Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

😳

He's the 3rd best keeper in the PL for me, Alison and Ederson are better

In pure keeping skills he's as good as those 2 but their on the ball stuff and how they then become effectively an 11th outfield player elevates them to another level 

In my honest opinion, he has been far and away better than both of those two in terms of saves, organisation of his defence and confidence he gives to his defence over that time period. Also Alisson especially had quite a few fumbles with his feet that cost goals. Can't remember any from Martinez.

Catching (both shots and crosses) he's miles above anyone else I've ever seen. It's almost cartoonish.

The stats support him as well I think. For instance, he constantly overperforms post shot expected goals against (most important individual stat for analysing for value of a goalkeeper to a team imo) by an alarming amount. Largest overperformance by this metric in the top 5 European leagues since the start of that run in the Arsenal team (+11.0psxGA in 46.6 games).

Oblak is a stats beast as well, difference being that he has been for the best part of a decade.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

In my honest opinion, he has been far and away better than both of those two in terms of saves, organisation of his defence and confidence he gives to his defence over that time period. Also Alisson especially had quite a few fumbles with his feet that cost goals. Can't remember any from Martinez.

Catching (both shots and crosses) he's miles above anyone else I've ever seen. It's almost cartoonish.

The stats support him as well I think. For instance, he constantly overperforms post shot expected goals against (most important individual stat for analysing for value of a goalkeeper to a team imo) by an alarming amount. Largest overperformance by this metric in the top 5 European leagues since the start of that run in the Arsenal team (+11.0psxGA in 46.6 games).

Oblak is a stats beast as well, difference being that he has been for the best part of a decade.

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

😳

He's the 3rd best keeper in the PL for me, Alison and Ederson are better

In pure keeping skills he's as good as those 2 but their on the ball stuff and how they then become effectively an 11th outfield player elevates them to another level 

Alison was awful the last year. He's definitely a better keeper than them and his distribution is fantastic as well. Ederson has the edge on distribution but Martinez just is better at catching the ball, saving it and claiming crosses. 

8 hours ago, burchy said:

Amazing keeper, simple as that. 

just compare him to Pickford in our goal, Emi is streets ahead, how we got him off Arsenal i have no idea. That goodfellas gif of everyone laughing comes to mind (I haven’t worked out how to add gifs yet..lol)

Just a thought.  Have you tried clicking the box labeled GIF on the bar at the top when creating a post? 

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I do hope agent Martinez is in Leo’s ear putting in a good word about us…

Then Messi can call Jack and tell him to stay and ESR and tell him to sign … 

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Watched him the other night for Argentina. He made some decent saves, especially those ones at the near post he's so good at. He has that most importantl asset for a goalkeeper, massive self - confidence and it's so evident in the way he commands his territory. 

I really hope he becomes the legend he can, with us.

52 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watched him the other night for Argentina. He made some decent saves, especially those ones at the near post he's so good at. He has that most importantl asset for a goalkeeper, massive self - confidence and it's so evident in the way he commands his territory. 

I really hope he becomes the legend he can, with us.

For me, he already is a legend 

• Like 1

Â