The AVFC FFP thread

4 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Then they have to comply with a modified FFP, I guess. 

This is the problem. The idea that we should throw out one FFP, to help a bunch of billionaires enjoy their play thing. That's great, for a handful of clubs. The rest of the clubs? Either they fall down the leagues, unable to spend because teams will essentially be ordered by owner net worth, or spend themselves in to oblivion in an attempt to compete.

As for the idea that FFP doesn't help. In the past 7 years, 2 teams (Bolton and Bury) have entered administration. The previous 7 years to that, 25 teams. I suspect the majority of these had nothing to do with dirty owners, it just had people with ambition who overspent and couldn't recoup the money. That ambition needs to be tempered to an extent, because it's not right that clubs can just disappear.

Just look an Anzi. Anzi ended up just selling everyone and getting relegated, because the owners list interest. I think Malaga and Monaco had similar issues.

40 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd even go as far as requiring owners to set up a trust account with a certain percentage of wage and transfer fees owing over the next 12 months, so that if the owner disappears and stops investing, the club can still get through to the next summer transfer window without being unable to pay players and staff.

There has to be some way of investing your own money in a business you own though. It's ludicrious that we can have the 3rd richest owners in the Premier League and be at risk of being relegated because we weren't allowed to spend. If we get relegated, it will cost us tens of millions of pounds, doing far more damage to our finances than any sort of spending would do. It's a broken system.

34 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

There's plenty of clubs who aren't owned by rich people who probably can't afford to put up an entire years running.

The Trust Fund idea could be used to cover additional losses, as in the current UEFA/PL FFP rules that allow a £30m extra annual loss (on top of the usual £15m) to be covered by owners, except that the additional loss would be unlimited as long as it is covered in advance. Seems like good suggestion.

54 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

As for the idea that FFP doesn't help. In the past 7 years, 2 teams (Bolton and Bury) have entered administration. The previous 7 years to that, 25 teams. I suspect the majority of these had nothing to do with dirty owners, it just had people with ambition who overspent and couldn't recoup the money. That ambition needs to be tempered to an extent, because it's not right that clubs can just disappear.

How many of those 25 were actually liquidated though? There might have only been two teams go into admin in the last seven years but one of these no longer exists. It wouldn’t matter if 60 clubs went into administration as long as they all came out the other end and continued to exist.

• 2 months later...

There's still no actual word from UEFA on any changes to FFP to take this shutdown period into account - they've made some noises about considerations, but they've also talked quite a lot about needing to ensure that adherence to the rules remains in place. 

There's some interest in terms of how government sponsored furloughing will be accounted for - does this count as income from an external source, like a sponsorship and can clubs therefore add it to their top line? 

UEFA are currently insisting that any outside investment should only be able to reduce a clubs debt rather than add to their ability to spend on their squads or infrastructure (coincidentally, the biggest debts in football are at the biggest clubs.)

I get the feeling that there are a number of accountants working incredibly hard at UEFA headquarters in Nyon to ensure they come up with a package that offers some sort of allowance within FFP for this period without accidentally creating a system that is fair to everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's still no actual word from UEFA on any changes to FFP to take this shutdown period into account - they've made some noises about considerations, but they've also talked quite a lot about needing to ensure that adherence to the rules remains in place. 

There's some interest in terms of how government sponsored furloughing will be accounted for - does this count as income from an external source, like a sponsorship and can clubs therefore add it to their top line? 

UEFA are currently insisting that any outside investment should only be able to reduce a clubs debt rather than add to their ability to spend on their squads or infrastructure (coincidentally, the biggest debts in football are at the biggest clubs.)

I get the feeling that there are a number of accountants working incredibly hard at UEFA headquarters in Nyon to ensure they come up with a package that offers some sort of allowance within FFP for this period without accidentally creating a system that is fair to everyone.

Yep.

They'll be terrified Newcastle are about to come crashing in ahead of Chelsea and Man Utd.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The guardian and other outlets state that apparently FFP has been removed for at least the 2020 season.

From what I read the only area that still needs to be complied with is losses of no more than 105m or something.

Now I'm not advocating us going stupid and putting the club at risk, but I do think regardless of whether we stay up or go down, we need to invest heavily (and intelligently), we probably wont have a better chance to lay a strong foundation than this summer.

FFP being removed for at least this year gives us the opportunity to flex our financial muscle, I hope we dont waste it.

Thoughts?

Edited by blandy
multiple threads, but all locked or out of date

As someone who always fails to understand how FFP works - I can at least glean from this that A) If we stay up we can throw some money at it. B - if we go down, and sell Jack, we are literally going to be the biggest spenders the Championship has ever seen.... i.e. £75 mill for Jack - all of it profit - £30 mill parachute payment, acceptable loss of £39 mill for championship, written off acceptable spend of 2019/20 of what £100 mill? - do we really get to play with £240 million next season? 

Edited by Jareth

If anything this means that the clubs with fantasy owners like PSG, Man City, Chelsea (Aston Villa) Newcastle if they are sold and so on can spend beyond their means if they want to.

Other clubs like Manure (who have already taken out a £200m loan) can also keep on spending money they do not have.

Clubs with normal owners can at least keep going without failing FFP.

It's great for us IF we stay up. It's fantastic for the state run clubs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is this about as relevant now as golden goals and Sep Blatter?

Works as intended. Keeps smaller clubs from catching up to the big ones.

They will always get away with stuff. Enough money will buy you free, but being well run and spending just that extra bit will get you nowhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MachoFantastico said:

With the City news expect teams to ignore FFP rules from now on. Just goes to show how pointless the whole thing was. Uefa really are useless though. 😃

Has it been confirmed why it was over-turned?

1 hour ago, MachoFantastico said:

With the City news expect teams to ignore FFP rules from now on. Just goes to show how pointless the whole thing was. Uefa really are useless though. 😃

Nothing to do with UEFA, was CAS who overruled it

Â