Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Pickford recently signed a new deal. He ain't leaving them - no other club is going to pay a big fee or give him the contract he gets there.

There will be a relegation clause somewhere in that new deal, Everton won’t be paying him 5m+ per year in the Championship.

11 hours ago, tinker said:

Not sure what your point is here , have they won anything or competed for a top 4 finish? 

Not sure what your point is?

I was directly responding to someone saying that you get nowhere selling your best players and you have no ambition if you're fine with your club selling their best players. 

that's not unambitious, it's just a part of football. The same goes for your top 4 finish comment? It's not the 80's / 90's anymore. 

The last team to break into the Top 4 was Leicester and since then they've been in the top 4 zero times. The team before them to do it was Man City and they've been there ever since. 

You need a miracle, decades of history competing at the top or the wealthiest people in the world to use you for sportswashing. The only other thing you can do is be a plucky Brentford or Brighton boxing clever and overachieving and hoping one day you might have a good league cup run and finish 6th if you're an English club. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

I was directly responding to someone saying that you get nowhere selling your best players and you have no ambition if you're fine with your club selling their best players. 

that's not unambitious, it's just a part of football. The same goes for your top 4 finish comment? It's not the 80's / 90's anymore. 

The last team to break into the Top 4 was Leicester and since then they've been in the top 4 zero times. The team before them to do it was Man City and they've been there ever since. 

You need a miracle, decades of history competing at the top or the wealthiest people in the world to use you for sportswashing. The only other thing you can do is be a plucky Brentford or Brighton boxing clever and overachieving and hoping one day you might have a good league cup run and finish 6th if you're an English club. 

You use Leicester as an example who since selling their better players have struggled. I would argue that if Grealish hadn't been sold we would be close to the top 4 this season. Even teams like Palace manage to hold onto their best players , Spurs as well who have won nothing in years, west ham is another example. 

The message selling sends out to the rest of your players is that the project has a limited chance of success and to get it you have to move. We have took 20 years to get a decent keeper, he's only 30 we need to build a defence around him.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

You use Leicester as an example who since selling their better players have struggled. I would argue that if Grealish hadn't been sold we would be close to the top 4 this season. Even teams like Palace manage to hold onto their best players , Spurs as well who have won nothing in years, west ham is another example. 

The message selling sends out to the rest of your players is that the project has a limited chance of success and to get it you have to move. We have took 20 years to get a decent keeper, he's only 30 we need to build a defence around him.  

You can’t put spurs in the same bracket as palace and West Ham in your argument, they aren’t remotely similar. West Ham or Palace haven’t had a player in the bracket of grealish or Martinez in as long as I can remember, Rice won’t be at West Ham next season too.  And the Leicester point from skarroki is completely valid, Leicester didn’t want to sell their best players but it’s a part of the game, grealish is the best example of how hard it is to keep your best player. The top 4 is unbelievably hard to crack. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, tinker said:

To be near the top 4 we would have to have accumulated nearly 50% more points than we currently have.

To think Grealish alone could do this is pretty out there for me. Especially when he is out for fair chunks of time injured.

• Like 1

I don't believe Emi is going anywhere soon, he's won the biggest trophy in the world and now the biggest achievement on his mind is helping us get to the promised land..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

There will be a relegation clause somewhere in that new deal, Everton won’t be paying him 5m+ per year in the Championship.

Even so. We ain't signing him on the remote chance he leaves. If Dibu leaves, I can seeing us only getting a keeper from La Liga.

Some harsh reviews of Pickford here. He’s a great keeper and a psychopath which I think you kind of need in a keeper. He’s obviously no Martinez but if Martinez did leave we could do a lot worse than Pickford if he could be picked up relatively cheap. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Some harsh reviews of Pickford here. He’s a great keeper and a psychopath which I think you kind of need in a keeper. He’s obviously no Martinez but if Martinez did leave we could do a lot worse than Pickford if he could be picked up relatively cheap. 

He’s an average premier league keeper who in all fairness shouldn’t be England no 1. He can pull some amazing saves but way to rash for my liking you need a calm head behind a back 4 especially in a team that plays out the back like we do. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He's awful and does not fit our style of playing out from the back at all.

• Shocked 1

We really cannot easily replace him. Just do not want to start next season with a new keeper whoever they are - it will take time for them to click with the back 4 and they will be on big wages, I don't see how the financial benefit outweighs the upheaval this will cause - we do not want upheaval, at all costs. Plus I have a signed pic of him on my fridge (stole it from the kids). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

We really cannot easily replace him. Just do not want to start next season with a new keeper whoever they are - it will take time for them to click with the back 4 and they will be on big wages, I don't see how the financial benefit outweighs the upheaval this will cause - we do not want upheaval, at all costs. Plus I have a signed pic of him on my fridge (stole it from the kids). 

You stole your kids fridge

Thats cold that is

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Pickford recently signed a new deal. He ain't leaving them - no other club is going to pay a big fee or give him the contract he gets there.

Yeah who would take a silly contract off Everton's hands.

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You can’t put spurs in the same bracket as palace and West Ham in your argument, they aren’t remotely similar. West Ham or Palace haven’t had a player in the bracket of grealish or Martinez in as long as I can remember, Rice won’t be at West Ham next season too.  And the Leicester point from skarroki is completely valid, Leicester didn’t want to sell their best players but it’s a part of the game, grealish is the best example of how hard it is to keep your best player. The top 4 is unbelievably hard to crack. 

West ham have Rice and palace have Zaha , Spurs are competing with the top 4 and are exactly what we should be comparing ourselves to if we want to get where they are . 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 02:56, skarroki said:

Leicester was going to do it two times on row, but somehow kept lose silly points until they lost their place. It’s not as if they were that far, but they went into some relegation form to get out of top 4 one of those years.

22 hours ago, Spoony said:

He isn't a great keeper. No coincidence that Everton have been in a minus goal difference in 5 of the 6 seasons he has been a starter

He is a Championship keeper at best

On 03/03/2023 at 07:50, Tomaszk said:

What a man.

Sounds like he's given the same out of context/misquoted answer he gave L'Equipe a month back when everyone was sure he's off this summer...  He's the one player I can see Emery doing everything he can to keep here and build around over the next few seasons.  Everyone else is much easier to replace if we do get a good offer for them. 

Â