Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

Just now, rayk said:

AM (where he wants to play etc).

Maybe, but don't think that's the right position for him.

He has played best on the left side for us, and I honestly think we need someone a bit more robust and combative in the mifdield 3 to help mcginn and luiz.

Now they can be excellent ball players, but i think we need some bite also in midfield, grealish won't give that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Maybe, but don't think that's the right position for him.

He has played best on the left side for us, and I honestly think we need someone a bit more robust and combative in the mifdield 3 to help mcginn and luiz.

Now they can be excellent ball players, but i think we need some bite also in midfield, grealish won't give that.

No because he'll be the most advanced of three midfielders, dictating play. What does bite even mean any more? If you're physical, most of these idiot refs just blow up.

I'd like another midfielder for cover but I'm convinced Jack as a free roaming CAM is his best position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think a midfield 3 of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn would work against most opponents in this league and I also think Grealish is most effective at LW.

In the games last season where he did play in central midfield he ended up way too deep picking up the ball and getting closed down too easily.

Obviously getting 2 proper wide players with a bit of quality and pace and a attacker (Odsonne) who can cause trouble for the opponents would help this but I rather get a quality CM in and keep Grealish at LW.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't think a midfield 3 of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn would work against most opponents in this league and I also think Grealish is most effective at LW.

In the games last season where he did play in central midfield he ended up way too deep picking up the ball and getting closed down too easily.

Obviously getting 2 proper wide players with a bit of quality and pace and a attacker (Odsonne) who can cause trouble for the opponents would help this but I rather get a quality CM in and keep Grealish at LW.

It doesn't work. We got walked through by even the most rubbish team when he was in the midfield 3.

We also got terrible performances from luiz at the same time.

Jacks form, luiz form and the team performances were better and more solid with 3 hard working more physical/ more ball winner type players in the middle.

Whether that was just down to our wide players being poor, our forward not being mobile enough or a combination of everything I dont know.

But I do know we became defensively more solid and results were far better with a solid midfield 3 and Jack on the left.

When you get a successful team formation, changing it for the sake of it seems pointless.

Just improve the left side of midfield 3 from Connor, improve the right side of trez and improve the forward.

And get in a top keeper as heaton won't be fit and no one knows how he will recover in regards to his keeping abilities.

That in itself should in theory improve us significantly.

Edouard looks like not only can he score, he can join in deep to build attacks, power and pace AND being able to score means players like jack and any new right sided trickmeister  will have that bit more time and space as the forward will require 2 defenders to occupy him if it is someone with Edouards skill set.

4 players and fingers crossed no injuries.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 2

Just now, omariqy said:

IMO we need 2 better wide players but also to play a 4-2-3-1 formation. 2 sitting midfielders helps us be more solid and lets Grealish roam. 

For me if we are to play with Grealish as one of the central midfield 3 then sadly McGinn goes to the bench in favor of someone with other attributes.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

It doesn't work. We got walked through by even the most rubbish team when he was in the midfield 3.

We also got terrible performances from luiz at the same time.

Jacks form, luiz form and the team performances were better and more solid with 3 hard working more physical/ more ball winner type players in the middle.

Whether that was just down to our wide players being poor, our forward not being mobile enough or a combination of everything I dont know.

But I do know we became defensively more solid and results were far better with a solid midfield 3 and Jack on the left.

When you get a successful team formation, changing it for the sake of it seems pointless.

Just improve the left side of midfield 3 from Connor, improve the right side of trez and improve the forward.

And get in a top keeper as heaton won't be fit and no one knows how he will recover in regards to his keeping abilities.

That in itself should in theory improve us significantly.

Edouard looks like not only can he score, he can join in deep to build attacks, power and pace AND being able to score means players like jack and any new right sided trickmeister  will have that bit more time and space as the forward will require 2 defenders to occupy him if it is someone with Edouards skill set.

4 players and fingers crossed no injuries.

Hourihane is not a physical, ball winner type. Jack could play in his position and, if we had decent players up front, we'd lose nothing and gain so much, imo. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

For me if we are to play with Grealish as one of the central midfield 3 then sadly McGinn goes to the bench in favor of someone with other attributes.

I suppose it depends how Smith sees it, but for me McGinn is better suited to playing a defensive role in midfield than an attacking one, so would be able to accommodate Grealish fairly well.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't take last season as an example. At the time we were all over the shop. With better and / or more settled players around him, it will work. He can still drift left if needed, or anywhere he needs to.

I would say that he was most effective when roaming from a central position. It may have been the Championship but I don't think the opposition was a factor. He can have more involvement, be harder to counter and it just seems natural. Anyway, we'll see how Smith sees it.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Don't take last season as an example. At the time we were all over the shop. With better and / or more settled players around him, it will work. He can still drift left if needed, or anywhere he needs to.

I would say that he was most effective when roaming from a central position. It may have been the Championship but I don't think the opposition was a factor. He can have more involvement, be harder to counter and it just seems natural. Anyway, we'll see how Smith sees it.

All depends on what players we are able to bring in I imagine.

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yes and yes. On the last point, Smith knows full well that if Jack is going to be in with a shout next summer he needs to be challenging for a CM role, if we keep playing him as a LF he ain't getting picked. I understand any 'Villa first' arguments, but if we want to keep hold of our best player Smith might need to accommodate him.  That's why we need to sign right and left forwards this window, to flank him in a 4-2-3-1 set up. We'd also need another solid DM to play next to Luiz in a 4-2-3-1. I'm a big fan of McGinn but if we're going to kick on he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. No one should except Jack, imo. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

All depends on what players we are able to bring in I imagine.

Absolutely. They will be significantly better than El Ghazi, Samatta and Trez though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think Jack has all the attributes to play the same role as De Bruyne, with two more direct wingers out wide. 

Jack collects the ball deep when he is a LW which is so frustrating to see as this gives us less options when we are attacking. 

If De Bruyne was English do we think Southgate would find a place for him? Because he's like Jack, not a pacey winger, not a striker, not a DM, where could he play him? 

The answer of course to both players is the same, play them anywhere at the top end of the pitch and let them roam a bit. We're not good enough for a dedicated AM 90% of the time, if we want Jack at the top end of the pitch the available positions for him are LW, RW or ST. Playing him in midfield means he'll inevitably drop too deep as we will be under more pressure and will need that 3rd midfielder helping out. 

Also De Bruyne spends a lot of time as a right winger for City putting in amazing crosses. He's not just a "stand in the middle and be a playmaker" player and is perfectly happy bursting down the line and swinging in a cross into an area rather than necessarily picking a perfect pass every time. It's what makes him the best player in the world IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Hourihane is not a physical, ball winner type. Jack could play in his position and, if we had decent players up front, we'd lose nothing and gain so much, imo. 

But Connor has played that role, he was our defensive midfielder in several games both last season and the season we got promoted. He is more physical and more likely to man Mark than Jack does and only did it because he was asked to and was more reliable there than other players. This is whete we need to buy a better player.

We were literally walked through with Jack in the middle 3. He was surrounded and rendered ineffective in the majority of games and he also looked frustrated at being surrounded each game.

Having a midfield 3 where 1 player is given the ball 75% of the time who also is no good at tackling or winning defensive headers is literally wasting 33% of our midfield.

Why would you want to stifle jack and make not only him but the entire team less stable ? 

Â