Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Unfortunately Joelinton and Haller are £40m players

He's comfortably better than both, not surprised if that's the asking fee or at least the benchmark they're using 

Is he? They were both quite good in the Bundesliga (a higher level than the SPL) before transferring to the PL. You never know how they're going to settle. He's definitely got a higher ceiling than those two in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is he? They were both quite good in the Bundesliga (a higher level than the SPL) before transferring to the PL. You never know how they're going to settle. He's definitely got a higher ceiling than those two in my opinion.

Joelinton scored 15 in 60 appearances in bundesliga, and Haller was a bit better and got 24 goals in 60 bundesliga appearances. I know SPL isn’t as good a league but Edouard got 44 in 77 appearances, a goal every 110mins. You never know though as you say, but from watching him I think Edouard is significantly better than both of those. 

2 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Have to decide whether he is worth a gamble? Up here he is a big fish in a small pond and has had the luxury of playing in the best side in the league where chances come on a regular basis to him and where he has been faced with SPL defenders and not those in the Premier League...........a big difference.  

Before he came to Celtic, Lee Griffiths and Dembele had a similar strike rate to Edouard so this type of goal scoring feat is common for the smellies.  It will all depend on his attitude and how he settles at his new club..................Dembele went on to Lyon where he still has a good goal scoring record so hoping if he does end up at Villa Park his career continues in the ascendancy as well.

What's your opinion on him making the step up? I get it's hard to predict and you might have some negative bias, but I trust you to give us a more balanced view than a Celtic fan!

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Joelinton scored 15 in 60 appearances in bundesliga, and Haller was a bit better and got 24 goals in 60 bundesliga appearances. I know SPL isn’t as good a league but Edouard got 44 in 77 appearances, a goal every 110mins. You never know though as you say, but from watching him I think Edouard is significantly better than both of those. 

Those two were also playing for teams in mid-table whereas Edouard plays for the dominant team in Scotland but as I said I think he has greater potential than those two. However, direct comparisons between them are quite difficult to make.

I do however think he would be a great signing and will in the end turn out to be better than those two.

Also Joelinton played in a different role (more of a Firmino role) for Hoffenheim, so not really a good comparison anyway. The way Newcastle have used him is crazy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Have to decide whether he is worth a gamble? Up here he is a big fish in a small pond and has had the luxury of playing in the best side in the league where chances come on a regular basis to him and where he has been faced with SPL defenders and not those in the Premier League...........a big difference.  

Before he came to Celtic, Lee Griffiths and Dembele had a similar strike rate to Edouard so this type of goal scoring feat is common for the smellies.  It will all depend on his attitude and how he settles at his new club..................Dembele went on to Lyon where he still has a good goal scoring record so hoping if he does end up at Villa Park his career continues in the ascendancy as well.

I was just about to type your first paragraph virtually word for word, how often would he score playing for Kilmarnock or Livingston even against SPL defenders. 

I wouldn't like to say how he'd cope........seen him be brilliant but also at times distinctly average. As I said it helps leading the line in the top side by miles in the SPL.  Anybody who stays fit for Celtic and has a modicum of talent is going to score goals for them.......chances are that frequent. 

The step up for Dembele worked at Lyon so hopefully it will be the same for Edouard.  It will all depend if he has a further gear in him to raise his game against  English Premier League defenders????

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

Just a brief point on the Joelinton and Haller £40m wasted argument. They may well both come good this season. As we've seen with our new signings, it can take time to settle into a new country and new team, we're always quick to write a player off for a slow start but that doesn't have to mean that they won't come good in the end. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Just a brief point on the Joelinton and Haller £40m wasted argument. They may well both come good this season. As we've seen with our new signings, it can take time to settle into a new country and new team, we're always quick to write a player off for a slow start but that doesn't have to mean that they won't come good in the end. 

I fully expect Haller too come good next year he's a quality player we should have signed him last year. 

Not so sure about Joelinton can't see him justifiying the price tbh.

• Sad 1

Comments from his agent, doesn't get any more ITK than that?

“I will speak with him. It is not crucial for Odsonne to be playing in the Champions League but it is important.

Koita added: “I heard of the interest from Aston Villa, I read it in the newspaper, and I think it’s true. But we have not had any contact with Aston Villa right now.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-celtic-transfers-edouard-18841772

EDIT: just realised it was posted by @DCJonah ages ago.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â