Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Amazing keeper, simple as that. 

just compare him to Pickford in our goal, Emi is streets ahead, how we got him off Arsenal i have no idea. That goodfellas gif of everyone laughing comes to mind (I haven’t worked out how to add gifs yet..lol)

• Like 1

Has Emi become our best player? I don’t mean highest value player because keepers will never be valued as highly as forward players but more his status and ranking above his peers. He is in the world’s top 10 keepers in my view. Maybe even top 5. He is our best signing since McGrath.

19 minutes ago, burchy said:

Amazing keeper, simple as that. 

just compare him to Pickford in our goal, Emi is streets ahead, how we got him off Arsenal i have no idea. That goodfellas gif of everyone laughing comes to mind (I haven’t worked out how to add gifs yet..lol)

Goodfellas GIF

There you go Burchy and well said.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Has Emi become our best player? I don’t mean highest value player because keepers will never be valued as highly as forward players but more his status and ranking above his peers. He is in the world’s top 10 keepers in my view. Maybe even top 5. He is our best signing since McGrath.

As far as I can see for this past year and a bit since he got his chance at arsenal until now he is the second best goalkeeper in the world behind Oblak.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He’s our Grealish at GK 👌

Top man, top player.

His ability is exceptional but his personality makes him even greater, proper captain material imo. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

As far as I can see for this past year and a bit since he got his chance at arsenal until now he is the second best goalkeeper in the world behind Oblak.

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

to think that Wolves had him on loan in 2015/16, and Reading on loan in 2019/20.

He has now played more games for Villa than any other club, unbelievable considering how good he is.....doesnt make sense!

What a keeper, what a character, love him.

17 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

😳

He's the 3rd best keeper in the PL for me, Alison and Ederson are better

In pure keeping skills he's as good as those 2 but their on the ball stuff and how they then become effectively an 11th outfield player elevates them to another level 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sometimes it just comes together for players, that might happen at 17 it might happen at 27, look at Vardy.

Hes a great keeper/player now, doesn’t mean he was the same 5 years ago. 

Weird though that he played for Reading in 2019/20, isn’t that basically just before we bought him?  Did Reading concede less than usual that year?

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Weird though that he played for Reading in 2019/20, isn’t that basically just before we bought him?  Did Reading concede less than usual that year?

I’m assuming it was immediately prior to him getting his chance in the arsenal first XI.

None of us followed his career closely enough to know what transpired prior to him joining us, could be a multitude of reasons as to why it never quite worked out for him, I’m just beyond delighted we have him now and that he’s probably about the best version of himself he could possibly be.

Really needs a much improved contract  if we are keep hold of him, so called bigger clubs would be mad to not start looking at him. Complete bargain buy our best peice of business last summer and needs tying down.

20 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

What were other team seeing, given that he didn't actually play that much for them? I am confused!

he played all of Wolves games on loan until he got injured.

Its also looks like he played all games for Reading after he went on loan (Jan to May)

In terms of Arsenal, they obviously fell in to the trap of "the backup goalkeeper but never the bride" type thing, Leno is a good goalkeeper who gave them an ultimatum, so i suppose its "go with a guy who has a proven pedigree", or go with a guy that "has showed glimpses of brilliance when he has played", they obviously chose Leno.

I am amazed that nobody saw his ability while out on loan etc, is he a late developer or something???

It was clear with Arsenal when he played prior to leaving, that he was quality, but as with anything.....maybe people wondered if it was a short term peak or something?

Regardless, i dont really care, we got him, and i think he could be our best goalkeeper in the last 20-30+ years if he continues to perform.

Amazing to think, that (in my opinion), we might be on a course where if Grealish stays and the club continues to progress, he could be the best player to ever play for the club (imo), and Martinez, if he stays and the club continues to develop, might go down as the best keeper we have ever had.

fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

Emi showed his class and quality when he finally got his chance for Arsenal, when Leno was injured. He was a major factor in them winning the FA cup & Charity Shield.

The return after Covid, up to the end of that season, he was clearly the standout and most in form keeper in the league.

We did so well to pounce and take advantage, Arsenal have been regretting it ever since…

• Like 1

Â