Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

FWIW I think we need to keep Ollie. Ings has been far more injury prone and doesn't get through anywhere near the same ground as Ollie, and he's a lot slower. I think it's the last position we need to weaken at the moment, especially if we want to chase european football next season. Until him or Ings are suitably replaced I see no need to let either go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Vardy must be due a trip to the glue factory anytime soon , so I could see Watkins going to Leicester as his replacement , similar sort of workhorse style 

They already have Daka for that. Leicester sign their replacements a year ahead… that’s what I want us to do more of…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

This season - Bowen, Watkins, Smith Rowe, Saka, Mount, Sterling, Vardy, Toney, Kane and Vardy have all hit double figures in the league. Hardly some elite club.

That’s pretty elite. You are a harsh judge!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

That’s pretty elite. You are a harsh judge!

I knew someone would pick me up on that. I should have said not exclusive rather than elite, as that's what I meant ;)

Do get your point, but Watkins general play frustrates me that much, I can never look just purely at his numbers unfortunately.

• Like 1

Certainly a Moyes type of forward, would West Ham really pay 40m + for him though? There's no way we'd demand less given he hit 15 in his debut season and even in his poorer second he's still hit double figures in the league.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Certainly a Moyes type of forward, would West Ham really pay 40m + for him though? There's no way we'd demand less given he hit 15 in his debut season and even in his poorer second he's still hit double figures in the league.

I wouldn't take anything less than £50m+ for him, we paid £30m and i'd imagine Brentford probably have a sell on clause.

If he’s hit double figures after having such a ropey season overall then maybe it’s worth giving him another shot next season after all. 

I’ve been admittedly quite harsh on him this year and a few months ago would have happily sold him but he has started to pick up again a bit recently and put a few away so maybe he is getting better at juggling footballer v dad now? 

I think upwards of £40m would be tempting. But only if we have some concrete plans about replacements. For a player with that first touch and ropey form, it represents good value. Question is: will Ollie want to leave? He’s very much a Smith signing 

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think upwards of £40m would be tempting. But only if we have some concrete plans about replacements. For a player with that first touch and ropey form, it represents good value. Question is: will Ollie want to leave? He’s very much a Smith signing 

I don't think £40m would represent a great deal, I wouldn't entertain the idea of selling him especially to West Ham for less than £50m+.  He's an England international who hits double figures, and selling him to a direct rival who are in the exact place we want to be would be bad business unless it's for a ridiculous fee..

• Like 2

if we let him go there then as soon as he started scoring a few goals for them there would be outrage on here and on twitter with people up in arms about it. the same thing happened with targett when digne was going through that spell. hope he is fit for the next 2 games as can see him matching the 14 goal tally from last season.

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

40m would be terrible.  We bought him for 33 and Brentford almost certainly have a sell on clause.

We'd be out of pocket at 40m from an FFP perspective, and effectively we'll have paid to develop him and gain him experience for a rival.

50m probably gets us a small profit, so I don't see any club coming in with enough to make us sell.

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

40m would be terrible.  We bought him for 33 and Brentford almost certainly have a sell on clause.

We'd be out of pocket at 40m from an FFP perspective, and effectively we'll have paid to develop him and gain him experience for a rival.

50m probably gets us a small profit, so I don't see any club coming in with enough to make us sell.

Fair point, I think it would have to be £50m unless Watkins puts a transfer request in and settle for £45m or something otherwise no dice 

He's got many areas he frustrates in but gives us so so much in a positive way as well.

Always thought what Carragher kept saying in that Liverpool game other day. He's just a pain in the arse to play against, and I quite like having them at Villa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Question is: will Ollie want to leave?

It's one of those things isn't it; he's not a Villa fan (and we know how much that counts!!) and it'd be a draw to go to London and play for a team in Europe. In this situation I always think: Why stay? Unless it's a settled family situation.

I don’t think we even start talking to West Ham or whoever unless between £50-55m is offered. Even then, I would consider it be an opening offer.

Another thing to consider here is Watkins himself may fancy a move back down south. I could be wrong but wasn’t there talk of his girlfriend wanting to be closer to London? 

Â