Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Earlier today, I rewatched the extended 10-15 minute highlights from all our games under Emery so far.  I noticed a lot of little things and trends about our play that I hadn't when watching every match live the first go around, but the biggest thing which stood out to me is just how many points Emi Martinez has won us on his own.  It's unreal how many world class saves Dibu has made for us, just under Emery's watch, not to mention under Smith & Gerrard.  

I don't want to lose him this summer...  Unless someone comes in with a 100+ million pound offer for him and he really has his heart set on leaving, we shouldn't even entertain the idea of letting him go because it would be extremely hard to replace him with someone that has just 80% of his quality.  I would love nothing more than to see him winning a penalty shootout for the Villa at Wembley while winding up the opposition like he has done for Argentina.  

Very happy for him winning this award today and that he's finally getting recognition for his ability outside of Argentina & Villa/Arsenal.  Other clubs' fans absolutely despise him on the level of a Luiz Suarez/Ronaldo type player both for his shithousing and his genuine world class ability to keep us in games we shouldn't be in.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think there are a couple of better keepers than him around, in the same way as I thought one or two like Baresi were probably slightly better than McGrath. But the point of comparison is that I never realistically thought, after McGrath, that we would once again have someone in the discussion as the best player in their position in the world. Cherish it as these things go by quickly.

Yeah I agree. He is a good goalkeeper but not the best in the world. He has won this award because of the World Cup and not because of his performances for the year at Villa.

That said, it's great for the club to have a player win such an award and it shows you don't have to be playing for CL club to do it.*

*(Just winning the world cup with Messi in your team will do)

Well done Emi. 

Seeing the clip of him walking up and collecting the trophy along with the speech is surreal. The company he’s keeping and the people he walks past to just collect the trophy is insane. Messi’s smile when he wins it says it all.

What a player, what an achievement. The fact he plays for us beggars belief really. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Just looking at the sky sports article.

He's not mentioned in the headline at all.

They really do hate us, if it were Nick Pope at Newcastle his name would be present and in bold and italics.

I thought you were being really touchy, but I read it, he finally gets mentioned half way down, isn't included in any of the photos, comes after most of the women's award winners, and this is all they have to say about him:rolleyes:

Elsewhere, Emiliano Martinez's World Cup heroics for Argentina saw him named the best men's goalkeeper

How exactly does Martinez win "World's best goalkeeper", but in the very same awards ceremony not get into the "Men's World 11", and is behind a player he beat to the previous award? :D 

Edit: Page behind on that discussion. Mental though

Edited by Davkaus

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Copa America, World Cup, Golden Glove, World’s Best Keeper. Some achievements by the Villa number 1. 

The first three had to lead the last one really. 

It's not like it was solely a Messi show in any of those tournament wins, although he did of course heavily contribute. But there were very key moments of game winning actions by Martinez as well.

A few penalty shootouts, the save in the last seconds of the world cup final to name the most obvious. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that without Emi they probably aren't winning both the Copa and the World Cup, and possibly not either.

Deserved to win the award this year. There is nothing more he could have done. Let's hope this is another boost for him and he steps up another level, he's done it before. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

He surely has to go down as our best ever keeper now. 

dont see how he couldnt be.

when was the last time Villa ever had a player that was actually oficially awarded "the best player in the world" in their position?

sounds surreal just saying it tbh.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Aston Villa: How Emi Martinez became world’s best goalkeeper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64568155

i find the bit about Cutler proposing Emi based on certain criteria, where as Lange was looking solely at save percentages and clean sheets etc (so Emi didnt come up towards the top of the list & wasnt being considered at all by Lange).

I do wonder sometimes with Lange, if he is too deep down the rabbit hole with stats and forgets that stats, while very useful, definitely do not replace common sense and the eye test (not in all area's, but football still requires a balanced view), they work in conjunction with each other, it would definitely explain to me why Lange has brought in some of the players he has, ie: based on nothing but stats, without any consideration of how those stats apply to reality, or what league, or styles, or anything other than X/Y/Z.

note: i work a lot with statistical analysis myself, a lot, so i do understand how critical and important they can be to understanding things in a "probably" unbiased way, as well as allowing you to truly match data and information that a normal eye just cant see, or that a human brain cant understand, but at the same time, over analysis at the exclusion of everything else, also risks missing important real world things that data misses, its a bit of a double-edged sword and i think its easy to forget that sometimes, data can be as misleading as human observation, if not used correctly.

Lange was here just 5 weeks when we signed Emi. I doubt the Arsenal 2nd choice keeper was ever needed on his radar in Copenhagen

Cutler was also apparently keen on Butland too so it works both ways that he might have got that one wrong

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Copa America, World Cup, Golden Glove, World’s Best Keeper. Some achievements by the Villa number 1. 

and a win at Old Trafford in a Villa jersey

Only thing missing is a 3rd round FA Cup win over United

Â