Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Bailey was the bigger issue. Won a couple of key headers. Also made a key challenge late on in defence. 

Bailey was also the bigger issue in that he doesn't draw other players in away from Watkins, neither does coutinho or any of the midfield

Not only can the CB stay tight to Watkins they can double up on him pretty much all game

I thought he was poor too but at the same time the guy doesn't stand a chance, we could have far better players being made to look poor in this team, it wasn't until Buendia came on that anyone even attempted a through ball to him 

1 minute ago, birdman said:

Service or not Ollie isn't an all out goalscorer is he. Has all the hard work and none of the instinct or desire. Yes he does other things well but honestly where are our goals going to come from this season? I'm concerned.

Um, how can you work hard without desire?

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I genuinely think I have a better first touch than him but there's not a lot even he can do given our 'style' of play at the moment. He's the least of our worries right now.

I wouldn’t say the least of our worries, he’s definitely one of them. But he’s lucky that we have a lot of worries. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Thought he grafted well last night and put a shift in, but his first touch is just way off where it needs to be for a top PL striker. Much more suited to a counterattacking system really, trying to play a more possession based game really highlights his limitations. Shame, as I like him really

Are we even trying to play a possession based game? The only through ball I can remember for him was when Buendia came on. He was fighting Salisu and Bella kotchap for hoof balls the whole game, haaland would have looked average up top for us last night 

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Are we even trying to play a possession based game? The only through ball I can remember for him was when Buendia came on. He was fighting Salisu and Bella kotchap for hoof balls the whole game, haaland would have looked average up top for us last night 

There was another good ball played through to him as well which just bounced off him.

Tbh I don't know what we're trying to do tactics-wise, but my general point was that he was well-suited to the fast counter attacking football we played under Smith. Whatever were doing at the moment is really not helping him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

There was another good ball played through to him as well which just bounced off him.

Tbh I don't know what we're trying to do tactics-wise, but my general point was that he was well-suited to the fast counter attacking football we played under Smith. Whatever were doing at the moment is really not helping him

I agree, Bailey will be seeing Perraud in his sleep after that first half yesterday. Coutinho was much better but who’s creating chances for Ollie at the minute, our biggest goal threats Douglas taking corners and he doesn’t even start 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I genuinely think I have a better first touch than him but there's not a lot even he can do given our 'style' of play at the moment. He's the least of our worries right now.

He does contribute to our "style" of play though.  I can't quite understand how he can make so many decent runs down the flanks and yet as soon as he is in a central position he seems to stand still and wait for the ball to come with him.  He is too often completely static, making it hard for our attacking midfielders to get the ball to him - let alone our CMs.  The lack of central movement and his desire to attack the flanks are at least part of the reason why we seem to fall back into the "pump the ball forwards and hope tactic".  He doesn't seem to find ways of combining with Coutts, Emi or Bailey and so they get more isolated too.  Cause or effect - I am not sure.  But good strikers have a habit of making things happen in and around the box and that is a knack that Ollie doesn't seem to have.  I think the ST role issue is the second of our problems behind sorting out the ****ing central midfield which has been screaming to be looked at for years.  Every time I think Gerrard might be about to address it, he seems to switch back and ignore any buds of hope.

• Like 1

Â