Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Emi is the best keeper we have had for years, I would be very concerned, if in the short term at least, we decided to move him on. It would sound big alarm bells for me with the club and where it is meant to be going. He is on a long contract, if the club doesn't make major improvements in the next season maybe then we would have to look at this, but if next season isn't significantly better than this season then things will be going very wrong at the club.

14 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Emi is the best keeper we have had for years, I would be very concerned, if in the short term at least, we decided to move him on. It would sound big alarm bells for me with the club and where it is meant to be going. He is on a long contract, if the club doesn't make major improvements in the next season maybe then we would have to look at this, but if next season isn't significantly better than this season then things will be going very wrong at the club.

We have a keeper who’s had an incredible trajectory in his career in a short space of time due to his international achievements, now coming into his thirty’s and seeing an opportunity to play European football which he has no guarantee with us for 2 possibly 3 seasons. He’s replaceable and we’ll benefit financially from it. Holding him to a contract would be insane, not that it’s even possible these days. 

19 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t think we are, but as usual the media have decided to sell him to a top 6 club. They can’t have him playing for Villa. 

I’m pretty sure though that we have a plan either way. The media haven’t woken up to the fact that we’re no longer the disorganised mess we’ve been for years before NSWE arrived. Long may their ignorance continue. 

To be fair to the media, he did come out and say as much himself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We have a keeper who’s had an incredible trajectory in his career in a short space of time due to his international achievements, now coming into his thirty’s and seeing an opportunity to play European football which he has no guarantee with us for 2 possibly 3 seasons. He’s replaceable and we’ll benefit financially from it. Holding him to a contract would be insane, not that it’s even possible these days. 

Well for starters he has not asked to leave. Until he does then the argument about not cashing in is mute. Of course if he was to want away then we would be asking for serious money for him. He hasn't so far asked to leave and as such he is our best keeper for possibly 20 years so keeping him would be the sensible thing to do. As I said a lot will depend on the owners ambitions this summer as to where a few of our better players see themselves in the coming seasons. 

40 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think he's here for one more year at least....

Yeah I think his Agent will know how much real interest there is in signing him this summer by now. There just aren't top clubs who could afford him and need a GK this summer.

Plus, his club form and stats aren't elite. His image and his performances for Argentina are excellent. He needs to keep improving. He is only learning now to be playing from the back. 

I'm kind of fine either way. He'll only go if we get seriously big money and presumably if Unai thinks he's not going to fill the role he wants from a keeper - there's no reason to sell otherwise. If he stays, he's still the best keeper we've had in years and is right in his peak years. I still think he and the coaches should be able to keep improving his distribution from the back and with a couple of upgrades around him we'll get better in playing that way.

But, please, please, please cut out the time wasting and yellow cards.

Edited by rubberman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, CVByrne said:

David Raya has 1 year left on his contract. We can be very smart about this if we have genuine interest in Martinez. We can bank a big profit and choose to have that in this year or next years accounts. 

Who would buy Emi though? Chelsea, he wouldn't join Spurs would he. United will stick with De Gea. Nobody else in market for one who could pay 60m+

I like Sanchez of Brighton.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

depends in what context, was it a loaded question, by the media?

on the other hand every player in all of Europes top leagues, wants to play in the champions league, so it a moot point.

If Unai is uncomfortable with him, he will engineer a move.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Well for starters he has not asked to leave. Until he does then the argument about not cashing in is mute. Of course if he was to want away then we would be asking for serious money for him. He hasn't so far asked to leave and as such he is our best keeper for possibly 20 years so keeping him would be the sensible thing to do. As I said a lot will depend on the owners ambitions this summer as to where a few of our better players see themselves in the coming seasons. 

Not sure I totally agree with this.  

Selling Emi could be ambitious just as it could be not, it will be very much dependent on the total business we do.  

I love Emi and in no way want him to go but if we sell him for top dollar, bring in a great keeper that fits Emery’s style and heavily invest in the rest of the team then that to me is still ambitious.  

A player coming or going can’t be seen in isolation of the club’s ambition.

I hope we build around players like Emi and Kamara but if Emery decides to sell him and reinvest that money to a keeper he wants and the extra funds from that plus all the other treasure chest we invest heavily in the team then I’m not going to complain.  

I’m over focusing on individual players, it’s all about letting Emery build the team he wants and I trust him.  

I don’t think Emi will leave, I don’t think there is a team that’ll pay top dollar for him and I love him playing for us so I don’t want him going anywhere but as long as the squad investment is there in the summer by the club and Emery builds what he wants I’m not going to lose sleep about individuals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Risso said:

The interview he was asked about winning the Champions League with Villa but has been misquoted to say he wants to play in it

8 hours ago, QldVilla said:

For me the context of Emery’s conversation with the reporter after the match has been lost. He was asked by the reporter wasn’t him bringing it up to throw Martinez under the bus.

He said he didn’t tell Martiniz to go forward or never asked a keeper to go forward becuase of the stats involved. Then went on about not being happy with the team performance.

Honestly, this.  It's been completely lost in translation.  Emery says something like "I never ask my goalkeepers to go forward because there's a 5% chance we score from that but a 20% chance the opposition score on the break".  It's not him criticising Martinez, it's him saying that the goalkeeper going forward doesn't add anything and then he goes on to say where we were bad.

• Like 1

My view is everyone has a price and the club are in a good position to cash in if it helps fund several better players of an aspriational quality that we clearly need to kick on. Without knowing, but assuming we dont have enough headroom under FFP to go as far as we like/need so any windfall, it might suit the club.

The down side is we lose one of our very best players, and we all know spending a big windfall isnt always the golden ticket, but thats not a reason to not invest in next level players. But we have found a player that is the quality we need, it would be a great shame to lose him but we will always suffer better player churn unless we are top 3 or 4.

I do trust Emery, I think those he brings in will work although you can never legislate for things just not clicking with individuals. I dont know if Martinez is the type of player that suits Emery's system, if he isnt then we are better off letting him go while his stock is high.

I think Martinez has been loyal, genuinely likes it here and would happily stay (without a Jack-like will he/wont he every summer) if player and club agreed new terms to put this to bed.

Edited by thunderball

So..

He is our best goalkeeper of recent memory, however this does not mean that he is exempt of criticism.

Despite saying a few months ago that the time wasting didn't bother me it has begun to gripe me now..

I just feel like the time wasting is not progressive football, I would rather our team try to keep the ball with short passes.

Emi is in a weird position in terms of his career, he is playing catch up because he has peaked later in his career and now he has accumulated this success in a span of 2/3 years of first team football.. Remarkable tbh

So I understand his eagerness to progress and I don't blame him if he wants to move on because he is high level and is currently the top 5 Goalkeeper in world football right now..

But if he does not get on with Unai then he has to go, there can't be two different voices in the dressing room..

• Like 1

I think everyone, including Emi, needs to take a breath. The club and him are and have been a really good fit for each other, and he’s single handedly won us many points in the previous couple of seasons.

I think he’s one excellent game/one game winning save away from having the wider fan base fawning over him again, and likewise I think the club are a transfer window away from delivering him the team that can get him European football at a place that adores him.

Personally, I think he’s an amazing goalkeeper and his shithousery in something I much prefer in our tent than someone else’s.

• Like 1

Â