Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

He was doing good things and trying hard. But nothing properly towards the goal. He’s improved on hold up play, and high balls. But the quality isn’t there at all. You don’t get a feeling once he gets the ball that a goal will come. Fair play to him for the header, but that was it.

I think it’s clear right now that we should start Ings (I prefer giving Archer the chance) for home games where we expect to attack. Keep Watkins against the good teams and some away games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He was doing good things and trying hard. But nothing properly towards the goal. He’s improved on hold up play, and high balls. But the quality isn’t there at all. You don’t get a feeling once he gets the ball that a goal will come. Fair play to him for the header, but that was it.

I think it’s clear right now that we should start Ings (I prefer giving Archer the chance) for home games where we expect to attack. Keep Watkins against the good teams and some away games.

I think the big issue is we don’t create chances for him. Or Ings. Good luck to Ings yesterday dealing with those hoofs up towards Southampton’s centre backs. Ings would end up dropping back to get the ball and leave us even more ineffective up top 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think the big issue is we don’t create chances for him. Or Ings. Good luck to Ings yesterday dealing with those hoofs up towards Southampton’s centre backs. Ings would end up dropping back to get the ball and leave us even more ineffective up top 

Watkins movement isn’t the best anyways. We have some players who’s help. I know the whole setup and management is a mess. But Watkins doesn’t help either. His only good link was with Grealish and that was straight forward. Grealish used to get lot of players focusing on him which gives Watkins space and he gives him and eady ball. Phil and Emi want to send some surprised attacks which needs smart moves and that needs Ings. For me Archer would be a great choice and would be great investing our time on him. But I think Ings is good aswell. 

If it was about hoofballs and hold up, Davis was much better than all and we didn’t play him nor kept him.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2022 at 17:51, IrishVilla10 said:

I agree with plenty of what you say here - for me Watkins has had more than his fair share of chances and failed to deliver.

I think it’s time to give Ings the same level of opportunity and an extended run in the team.

it’s impossible to gain any sort of momentum or build confidence when you are in for one and then out for the next 3/4.

He plays knowing that unless he scores, most likely he will be dropped - this cannot be how any striker operates successfully surely?

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I agree with plenty of what you say here - for me Watkins has had more than his fair share of chances and failed to deliver.

I think it’s time to give Ings the same level of opportunity and an extended run in the team.

it’s impossible to gain any sort of momentum or build confidence when you are in for one and then out for the next 3/4.

He plays knowing that unless he scores, most likely he will be dropped - this cannot be how any striker operates successfully surely?

I really rate Ings but he’s going to be completely ineffective playing how we did at the weekend. The way I see it whoever we play up tops going to have a tough job feeding off scraps, you have Ings who’s better on the ball and Ollie who’s better at pressing defenders. Neither are going to get loads of chances 

11 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Ings can’t play alone up top, he’s hardly done it in his career either. If we play only one striker it has to be Watkins.

I still quite like us playing two up top though.

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ings can’t play alone up top, he’s hardly done it in his career either. If we play only one striker it has to be Watkins.

I still quite like us playing two up top though.

Why not ? He can’t do any worse than Watkins -,let’s be fair, despite all of Watkins bluster exactly what does he achieve ? 
what do we have to lose by giving Ings a run in the team - I think you might have a pleasant surprise in store and I feel sure that his goal return will trump Watkins. I am not saying he is a long term solution for us, I just think he is our best option right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Why not ? He can’t do any worse than Watkins -,let’s be fair, despite all of Watkins bluster exactly what does he achieve ? 
what do we have to lose by giving Ings a run in the team - I think you might have a pleasant surprise in store and I feel sure that his goal return will trump Watkins. I am not saying he is a long term solution for us, I just think he is our best option right now.

The way we’ve apparently decided to play now, long balls for a lone striker to chase down, would be difficult for anyone. Lots of thankless running. It’s not what Ings is good at.

18 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Ings can’t play up top alone the same way Ollie does imo, and we also don’t create chances for him 

16 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Ings can’t play up top alone the same way Ollie does imo, and we also don’t create chances for him 

My point is this - can he really be any worse than Watkins? Ings may not be as nimble as Watkins, but he is not lazy.

I agree when you say that we don’t create chances - If we could Morph them into each other, imagine what a player?

On 17/09/2022 at 19:35, abdulaziz1 said:

Would be interesting to see the 2 up top, with Ollie and Archer.

Ollie to do the donkey work, and Archer to finish!

I think Ollie has been good this season in general. He's had a few stinkers where the ball bounces off him but he's had more good than bad. He's getting pretty much 0 service. It's not like he's missing loads of chances, he's barely getting anything. 

Â