for us to beat, say, Brighton.  If we can't do that it'll be because the rest of the starting eleven haven't turned up rather than just Olsen.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not that terrible.  Strangely, as well, he's played a comparatively large amount of games against the better sides:

Wins with Olsen in goal:  Spurs, Hibs (twice), Legia, Burnley
Draws with Olsen in goal:  Brentford, Chelsea
Losses with Olsen in goal:  Man City, Stevenage, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Everton

He's not a great keeper, he won't be here after this season but he's not a completely hopeless guy in goal at all.  The drop off from Martinez to Olsen is big, but he's still good enough for us to beat, say, Brighton.  If we can't do that it'll be because the rest of the starting eleven haven't turned up rather than just Olsen.

I know, he's obviously not a terrible keeper in any way. He's decent.

But the difference in quality between him & Emi is what does it for me. You can see how the defense is less confident when he's at the back which affects our overall mental side of the game. When there's less trust, there's less confidence and more likely that a mistake will be made. 

Oh well, it is what it is and maybe us knowing that it'll be Olsen and not Martinez between the sticks will better prepare the squad. I hope he plays his best games for us, because these are both pivotal games in our season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Might be able to make Brighton if all goes well...

I wouldn't risk him if he is touch and go. We are more than capable of picking up a result at Brighton without him, and a point will probably he enough.

Rather have him fully fit for the semi and final, plus the last 2 games of the season, instead of taking risks with his injury.

This is certainly not a criticism of Emi, on the contrary.....but we have come to rely on him too much. imo.

I think when he is out, it's as much a indictment on our defence, as it is on Olsen.

Sure there is no comparison.....but defenders should be protecting, better than they do.

At the level we are at now, talented shooters will score from outside the box.....they have to be closed down, and challenged......The goalie should be the LAST line of defence, not the only line of defence, and Emi has saved us too often, for my comfort.

Emi is exceptional, and we have come to expect, too much imo......A goalkeeper as talented as Emi should be winning the clean sheets award, not Raya......that IMO is down to who is in front of them.

However...I will choose to say, why Goalies play out from the back with short passes directly in front of goal as opposed to playing to the side, I simply don't know......Raya was a perfect example of a donut, who nearly blew our away win( supporting Arsenal on the day)

Any feisty presser, can easily, create a turnover and score.....its an unnecessary risk imo.

I cringe when Emi does it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Been watching Villa for over 50 years and I cannot remember a season with so many injuries, from Day One at Newcastle all the way to today.

Uncanny.

Makes our position all the more incredible.

Injuries started a couple of days before the season started with Buendia. It's been insane.

• Like 1

Â