Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Martinez was excellent last year and as important to the team as Jack.

The defence excelled due to the confidence they had in Martinez and as mentioned here Martinez organising the defence.  With the Defence being confident the Midfield and Attackers felt more freedom to attack.  The Previous Season we held back more to stop the other team scoring.  I feel that was because of the lack of Confidence in the Goalie.  A big character like Pepe coming in changed that for our final run in, even if his goalkeeping skills were not what they used to be.

In a way I feel the team could survive losing Jack more than Emi.

The Test is that Second Season Syndrome.  I know Martinez has been around a while but the best Goalies (As an Oldie thinking Shilton, Clemance and JIMMY JIMMY RIMMER) they were very consistent week in, week out.  EM announced himself as a top quality goalie at the end of that season with Arsenal, showed he could do it for a whole Season with us. 

Its looking good at the moment.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I mean in the same way as a Nigel Spink or Jimmy Rimmer. He has only been with us one season.

I wasn’t around when Spink or Rimmer played for us, I saw Bosnich and Friedel. For me, Martinez is better than both

• Like 3

Jimmy Rimmer, Nigel Spink and Mark Bosnich were all exceptional keepers for many years. Martinez is up there and could surpass them should his form continue..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I wasn’t around when Spink or Rimmer played for us, I saw Bosnich and Friedel. For me, Martinez is better than both

Rimmer was a vital part to our title winning side and was consistency personified. As for Spink, every Villa fan knows how he became a legend, but he was also a regular for what seemed like a hundred years. Martinez is top drawer, without doubt. However, it remains to be seen whether he can retain the standard he has set. I think he can, but it's not a given. 

On 03/07/2021 at 11:16, alreadyexists said:

Black Forest Gato?

From what I could find he is called Dibu Martinez in Argentina. “Dibu” coming from dibujo meaning drawing or sketch in Spanish.

The story goes it came from his youth coach Pepe Santoro because of the “cartoonish freckles” he had back then :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, burchy said:

Has anyone noticed his number in the Argentina squad? If it’s the same as this season at Villa then that might point to him having a favourite.

He has got no. 23 for them even though they have a no. 26.

If Villa fans can find the video of the shootout you should watch it.

Emi trash talking like a boss! Obviously been studying with Jed Steer with those stares at the Colombians.

In all honesty, Argentina owe a big thank you to Neil Cutler tonight. Emi was laser focussed.

Also Messi hugged him after scoring his peno so obviously....

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

• Like 1

I actually think Emi is our first world class keeper.

Nigel Spink had world class games but could slip up when the pressure was off and Bosnich could but liked to party too much.

Emi really wants it - you can tell.

• Like 2

Â